I need some user interface advice...

SDS

Aussie informed me (correctly) that navigating to the forums is confusing because all the links take you directly here, and no one knows about all the other forums on the "outside" of this one.

Any suggestions?

We have really three links. The one in the header, the ones in the menu, and the one on the side bar with the latest discussions. How can we balance convenience on going to the main forum, with letting new readers know about all the other forums too?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

honestly, i like that i can go directly to TSW from the main page. its like Mitch Hedberg said about Pepperidge Farm bread's double wrapping... "I don't need another step between me and toast"

you missed the point. People who go straight here and are message board novices, don't know about all the other forums.

A few things that might help:

You really don't need two links to TSW on the same page. You could change the one in the header to read "Buffalo Bills Forums". I suggest you use the same name as the menu for consistency. Also for consistent look & feel, I suggest you change "Aud Club" to "Buffalo Sabres Forums" too.

It might help to use acronym tags to put tooltips on those menu options, so when new users hover their mouse over one of those links, a brief explanation of what the link leads to gets displayed.

If the forum SW lets you, it might help to make the font of "Buffalo Bills Forums" in the menu more prominent. For example:

Buffalo Bills Forums > Sports Talk > The Stadium Wall

Edited by DonInBuffalo

Something to keep in mind is that, when you changed "www.stadiumwall.com" to "forums.twobillsdrive.com", your argument was to strengthen the TBD brand.

So what you might consider is changing the "The Stadium Wall" heading in the forums box on the TBD page to "Two Bills Drive Forums" on the same principle, and making that heading a link. Keep everything else the same..."Latest Discussions on the Stadium Wall" and all the discussions, etc.

At any rate, making that heading a link to the forums here is sound and pretty standard UI design pattern, whatever the heading is.

i just went to check a few of them out.

i'll happily trade in knowing about the Consumer Forum and Health & Fitness Forum if i never have to see the PPP forum ever again

Yeah, well...not everyone's strong or confident enough to post on PPP. It's not for the weak.

:rolleyes:

Yeah, well...not everyone's strong or confident enough to post on PPP. It's not for the weak.

:lol:

ha! i just cant call people "retard" enough to hang with the big boys :rolleyes:

edit for sds: not a fan of the extra click to get through to the board. i know people dont like change so whatever. but as some feedback, ill probably change my bookmark to take me right to the board and bypass the main page altogether. ehh

ha! i just cant call people "retard" enough to hang with the big boys :rolleyes:

That's the entire purpose of PPP...where else can you hone such sharp and witty rhetorical skills? An infinite Steely Dan "last post wins" thread? I don't think so.

edit for sds: not a fan of the extra click to get through to the board. i know people dont like change so whatever. but as some feedback, ill probably change my bookmark to take me right to the board and bypass the main page altogether.

I already do that. But really, you and I aren't the target of the UI redesign. It's the user who's looking for Bills news and finds TBD. The page needs a better "hey, there's a lot of forums here, too" grab, is what SDS is asking for. Or at least I think he is.

That's the entire purpose of PPP...where else can you hone such sharp and witty rhetorical skills? An infinite Steely Dan "last post wins" thread? I don't think so.

I already do that. But really, you and I aren't the target of the UI redesign. It's the user who's looking for Bills news and finds TBD. The page needs a better "hey, there's a lot of forums here, too" grab, is what SDS is asking for. Or at least I think he is.

Think Aussie's original point -- a valid one -- was that people looking for road-trip info were having a tough time finding those boards. Ditto for the Bills Backers one.

edit for sds: not a fan of the extra click to get through to the board. i know people dont like change so whatever. but as some feedback, ill probably change my bookmark to take me right to the board and bypass the main page altogether. ehh

see if what I did is sufficient.

yeah, he's already made his millions off of our clicks :rolleyes:

Think Aussie's original point -- a valid one -- was that people looking for road-trip info were having a tough time finding those boards. Ditto for the Bills Backers one.

yeah, i can see that. im just being adverse to minor change, ignore it.

This was the motivation. After she described it to me, I was like "absolutely. I can see that happening."