As if anyone needed an excuse to call me a bonehead.

Steely Dan

Sorry to hear that, I lost my entire music collection about a year ago, over 15,000 tracks, tracks you just can't find anywhere. Talk about being depressed. I don't think I listened to any music for at least a month afterwards. I should of backed it up, and I still regret that I didn't to this day, and probably most likely always will.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to hear that, I lost my entire music collection about a year ago, over 15,000 tracks, tracks you just can't find anywhere. Talk about being depressed. I don't think I listened to any music for at least a month afterwards. I should of backed it up, and I still regret that I didn't to this day, and probably most likely always will.

Ouch! Lesson learned the hard way ... especially w/how cheap drives are now.

You'd need a piece of hardware for the Window's solution as well.

Which peice of hardware would you rather "lug" around?

Windows Home Server

External Hard Drive

But the Time Machine software already comes built in on every Mac.

And the cost for the Home Server solution is outrageous.

The numbers you quoted were MSRP - and old numbers to boot. You can get a 1TB headless server from Amazon for $392, shipped.

http://www.amazon.com/Acer-Aspire-AH340-UA...4632&sr=8-8

Having to have a separate external harddrive for each PC would be really annoying -- I have 6 PCs in my house (overkil....) and they all backup automatically for me. Plus, like I said, WHS can do far more than just backups.

If you just want a "software + harddrive" solution, then buy Norton Ghost. Stop trying to make your MacOS sound superior. If you like it, great, but no need to bash other solutions, especially when trying to base it on cost since a Mac costs a lot more than a comparable PC.

EDIT: And who said anything about lugging around a server? A portable harddrive caters to a different market than a whole-home server. Stop trying to confuse the issue. Seesh, some people's children.

The numbers you quoted were MSRP - and old numbers to boot. You can get a 1TB headless server from Amazon for $392, shipped.

http://www.amazon.com/Acer-Aspire-AH340-UA...4632&sr=8-8

Having to have a separate external harddrive for each PC would be really annoying -- I have 6 PCs in my house (overkil....) and they all backup automatically for me. Plus, like I said, WHS can do far more than just backups.

If you just want a "software + harddrive" solution, then buy Norton Ghost. Stop trying to make your MacOS sound superior. If you like it, great, but no need to bash other solutions, especially when trying to base it on cost since a Mac costs a lot more than a comparable PC.

EDIT: And who said anything about lugging around a server? A portable harddrive caters to a different market than a whole-home server. Stop trying to confuse the issue. Seesh, some people's children.

For your specific situation, 6 PCs would definitely benefit from having a server. For the situation that I am in (live with 3 girls whom all have their own laptop, including myself) I use a Time Capsule. Built in hard drive with the same 1TB capacity that the WHS uses, and can back up data on multiple computers wirelessly. So yeah, different situations are going to have different solutions. I never said that the solution that I'm currently using was the end-all-be-all. I was merely offering a suggestion, and for the sake of comparison, how possible solutions differed with the Mac and the PC.

As I eluded to in a previous post, and I'll quote myself:

I'm not trying to turn this into a why Mac is better than PC or vice versa argument...There are a number of ways every owner of a computer can back up all their files. It all comes down to cost, convenience, and most of all preference.

You can derive a lot of information on my stance to the whole issue right there.

I don't know where you get that I am trying to say that my Mac is a superior machine. I've read a lot of your posts Fezmid, and I get it, you kow a lot about computers, technology and the like, but when you say such things as "Seesh [sic], some people's children", it's a major disappointment.

in FF, just hit forward-slash. It goes right to search.

YOU ROCK!!

Somebody here told me to get an external hard drive recently, but did I go out and purchase it immediately. :censored:

BTW, Nero is giving me a lot of <_< in order to retrieve a registration number for my software. I understand why that is but before my computer crashed I had purchased an update disc for the program. They didn't seem to understand that I wouldn't have purchased that unless I had a working version on my computer. :thumbsup:

So it seems they want to charge me $70 to get a new disc. (To their credit they did refund my money for the upgrade disc.) I wasn't using the thing much anyway before the crash and I decided to re-install it because I wanted to see if it would be better for some things than other programs I have are. It didn't ask me for a registration number then but efferdently it was wiped out with everything else.

What a bunch of douchebags!!! My agitation grew because they are douchebags and it's a matter of principle now.

This isn't the first time I've had a problem with these douchebags. I think I'll stay away from Nero products from now on. They suck!! :wallbash:

but if you tell someone to use CTRL-F and they succeed, you've boosted their self confidence because they've used one of those funky control alt function keys that only techmalogical gurus understand

Come on, you know that using the / key is better and geekier -- it's a vi command!!!

This isn't the first time I've had a problem with these douchebags. I think I'll stay away from Nero products from now on. They suck!! <_<

They were awesome in the 90s -- now they suck.

There's a thread about free altneratives -- I use a tool from Ashampoo that works great. There's other options as well.

They're based on Germany, so I doubt they'll care much :censored:

They have a corporate office here in the US and the BBB let me use that. If they can't find a company they won't let you complain. Anyhoo, I want to see how these bastards react to it. Even if they treat me like a gadfly at least I've given them a headache!! <_<

They have a corporate office here in the US and the BBB let me use that. If they can't find a company they won't let you complain. Anyhoo, I want to see how these bastards react to it. Even if they treat me like a gadfly at least I've given them a headache!! <_<

Or a chuckle... :thumbsup:

I know where you're coming from though -- I brought an A/v receiver in to get the firmware updated that fixed an HDMI bug. It was supposed to be free, I brought it to the service center, and they didn't know if it was supposed to be free or not (even though I confirmed with them a couple of days earlier...). So after arguing with them about it, I just took it home. They called and said, "Oh yeah, it is supposed to be free! Bring it back!"

Screw that! So I looked at their website and saw that they had a Super Mario Brothers logo on their site -- they modified it so that he was carrying a tool box. I quickly went to Nintendo's website and reported them for copyright infringement. The logo was gone a week later. :censored:

For some stupid reason I felt I must have IE 8 on my computer even though I use Firefox for my default browser. Long story long, I managed to get IE 8 installed but I had to remove service pack 3 for XP. I was so happy for myself. :D I even got svc pack 3 back on the computer. :thumbsup:

Then I began having trouble with my media player, it wouldn't turn on the TV and that sucked. I kept getting an error message everytime I tried to access the TV program. There were no boards on the internet that had a solution.

So then I had the brilliant idea to take the restore disc that I made just after I bought it and see if that would re-install the :unsure: needed to make the TV work again and It worked!! :( But in the course of making it work I erased everything I had stored on my computer. :wallbash:

So for the past eight hours I've been trying to get this mother :censored: er back to semi normal. (i.e. restoring my bookmarks, having trouble remembering my passwords that had been saved in FF, reloading all of the add-ons I had before the crash etc. etc...)

The worst part, as if that isn't enough, was trying to get my emails re-set up. I called Time Warner four times before I got somebody who had a clue and could help me. Efferdentlly they needed a number on the bottom of my modem to do this. Funny thing about that. The sticker that had that number on it had fallen off, never to be seen again. :cry: If that sticker hadn't fallen off this probably could have been solved on the first try.

I've been re-downloading the free stuff I use from on the internet. (i.e. Avira, Malwarebytes and noadware) The programs that I paid for and have disappeared has made me send begging emails to these companies hoping they'll take pity on me and let me download that stuff for free.

So, I have come to the conclusion and I'm sure many of you have already. That I am a bonehead of the highest order.

On the plus side my TV works again and the problem I had with CNN videos not playing are solved, well the CNN thing worked great until I put in some add-ons!!

Oh well, I hope I've brightened your Friday by giving you sumpin to laugh about. I feel like a complete Deerball.

If the Bills win it will go a long way towards easing my pain.

I guess Gangsta Kitty gets a few good bullets to shoot at me cause I'm a Jackass!! I'm sure Deano is the person laughing the hardest at me.

There's a product called "Stellar Phoenix" that I just found that might be able to recover the deleted files. There's a free version for download that'll scan your drive and tell you what it can recover...for the actual recovery, though, you have to register it for $100. Nice, though, that you can find out if it'll work BEFORE you pay for it.

We had a server drive at work crash last week (that my INCREDIBLY !@#$ING STUPID sysadmin hadn't backed up since February :wallbash:) with a damaged boot sector. That software was the only one of a dozen tools I tried that got all the data off of it. So I'll vouch for it. But not for my sysadmin. Oh, no...not him.

They were awesome in the 90s -- now they suck.

There's a thread about free altneratives -- I use a tool from Ashampoo that works great. There's other options as well.

I have Nero somewhere on my HD. It was a popular "throw-in" with this or that piece of HW. I never bothered about exploring it's features - I use CD-ROMs to back up things from time to time (you know about my small usage of my HD's space, Fez, so doing other than the occasional dump of files is all I need.)

I did discover that XP Sp3 lets me highlight, copy and finally record.

So I'll blow Nero away, run the protection updates, run disk cleanup, Defrag, then re-boot.

Sorry, Steely - these discussions about your problems is my gain. :unsure:

There's a product called "Stellar Phoenix" that I just found that might be able to recover the deleted files. There's a free version for download that'll scan your drive and tell you what it can recover...for the actual recovery, though, you have to register it for $100. Nice, though, that you can find out if it'll work BEFORE you pay for it.

We had a server drive at work crash last week (that my INCREDIBLY !@#$ING STUPID sysadmin hadn't backed up since February :unsure:) with a damaged boot sector. That software was the only one of a dozen tools I tried that got all the data off of it. So I'll vouch for it. But not for my sysadmin. Oh, no...not him.

Yeah, but he re-installed his OS, so alot of the files wold be at least partially overwritten.

We had a server drive at work crash last week (that my INCREDIBLY !@#$ING STUPID sysadmin hadn't backed up since February :censored:) with a damaged boot sector. That software was the only one of a dozen tools I tried that got all the data off of it. So I'll vouch for it. But not for my sysadmin. Oh, no...not him.

So far I'm doing well, my arcsoftphotostudio 5.5 survived the crash. I don't know why but I like it. (cross fingers)

I have Nero somewhere on my HD. It was a popular "throw-in" with this or that piece of HW. I never bothered about exploring it's features - I use CD-ROMs to back up things from time to time (you know about my small usage of my HD's space, Fez, so doing other than the occasional dump of files is all I need.)

I did discover that XP Sp3 lets me highlight, copy and finally record.

So I'll blow Nero away, run the protection updates, run disk cleanup, Defrag, then re-boot.

Sorry, Steely - these discussions about your problems is my gain. :thumbsup:

A big part of the reason I wrote this thread is to help others. I'm glad you're getting something out of it. I'm sure others who don't post are probably too. :unsure: