Just home from the game Part Two. Sorry if this was discussed.

Lv-Bills

When he decided to defer to the second half and give the best offense in the NFL the ball first yesterday? I mean, I'm sure he deferred, because it's "what every coach does".

Seriously though, the Bills win the toss, and we give them the ball. The best offense in the league effectively takes the ball, shove it up our asssses, and take the crowd right out of the game. Would anyone else have taken the ball first, besides me? This may be a bad question now that everyone knows how bad the offense played, but seriously, why would you give the ball to the Saints out of the gate?

When he decided to defer to the second half and give the best offense in the NFL the ball first yesterday? I mean, I'm sure he deferred, because it's "what every coach does".

Seriously though, the Bills win the toss, and we give them the ball. They effectively take the ball, shove it up our assss, and take the crowd right out of the game. Would anyone else have taken the ball first, besides me? This may be a bad question now that everyone knows how bad the offense played, but seriously, why would you give the ball to the Saints out of the gate?

I never got why people make such a big issue about this. If you stop the offense and force a punt, you have a chance to get good field position. Additionally, you get the ball to start teh 2nd half after a chance to make halftime adjustments.

It's a non-issue IMO.

I never got why people make such a big issue about this. If you stop the offense and force a punt, you have a chance to get good field position. Additionally, you get the ball to start teh 2nd half after a chance to make halftime adjustments.

It's a non-issue IMO.

No one has stopped the Saints offense all year. Fact. Why not take the ball, and make them play catchup once? Why would put the best offense in the NFL on the field right off the bat? I would have taken the ball, in this game only. The Saints unit that could dominate the game, in turn, got the ball, and set the tone of the game instead of us doing it.

Seemed gutless to me.

I agree 100%. As soon as the FREAKIN' COIN TOSS happened, I knew we'd lost the game. If anything sums up the PURE IDIOCY that is Dick Jauron, it's the decision to give the best offense in the NFL the ball to start out the game. And I'm sure his textbook tells him to kick, because that's one less possession (theoretically) for NO. Which is why this Ivory Tower coaching staff gets their buts whipped in every alley fight they find themselves in. God I hate this coaching staff.

I'll trash jauron for everything else, but NEVER for deferring. Deferring is always the right choice. Its gives you a shot at having free back to back possessions, not to mention you get to make halftime adjustments and get first crack with the ball.

Deferring is always correct,

As I commented on during the official game thread here, it was the wrong decision IMO. It goes along with his rationalization about the fourth quarter punt. He has rules which he dogmatically adheres to.

Great thinkers allow themselves to think unconventionally. Jauron on the other hand is a slave to many ultra-conservative, defeatist pathologies. He has the same attitude as guys like Marty Schottenheimer and Jim Mora...both much better coaches of course than Jauron.

But in common they all contributed to their own demise with ridiculously safe decision-making.

Greatness and glory are things that you grab at...not hope for.

It's a non-issue IMO.

Exactly. Too many people either don't understand the game or are just looking for unnecessary reasons to bash Jauron. We had the ball to end the half. We then got the opening kickoff of the 2nd half. That's an opportunity to score 14 unanswered points with the Saints offense not even stepping on the field. And that is exactly why so many coaches defer. Of course, you have to have a competent offense to score those points which seems like a much more appropriate reason to bash the coaching staff to me.

It's a non-issue IMO.

2-23

How did those 2nd half adjustments work out?

I'll trash jauron for everything else, but NEVER for deferring. Deferring is always the right choice. Its gives you a shot at having free back to back possessions, not to mention you get to make halftime adjustments and get first crack with the ball.

Deferring is always correct,

Disagree. Unless the weather is a factor it is not always correct.

Seriously though, the Bills win the toss, and we give them the ball. The best offense in the league effectively takes the ball, shove it up our asssses, and take the crowd right out of the game. Would anyone else have taken the ball first, besides me? This may be a bad question now that everyone knows how bad the offense played, but seriously, why would you give the ball to the Saints out of the gate?

Normally I'm a defer guy; but I thought the same thing this game. You cannot have the Saints offense on the field first--absolutely cannot! We could have taken some time off the clock, hopefully got into FG position, and put them into an early hole.