Bills Sign Jamon Meredith

LABills08

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few years ago, this organization pissed away a ton of money on a veteran line that never materialized. Until they show us a "dud", I'm behind our FO's continued effort to build a youthful line. Besides, it seems our new line coach works well with the young fellas, so, I say stick with the plan that appears to be working.

reminds me of richmond webb. as over rated as he was, thats a steal for a guy off the PS

It is about 3 years too early to even mention Webb in the same sentence as this guy. Seriously.

And Webb was the 9th overall pick, in the first round, obviously, in his draft class. That's a fairly major difference.

The major drawback on Meredith seems to be a lack of lower-body strength. If he can build that up without losing speed, he might be a good one.

But it's worth repeating that people on these boards seem to - very often - think of guys on our rosters in terms of when they were supposed to be drafted instead of where they actually were drafted. Most times, when a guy falls way past where the pundits have him ranked, there's a reason.

Ko Simpson and Ashton Youboty are good examples. We got them late, and they turned out to be about worth where we got them, not where they were supposed to be picked.

So, remember, even though pundits may have this guy ranked as a 2nd rounder, he is actually a 5th rounder. Let's not forget that..

I'd rather have had an experienced guy for this year, but if looked at as a long-term move, this might make a lot of sense down the road.

We'll see.

dont we need that teams permission? whats the point of having someone on "your squad" if its open season on him

The point is that you get to keep him if all teams rank him about the same value as you do. But if someone ranks him higher and is willing to actually lift him to the roster, you lose him.

So it's an intermediate step, below putting him on the team but above cutting him. Gives teams more guys to practice with, gives the guys themselves a chance to work with pro coaches and players.

The FO might see something in his speed/mobility which fits in very well with what we are trying to do on offense now. I wonder if they even feel he might challenge Scott as the season progresses...

BTW - a player signed off the practice squad always receives the minimum rookie slaray?

Nah, the salary is worked out between the team and the player's agent, as usual, but the player doesn't have much leverage, so 90% of the time, it's the minimum.

The point is that you get to keep him if all teams rank him about the same value as you do. But if someone ranks him higher and is willing to actually lift him to the roster, you lose him.

So it's an intermediate step, below putting him on the team but above cutting him. Gives teams more guys to practice with, gives the guys themselves a chance to work with pro coaches and players.

youd think when another team picked one of your practise squad guys you at least had the right of 1st refusal

Link

There may be a little bad blood brewing between the Packers and the Bills these days. Buffalo signed Green Bay offensive tackle Jamon Meredith off the practice squad – bringing him in to compete for the right tackle spot that opened when starting Brad Butler was placed on injured reserve with a knee injury. Word out of Green Bay is that the Packers are none too pleased, since they were high on Meredith and were allegedly grooming him to become a starter in the near future.

:thumbdown:

youd think when another team picked one of your practise squad guys you at least had the right of 1st refusal

Well, there is nothing that says a PS player who is made an offer can't call the team who put him on the PS and say "hey, the Bills made me an offer, what you got?"

If a team has a good relationship with the players on the PS, and is prepared to open the roster spot to sign them at short notice, there is always a way to make a deal. The Packers gambled here and lost. Maybe they did not have anyone they were willing to cut. So it goes.

Ha ha. If this is true, the Packers should only be pissed at themselves. Clubs take risks like this too often, and no one should blame a team in need that takes a player another team decided to do next to nothing to protect.

Exactly. Bills elevated Peters off PS when Giants/Lions (?) put a claim on him during the season. No reason Packers shouldn't have also protected a good prospect.

Green Bay has big time problems on their O Line. Their Right Tackle was just destroyed in week one, not sure how he did last week. Can't be a good sign that Green Bay didn't think he was an upgrade over the Berbee(sp) turnstile.

They doubled up on CIN LDE Geathers, and also used a back in addition now and then. That left LT Clifton and then his injury replacement going one-on-one most plays against RDE Odom, who got 5 sacks, and WLB Maualuga with one.

Rodgers didn't play very well, either - his running around gave CIN plenty of time to get a bead on him. I'd peg the blame for at least 2 sacks on him.

From what I have been reading, Meredith is still a project and really not ready for the NFL regular season. The Packers liked him a lot as a prospect but he has some issues and they were hoping they could let him get stronger and more experienced against NFL players on the PS. The Bills now have to keep him on the active roster and hope they don't have to play him.

IMO, the Bills got a little giddy over the play of Bell, Wood and Levitre in the first two games, and just decided that this active young athletic OL kind of player, with the plays they are running and the no huddle offense, offsets the veteran back-up they can rely on. I don't think they know or we know whether that is a good bet yet. It could pay off. So far, Kugler has been able to get these young guys ready to play, and AVP has put them in a position to not only play to their strengths but not expose their weaknesses. If that keeps up, this will be a terrific move and we may have another solid OL prospect for a few years.

They're taking a pretty big chance but at least it seems as though it is part of a plan.

From what I have been reading, Meredith is still a project and really not ready for the NFL regular season. The Packers liked him a lot as a prospect but he has some issues and they were hoping they could let him get stronger and more experienced against NFL players on the PS. The Bills now have to keep him on the active roster and hope they don't have to play him.

IMO, the Bills got a little giddy over the play of Bell, Wood and Levitre in the first two games, and just decided that this active young athletic OL kind of player, with the plays they are running and the no huddle offense, offsets the veteran back-up they can rely on. I don't think they know or we know whether that is a good bet yet. It could pay off. So far, Kugler has been able to get these young guys ready to play, and AVP has put them in a position to not only play to their strengths but not expose their weaknesses. If that keeps up, this will be a terrific move and we may have another solid OL prospect for a few years.

They're taking a pretty big chance but at least it seems as though it is part of a plan.

I agree. I admit, after reading about the guy, my mind has been changed towards being slightly more optimistic over the pick up. It is easy to get giddy over his speed, athleticism, and potential. That being said, I find it suspect that an organization generally well known for its talent selection (the Packers) would leave this guy off the 53 man roster...EVEN IF he is as raw as everyone claims. I mean, it is possible that the Packers were just confident he wouldn't sign elsewhere, but there have to be some strong negatives about him too for a 5th round pick with his supposed potential to be put on the practice squad. I mean, Bell never got a sniff of action last year, but we kept him off the practice squad so he wouldn't sign elsewhere.

From Buffalo News:

It's open for debate whether Meredith can provide any help on the field this season, but he does represent an intriguing prospect for the Bills. ESPN draft guru Mel Kiper Jr. had him ranked as the eighth-best tackle in the 2009 draft. His 40- and 20-yard dash times of 4.99 and 2.84 seconds, respectively, were tops among offensive tackles at the combine. Meredith was a fifth-round pick of the Packers.

The negativity here is ridiculous over a backup OT. If we had drafted this guy in the 5th round, there'd be a line out the door to wash his balls and proclaim him the next Jason Peters. Now we get him for free and he automatically sucks??

Why not just wait and see if he sucks with your own two eyes when he gets on the field rather than pretend like you know what youre talking about based on reading a few news articles, that are generally positive?

Has anyone on the board ever seen him play?

:thumbdown: es verdad

Link

:thumbdown:

That's a weird little article, isn't it, Beerball?

Why would anything like that cause bad blood? If anything it should cause Green Bay to be mad at themselves. The practice squad is for development guys, projects. If one of your guys is ready to start soon, you should get him off the practice squad, and if you don't, what happens is your fault.