This week's blackouts: Oakland, Detroit.

Lori

http://www.freep.com/article/20090924/SPOR...ked-out-locally

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?.../s131345D62.DTL

Buffalo is not on that list despite a second consecutive game against an NFC team without a national fanbase, for those pundits who seem to think the Bills still have problems selling tickets.

And did someone forget to tell the people in Jacksonville that their home opener was last weekend? Wow.

Yeah- i remember well when Buffalo games were blacked out through much of the 80's. The Bills have done a great job "regionalizing" the team. People here just have passion for the Bills and care. Jax has been discussed to death here. It's just a lousy pro football market with little corporate support. Oakland has just become a joke with it's demented owner, crummy stadium and poor draft picks. Detroit...well, I think they could be a good football market but are 0-18 since last season and have been awful. Many cities including Buffalo would not support that mess. Hopefully they can be decent this year. Lot's of blackouts coming this year in many cities.

Buffalo is not on that list despite a second consecutive game against an NFC team without a national fanbase, for those pundits who seem to think the Bills still have problems selling tickets.

And did someone forget to tell the people in Jacksonville that their home opener was last weekend? Wow.

The Bills have as many wins in the Dick Jauron era as the Raiders and Lions combined over the same time period.

I know J'ville's attendance was bad, but that looks REALLY bad. That picture was from the 2nd quarter!

Something doesn't make sense in that picture. That looks like 5,000 people there.BTW, i get Detriot not selling out, 18% unemployment and that team..not rocket surgery as they say

Yeah- i remember well when Buffalo games were blacked out through much of the 80's. The Bills have done a great job "regionalizing" the team. People here just have passion for the Bills and care.

It is not all rationalization. What really feeds early game sellouts is the ability for season ticket holders to buy extra tickets, many of which go directly in scalpers hands. I know tickets are available from other sources and I know that Bills tickets cost are on average lowest in league but this practice results in some attempting to get tickets and finding out only later games are available and never organizing a group to attend.

I do not know if NFL will allow it but if they do Buffalo ought to look at "demand pricing" where earlier (or higher demand) games cost more from Bills allowing them to lower prices on later games. Season ticket holders would not pay any additional money but prices Bills get would reflect more the market value. I have seen this model used in other sports and it has been successful in selling seats which otherwise would be unsold or given away/bought by sponsor or team.

It is not all rationalization. What really feeds early game sellouts is the ability for season ticket holders to buy extra tickets, many of which go directly in scalpers hands. I know tickets are available from other sources and I know that Bills tickets cost are on average lowest in league but this practice results in some attempting to get tickets and finding out only later games are available and never organizing a group to attend.

I do not know if NFL will allow it but if they do Buffalo ought to look at "demand pricing" where earlier (or higher demand) games cost more from Bills allowing them to lower prices on later games. Season ticket holders would not pay any additional money but prices Bills get would reflect more the market value. I have seen this model used in other sports and it has been successful in selling seats which otherwise would be unsold or given away/bought by sponsor or team.

I think you meant regionalization. But excellent post all the same.

One other thing that sports teams have been doing for years, also to circumvent somewhat the scalpers (related to what you mention), is to provide a service where season ticket holders can sell their unused tickets, through the club, to those wanting to purchase. As G. Host mentions with "demand pricing," the tickets are auctioned off and actually season ticket holders can sell their tickets for more than they purchased them for.

Do the Bills do this yet?

I live in the SF Bay area and the Giants do this for their fans. It's called something like "Giants Double Play Service."

It would probably increase demand for season tickets because the season ticket holders could defray some of their costs by selling seats to a couple of games each year, sometimes for above face value.

One other thing that sports teams have been doing for years, also to circumvent somewhat the scalpers (related to what you mention), is to provide a service where season ticket holders can sell their unused tickets, through the club, to those wanting to purchase. ....

Do the Bills do this yet?

The Bills have Ticket Exchange through Ticketmaster which does included this disclaimer: Note: Tickets may be sold for more than the price listed on the ticket.

One thing the Bills have done in the past is if you wanted a ticket to a more popular game, you had to buy one to a less popular one also. In 1996 in order to get tickets to the Dallas game, (Bills win, Todd Collins was starting QB) you had to buy one to the Indy game also, (Bills win in OT, with TC starting again, and the game went over 4 hours if I remember).

I've used the Ticket Exchange, and I have to say it works wonderfully. I sold my tickets to four games last year and made enough to cover all of the cost of this year's tickets.

Of course, those tickets were all sold early in the season up until we were 5-1.

The only problem is, of course, you don't know who you're selling them to. Good chance it's to fans from other teams, I suppose.

I know J'ville's attendance was bad, but that looks REALLY bad. That picture was from the 2nd quarter!

Yeah you're right but I heard there was an announcement at the end of the 1st quarter that they were selling crack in the parking lot. That may have something to do with it.

Excellent! That way I won't be stuck watching the Raiders this weekend. <_<

I've used the Ticket Exchange, and I have to say it works wonderfully. I sold my tickets to four games last year and made enough to cover all of the cost of this year's tickets.

How did you decide on pricing your tickets? I'm going to be looking to sell some of mine next year, and don't want to price them too low, but on the other hand, I don't want to be fleecing people either.

Well what did they end up at for season ticket sales after signing TO, was it 57 thousand?. And a sellout now is 73967. Hard to believe there will be any blackouts this season with that many already sold every game.