KC, TB & the Bills fire O.C.'s in pre-season

Chandler#81

Jaworski brought this up yesterday, stating it's absolutely 'moronic' to do such a thing. The entire off season planning, play structuring and personnel groupings get flushed down the toliet days before the games start to count.

Since 2 of the teams have played each other, somebody HAD to win one..

We're playing the 'other' one later as well, so there's hope there too.

The line is very fine between all teams. Consciously destroying your entire offensive direction -no matter how it's perceived- on the eve of a season, drops your team below the line.

I believe we're in better overall shape than KC & TB with the 'handoff' to AVP, but there's got to be an adjustment time that's going to cost us -and maybe the staff..

Jaworski brought this up yesterday, stating it's absolutely 'moronic' to do such a thing. The entire off season planning, play structuring and personnel groupings get flushed down the toliet days before the games start to count.

The line is very fine between all teams. Consciously destroying your entire offensive direction -no matter how it's perceived- on the eve of a season, drops your team below the line.

I believe we're in better overall shape than KC & TB with the 'handoff' to AVP, but there's got to be an adjustment time that's going to cost us -and maybe the staff..

The timing was definitely not great, and we don't know how things would've played out had the changes not been made, but in these cases I think the records had a decent chance to have been the same (or close to the same) no matter what they did. 3 very mediocre teams, talent-wise, with a pretty tough stretch of opening games, generally. We'll see how it plays out over the season, but on balance it seems like with these teams there wasn't a heck of a lot of downside risk.

KC: Ravens, Raiders, Eagles

Bucs: Cowboys, Bills, Giants

Bills: Patriots, Bucs, Saints

The timing was definitely not great, and we don't know how things would've played out had the changes not been made, but in these cases I think the records had a decent chance to have been the same (or close to the same) no matter what they did. 3 very mediocre teams, talent-wise, with a pretty tough stretch of opening games, generally. We'll see how it plays out over the season, but on balance it seems like with these teams there wasn't a heck of a lot of downside risk.

KC: Ravens, Raiders, Eagles

Bucs: Cowboys, Bills, Giants

Bills: Patriots, Bucs, Saints

Good points about the recent history of the 3 teams. The other 2 have entirely new coahing staffs, which, IMO, makes it even more daft that they punted on their direction so early. We, with 3 striaght 7-9's, seemed poised to take the next step and contend, given the continuity of the team and staff. For this to happen, we have to start Sunday -winning against our division!

Jaworski is very very good @ breaking down coaches' film on the NFL Matchup show. Beyond that, I don't care to listen to him and his "points from the passing game" rhetoric. Much like Solomon Weelcots (good insight, but horrible to listen to on Sirius when given hours to talk 'bout teams like our Buffalo Beels), stick to those few minutes where you sound great as opposed to those hours where you feel the need to fill as much airspace as you can w/ junk.

Interesting to note that the one victory came against another team that fired their coordinator. Re AVP, he's gotta start showing he knows how to use WRs -- i.e., getting his studs open consistently against decent teams, like good offensive coordinators do -- before I jump on his bandwagon.

Yeah how did that firing of OC's work out? 1-8? Hummm....

I think everyone pretty much knew that the Chiefs and Bucs were in a rebuilding stage and we are 1-2 (should be 2-1) keeping every game close. Trent is who we thought he was :unsure: and is still erratic at times. This isn't AVP's fault. Do you honestly believe that Schonert would have this offense in any better shape right now after watching them through the preseason? I don't.

The Bills woud have beaten the Pats* if it weren't for a special teams fumble. For two weeks AVP was a genius. Now we are idiots for firing Turk? Jeebuz, I've seen weathervanes be more decisive.

I can only assume Jaws had to submit any story and figured he'd go with this one, lumping the Bills in to make a weak point slightly less weak.

The Bills woud have beaten the Pats* if it weren't for a special teams fumble. For two weeks AVP was a genius. Now we are idiots for firing Turk? Jeebuz, I've seen weathervanes be more decisive.

PTR

Um, but they didn't beat the Pats. In fact, the Pats beat them by making plays in crunch time. Plus there's the matter of the Pats complete statistical domination of the Bills and our heroes' inability to get the ball in the hands of their highest paid playmakers.

Um, but they didn't beat the Pats. In fact, the Pats beat them by making plays in crunch time. Plus there's the matter of the Pats complete statistical domination of the Bills and our heroes' inability to get the ball in the hands of their highest paid playmakers.

Again...AVP was hailed a hero and a significant upgrade over Schoenert after that game. Same after the TB win. So what's the story this week? He's an idiot?

PTR

I think everyone pretty much knew that the Chiefs and Bucs were in a rebuilding stage and we are 1-2 (should be 2-1) keeping every game close. Trent is who we thought he was :thumbsup: and is still erratic at times. This isn't AVP's fault. Do you honestly believe that Schonert would have this offense in any better shape right now after watching them through the preseason? I don't.

No, I don't. But I believe we'd be much further developed with the AVP offense if the Turk visited the Turk at the end of last season. I think this is more to Jaws' rant. I like our players and I like what we've seen inklings of with Alex at the helm. I also think we'd have had better answers last Sunday, if it were AVP's offense from mini-camp on. JMO.

Well, few people would have as firm a grasp on the 'moronic' at Jaworski.

Whatever TB and KC are doing is completely irrelevant to the Bills. If they were both 3-0, would that make the Bills decision to go with AVP a better one? Of course not.

The fact is this offense has gone nowhere in the recent past and was going nowhere this season. A change had to be made. It should have been done before the end of preseason, but it was still better than wasting another season before making a change. And for the first two games of the year, there was noticable improvement.