Signed LB Marcus Freeman (Ohio State)

HawaiiBuffalo

NFL.com reports LB Marcus Freeman was signed off Bears PS...Love the move, this guy was a beast in terms of physicality and speed, not sure how he did at Chicago, but I dont mind Rookies having a rough first year, love how the Bills are stealing PS players only to sign to their practice squad, no real gamble, just a shot at getting a young talented player that might just need that shot in the arm new begining....Lets Go Buffalo and shock the Saints!

Its almost as if Buffalo obtained 2 midround picks and able to add 2 more players from 2009 draft that they liked and fit their system in OT Meredith and LB Freeman (Both were drafted in 5th rd this year)

Polian often states that football more than any other sport is about the player and the system you ask him to play in - lesson being that new systems often can mean new success for given players

From Greenbay Paper

The Buffalo Bills signed the 6-foot-5, 304-pound Meredith off the Packers’ practice squad, the Bills’ Web site reported. Meredith, a tackle and guard, failed to make the Packers’ final roster and then was signed to the practice squad.

The Packers drafted Meredith as a prospect with significant talent who was on the board in the fifth round in part because of concerns about his coachability.

The Packers didn’t have any problems with Meredith in his five months with the team but thought he was raw as a player and apparently didn’t try to sign him when Buffalo showed interest.

The Bills needed help on the offensive line because starting right tackle Brad Butler sustained a season-ending knee injury last week. In college at South Carolina, Meredith played both tackle positions and guard.

I'm pretty sure freeman was cut from the team and not on the PS...once on the PS a team can only steal you away if your put on the main roster..example - OT Meredith was placed on the 53 man roster due to being stolen from Packers PS..Freeman was signed as a free agent and thus placed on the Bills PS...not trying to be picky, just helping sort the info.

I'm pretty sure freeman was cut from the team and not on the PS...once on the PS a team can only steal you away if your put on the main roster..example - OT Meredith was placed on the 53 man roster due to being stolen from Packers PS..Freeman was signed as a free agent and thus placed on the Bills PS...not trying to be picky, just helping sort the info.

You're right. I can't say Freeman was a bad signing but two things about getting him concerns me. First and foremost we cut Alvin Bowen to get him which probably Bowen will be another line of recent draft picks to fail. I haven't read any reports of the Bears pursuing Freeman after Urlacher going down which might tell us how they value him. So all we can really say about him is he might be better then Bowen.

You're right. I can't say Freeman was a bad signing but two things about getting him concerns me. First and foremost we cut Alvin Bowen to get him which probably Bowen will be another line of recent draft picks to fail. I haven't read any reports of the Bears pursuing Freeman after Urlacher going down which might tell us how they value him. So all we can really say about him is he might be better then Bowen.

no I understand...I for one wanted to see good things for and from Bowen...as to why no interest from the Bears, I can't say...all I can hope is that Buffalo see's something they like and can use him

I think Bowen's injury had more to do with him "failing" here than anything; tough break for him and us. He had showed real promise.

from the sound of it he wasn't very impressive in Chicago. Hopefully he got a big wake up call by getting cut.

from a Pompei Q&A:

"Why do you think Marcus Freeman was cut? --Danny Mack"

Marcus Freeman was a dud from the beginning. Bears scouts thought he would be pretty athletic based on his pre-draft testing, but Freeman did not play as athletically as he tested. He has a prototype NFL body, but he doesn't move like a prototype NFL linebacker. What's more, he didn't show a lot of intensity or fire. It wasn't even close with him, and even if the Bears had to put a linebacker on injured reserve, I would doubt if they would bring him back.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/footb...,1879171.column

Freeman is an OLB, what does he have to do with Urlacher in the middle?