New Article on TBD

KRC

Good stuff, Ken. Thanks!

I disagree about Bennett. He had much more impact than Talley, starting with his first ever game after the Halloween trade. He became a mainstay in Honolulu, accepted moving inside due to injury and was a true key in the SB run. We were on national TV regularly -obviously in the playoffs- and he shined brightly as a future HOFer. FA came and he left for Atalnta -getting to his 5th SB-, then interestingly enough, Indy. He fell off the radar after leaving the Bills -Atl & Indy were mostly pretty poor teams and his stock dropped, but not his play.

I still marvel at his incredible speed, chasing down RB's sweeping the other way -BEHIND the LOS!

Maybe not now, but I believe sometime in the future -maybe when he reaches 'Old Timer' status- he'll be enshrined.

The Tasker issue is a travesty.

Good stuff, Ken. Thanks!

I disagree about Bennett. He had much more impact than Talley, starting with his first ever game after the Halloween trade. He became a mainstay in Honolulu, accepted moving inside due to injury and was a true key in the SB run. We were on national TV regularly -obviously in the playoffs- and he shined brightly as a future HOFer. FA came and he left for Atalnta -getting to his 5th SB-, then interestingly enough, Indy. He fell off the radar after leaving the Bills -Atl & Indy were mostly pretty poor teams and his stock dropped, but not his play.

I still marvel at his incredible speed, chasing down RB's sweeping the other way -BEHIND the LOS!

Maybe not now, but I believe sometime in the future -maybe when he reaches 'Old Timer' status- he'll be enshrined.

The Tasker issue is a travesty.

No problem with the disagreement. Honestly, I do not see either Talley or Bennett making it in. If they fall to the seniors, forget it. If either are going to get in, it has to be soon. People like Lewis and Seau are both going to appear on the ballot within the next 10 years. They would have to get in before them. After that...no shot.

Here is the second article in my Hall of Fame series. I discuss the Buffalo Bills on the Preliminary list.

The Preliminary Hall of Fame Nominees: Buffalo Bills Edition

Hi Ken,

Great to see a Hall of Fame discussion.

I am much more optimistic regarding Steve Tasker than you are.

For one thing, even the Buffalo Bills did not put him on the Wall of Fame until 2007. If I'm a Hall of Fame voter, I would find it very difficult to vote for an unconventional pick like Tasker at least until his own team put him on its own Wall of Fame. My sense of the Committee is that Tasker will get in eventually - its just a matter of it being a year in which there is a slot available that the voters aren't pushing their own pet projects for.

I also think that Ray Guy will continue to struggle to make it. Despite all the press he gets, a scrutiny of his record indicates that he is most-notable for that one punt that hit the roof of the Super Dome, and being campaigned-for every year on prime time football by John Madden. Before his stroke, Sports Illustrated's Dr. Z was very eloquent in pointing out that it is by no means clear that Ray Guy was the best punter of his era, let alone of all time. It will be interesting to see if the current era, which is practically a "Golden Age of Punting" in the NFL, eventually produces a Hall of Famer at the position. Shane Lechler out in Oakland is slowly building a very interesting case for it - despite having been a boomer who outkicked his coverage early in his career.

As for Kent Hull - you made a slip-up here... Kent was enshrined on the Wall of Fame back in 2002. I was at that game. But yes, its hard to see Hull getting in before Dermontti Dawson. Kent will also suffer from "numbers fatigue" as the voters start to wonder just how many players from a team that never won a Super Bowl can legitimately be enshrined.

Also, in your article, you seem to imply that Talley and Bennett (and maybe even Smerlas) are all legitimate Hall of Famers who are at risk of being passed over. Yet, in your other piece, you suggest that only those players for whom the history of the game could not be written without should be inducted. Do you really believe that the history of the game could not be written without Talley, Bennett, and/or Smerlas? All of them were very good players for the Bills, but I'm not sure any of them rise to the level of being Hall of Famers.

And as for Tom Sestak - does the Hall still include nominees who are eligible for the Seniors Committee on the Preliminary Ballot? I thought I head somewhere that they do not... But if they do - the Hall allows any fan to nominate a player, so perhaps you could address this injustic yourself? ;-)

Thanks for sparking the discussion!

JDG

P.S. My Dad says "hi!"

For one thing, even the Buffalo Bills did not put him on the Wall of Fame until 2007. If I'm a Hall of Fame voter, I would find it very difficult to vote for an unconventional pick like Tasker at least until his own team put him on its own Wall of Fame. My sense of the Committee is that Tasker will get in eventually - its just a matter of it being a year in which there is a slot available that the voters aren't pushing their own pet projects for.

That is one of the items you usually hear from HOF committees. They want the see the team honor the player before they consider them for the national stage. I still think that the committee is going to downgrade any special teamers.

I also think that Ray Guy will continue to struggle to make it. Despite all the press he gets, a scrutiny of his record indicates that he is most-notable for that one punt that hit the roof of the Super Dome, and being campaigned-for every year on prime time football by John Madden. Before his stroke, Sports Illustrated's Dr. Z was very eloquent in pointing out that it is by no means clear that Ray Guy was the best punter of his era, let alone of all time. It will be interesting to see if the current era, which is practically a "Golden Age of Punting" in the NFL, eventually produces a Hall of Famer at the position. Shane Lechler out in Oakland is slowly building a very interesting case for it - despite having been a boomer who outkicked his coverage early in his career.

I don't see Guy making it in. If a special teamer goes in, it will be Tasker.

As for Kent Hull - you made a slip-up here... Kent was enshrined on the Wall of Fame back in 2002. I was at that game. But yes, its hard to see Hull getting in before Dermontti Dawson. Kent will also suffer from "numbers fatigue" as the voters start to wonder just how many players from a team that never won a Super Bowl can legitimately be enshrined.

I do not see Hull getting in. Tasker and Reed have the best shot from the Super Bowl era and I am having a hard time seeing the committee voting either into the HOF.

Also, in your article, you seem to imply that Talley and Bennett (and maybe even Smerlas) are all legitimate Hall of Famers who are at risk of being passed over. Yet, in your other piece, you suggest that only those players for whom the history of the game could not be written without should be inducted. Do you really believe that the history of the game could not be written without Talley, Bennett, and/or Smerlas? All of them were very good players for the Bills, but I'm not sure any of them rise to the level of being Hall of Famers.

Honestly? No. None of the three (Talley, Bennett, Smerlas) are qualified for the Hall of Fame.

And as for Tom Sestak - does the Hall still include nominees who are eligible for the Seniors Committee on the Preliminary Ballot? I thought I head somewhere that they do not... But if they do - the Hall allows any fan to nominate a player, so perhaps you could address this injustic yourself? ;-)

No. The seniors committee is separate and not part of the preliminary list. Honestly, the seniors committee is a joke.

P.S. My Dad says "hi!"

It has been a while since I have seen him. How is he doing?

Here is the second article in my Hall of Fame series. I discuss the Buffalo Bills on the Preliminary list.

The Preliminary Hall of Fame Nominees: Buffalo Bills Edition

Another job well done, Kenneth. Though, I do take exception w/ this:

Kent Hull

Brief Bio: Kent Hull was one of the keys to the no-huddle offense run by the Bills during their Super Bowl runs. From 1986 through 1996, Hull only missed two games. He was selected to three Pro Bowls over his career.

My Opinion: Kent Hull is deserving of the honor, but with him going up against Dermontti Dawson, he will not be a later-round finalist. Hopefully, the Bills will put Hull on the Wall of Fame soon. He deserves recognition for his play.

Hull was inducted to the Bills' Wall of Fame in 2002. I do agree that he is HOF worthy and have said so numerous times.

Hi Ken,

Great to see a Hall of Fame discussion.

Thanks for sparking the discussion!

JDG

P.S. My Dad says "hi!"

Hey JDG, long time no see!

As to your Hull thoughts, I agree that it will be tough for him to ever get inducted to the Hall. Dawson was just so dominant, and there were so many others who also got Pro Bowl consideration during Hull's tenure (Mosebar in Oakland, Matthews in Houston/Tennessee, Stepnoski in Tennessee come to mind) that it's amazing that Hull was able to be voted to 3 Pro Bowls w/ all of that competition. It wasn't quite as brutal as the competition NFC receivers had for years, but it certainly puts Hull's 3 nods into a clearer perspective.

Oh yeah, and you beat me to the punch on Kenneth's omission of Hull's Wall of Fame induction. It's so rare that Mr Crippen is off that it is shocking. Well, there is that whole Unitas vs Graham thingy...

Great read. I firmly believe Tasker should get in and even ahead of Reed, assuming Reed makes it. Unfortunately for Andre I tend to believe the longer it goes without admission the less likely it is that he will make it. Tasker on the other hand, may be in the opposite situation. Josh Cribbs has the potential to unseat him as the best ST'er of all time but only time will tell if he gets there. As you said tasker broke new ground.

Sadly, had the Bills won a couple of thise games I think both guys would have had much better chances. The "yeah but"... factor has probably run its course.

Great articles and I agree about some of the odd choice of seniors committee but regarding that seniors committee how would they determine who were official football historians and who were not?

Good question. I'd really like to know as well. Everything I see or read about these guys gives the sense they're homers who don't do their homework. For me, it makes what KRC provides us with even more special!

Great articles and I agree about some of the odd choice of seniors committee but regarding that seniors committee how would they determine who were official football historians and who were not?

Well, they could always turn to the Professional Football Researchers Association to answer that question. :unsure: