As if anyone needed an excuse to call me a bonehead.

Steely Dan

For some stupid reason I felt I must have IE 8 on my computer even though I use Firefox for my default browser. Long story long, I managed to get IE 8 installed but I had to remove service pack 3 for XP. I was so happy for myself. :D I even got svc pack 3 back on the computer. :thumbsup:

Then I began having trouble with my media player, it wouldn't turn on the TV and that sucked. I kept getting an error message everytime I tried to access the TV program. There were no boards on the internet that had a solution.

So then I had the brilliant idea to take the restore disc that I made just after I bought it and see if that would re-install the <_< needed to make the TV work again and It worked!! :( But in the course of making it work I erased everything I had stored on my computer. :wallbash:

So for the past eight hours I've been trying to get this mother :censored: er back to semi normal. (i.e. restoring my bookmarks, having trouble remembering my passwords that had been saved in FF, reloading all of the add-ons I had before the crash etc. etc...) :doh:

The worst part, as if that isn't enough, was trying to get my emails re-set up. I called Time Warner four times before I got somebody who had a clue and could help me. Efferdentlly they needed a number on the bottom of my modem to do this. Funny thing about that. The sticker that had that number on it had fallen off, never to be seen again. :cry: If that sticker hadn't fallen off this probably could have been solved on the first try.

I've been re-downloading the free stuff I use from on the internet. (i.e. Avira, Malwarebytes and noadware) The programs that I paid for and have disappeared has made me send begging emails to these companies hoping they'll take pity on me and let me download that stuff for free.

So, I have come to the conclusion and I'm sure many of you have already. That I am a bonehead of the highest order.

On the plus side my TV works again and the problem I had with CNN videos not playing are solved, well the CNN thing worked great until I put in some add-ons!! :angry:

Oh well, I hope I've brightened your Friday by giving you sumpin to laugh about. I feel like a complete Deerball.

If the Bills win it will go a long way towards easing my pain. :worthy:

I guess Gangsta Kitty gets a few good bullets to shoot at me cause I'm a Jackass!! I'm sure Deano is the person laughing the hardest at me.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's why I highly recommend Windows Home Server. It automatically backs up all of the machines on your network. Something breaks, you just restore back to a point in the past, and after a 20 minute restore process, your PC looks exactly the way it did the day of the backup. <_<

You can buy an appliance from Asus or HP, or you can just build your own. Works great. It's also a nice central file server, and has some other neat features like accessing your files from outside the house if you want.

I feel your pain Steely ... been there, done that.

I haven't gone full blown back-up like Fez described, but I'm set-up for quick rebuildability. I'm rough on computers and need to re-build every 9-12 months just because I've installed and un-installed so many things.

I have 3 hard drives in my machine (1.3TB total) ... one for my OS and 2 for data and storage. That doesn't even include the 4 USB flash drives I have and one powered USB drive ... My OS drive has a small partition which contains my most recent ghost image. All data/downloads gets stored on one of the other drives. If I fry the OS or want to re-build, I just reflash the ghost image and am back up in 5-10 minutes. I'll have to re-install anything that I installed since the ghost image was made, but odds are I don't really need that software anyways and I just re-install it when I need it.

Bottom line, I trust nothing (including DVDs) and keep 2 copies of everything.

Or you could get a Mac, which comes installed with a piece of software called "Time Machine", which works similar to the Windows Home Server that Fezmid described, but it's not an unwieldy piece of hardware. Its actually just a piece of software that is included with the new Snow Leopard operating system that Apple recently unveiled.

The only thing you need with the Time Machine is an external hard drive, and it backs everthing up for you automatically, essentially taking you "back in time" if something like what you described occurs.

Just another reason to buy a Mac IMHO.

Or you could get a Mac, which comes installed with a piece of software called "Time Machine", which works similar to the Windows Home Server that Fezmid described, but it's not an unwieldy piece of hardware. Its actually just a piece of software that is included with the new Snow Leopard operating system that Apple recently unveiled.

The only thing you need with the Time Machine is an external hard drive, and it backs everthing up for you automatically, essentially taking you "back in time" if something like what you described occurs.

Just another reason to buy a Mac IMHO.

So you need a piece of hardware still.

I recommend that people like Steely Dan disconnect all cables, pack everything back in the original box, and return it to wherever they got it from

<_<

But then the only time we'll get to see his posts is between 3pm-5pm when the library is open and he can use their computers.

So you need a piece of hardware still.

You'd need a piece of hardware for the Window's solution as well.

Which peice of hardware would you rather "lug" around?

Windows Home Server

External Hard Drive

But the Time Machine software already comes built in on every Mac.

And the cost for the Home Server solution is outrageous.

How much will Windows Home Server cost?

OEMs will set the final pricing for their products, depending on the storage capacity and additional capabilities. The HP MediaSmart Server, for example, will be offered in a 500-gigabyte version for a suggested price of $599 and 1-terabyte model for $749.

Windows Home Server

External Hard Drive

After factoring in the start-up cost of owning a Mac vs a PC, that solution doesn't sound so outrageous.

Windows Home Server

External Hard Drive

My problem with your initial post is that you said...

Its actually just a piece of software that is included with the new Snow Leopard operating system that Apple recently unveiled.

but then later included...

The only thing you need with the Time Machine is an external hard drive,

So it's not "just a piece of software", you still need hardware also, just like with WHS. And the backup functions sound the same, so it's a matter of cost, the additional cost of going with WHS, or the initial startup cost of getting a Mac.

Its actually just a piece of software that is included with the new Snow Leopard operating system that Apple recently unveiled.

So it's not "just a piece of software", you still need hardware also, just like with WHS. And the backup functions sound the same, so it's a matter of cost, the additional cost of going with WHS, or the initial startup cost of getting a Mac.

Plus, you don't need to go the full home server route...it's an extreme way of doing it for those with the funds.

I back all my data up on an external hard drive and lock it in a fire-proof safe. Same price as doing it on a Mac.

When I said that it's actually just a piece of software, I was referring to the time machine software that comes with every new Mac. It's common sense that if you're going to be backing up your computer, unless you're using something like Mozy, you're still going to need a piece of hardware.

I'm not trying to turn this into a why Mac is better than PC or vice versa argument, otherwise I'd feel like your avatar Jack. There are a number of ways every owner of a computer can back up all their files. It all comes down to cost, convenience, and most of all preference.

I recommend that people like Steely Dan disconnect all cables, pack everything back in the original box, and return it to wherever they got it from

:thumbsup:

:censored:Jackass!!

I had an add-on on my previous FF. It would let you type in a word or phrase and it would take you right to that word or phrase on the page. It saved a lot of time looking through pages. I can't remember the name of the add-on. Does anyone know? <_<

:censored:Jackass!!

I had an add-on on my previous FF. It would let you type in a word or phrase and it would take you right to that word or phrase on the page. It saved a lot of time looking through pages. I can't remember the name of the add-on. Does anyone know? <_<

LOL wut? Type control-f much?