Random Bills Thoughts

BillsObserver

I've been thinking about yesterdays game and had to give some random thoughts on the team:

-- I think most Bills fans are expecting a loss this Sunday against one of the hottest teams in the league, and that's probably not a bad thing for your expectations because there's a good chance of it happening if New Orleans offense is still on fire. IF. Listen, I'm not calling for an upset, but this is the NFL, where the Bengals can upset the Packers, where the Texans can upset the Titans in their own backyard and where the Jets can beat the Patsies with a rookie QB & head coach. Brees can't keep this pace up. Eventually he will have a rough game. Maybe, just maybe, the Bills get lucky and he finally decides to play like a normal quarterback and throws a few bad passes. The key to the game for the Bills is obvious; ball control. If we can't kill the clock, there's a good chance we get killed.

-- I sure hope Shawn Nelson is OKAY. I love the idea of the Bills getting him involved early. All of the talk of him being a project and not getting any reps early led me to believe we wouldn't see much of him this year, but thankfully the Bills have figured out a way to get him involved. I don't know why, but whenever he gets a completion, I get excited. I just get the feeling he has a lot to offer this team in terms of YAC.

-- Maybe I'm dead wrong on this but I've always felt that Stevie Johnson was the next Greer/F.Jackson. If given the opportunity, I think he can contribute. I thought he was getting that chance at the end of last season but he's been deactivated both games so far. Maybe with Roscoe on the trade block, he'll get a shot soon.

-- Speaking of Roscoe, maybe the Bills decided they could save even more money by getting rid of him. They know they have James Hardy coming back somewhere around week 6, and will likely have to get rid of someone. I like Roscoe's punt return skills but he hasn't impressed me as a receiver. Certainly not enough to justify that 4-5 million dollar price tag. That money could be used elsewhere, but unfortunately for us, we won't see that until next season. Just add up Evans, Owens and Roscoe's salaries for this year alone and that should be enough proof they've invested too much money in wide receivers.

-- Somewhere in that 3rd quarter I thought the entire stadium fell asleep. There was just an incredibly boring stretch of football there. During that stretch, Trent didn't look good either. But prior to that, and after that, Trent looked awesome. I don't like the amount of punishment he took though. The really good quarterbacks don't get hit that often, unless your name is Ben Roethlisberger.

-- Signing TO was good in many ways but maybe the most important is his impact on Trent. Lee wasn't getting the job done by himself, as far as pushing Trent was concerned. I think TO has the perfect type of attitude to step up to Trent and tell him throw me or Lee the damn ball deep when the coverage is right. Now that has to come back and bite him in the you-know-what when he drops such an easy ball as he did, but still, I think his affect on Trent is important.

-- Too early to call him out but I'm still waiting for Maybin to make a play. It's just weird that our other draft picks are contributing so much more. Then again, he arrived late, is still incredibly young and not the biggest guy out there. I'm not down on him, just hoping for a little bit more from him soon.

-- It's easy to be upset over losing Brad Butler for the season considering he was the only guy on the starting line who played a game at Ralph Wilson Stadium prior to this season. To be honest, it doesn't bother me that much. Butler is solid, not spectacular. He gets the job done and I like him and hope he comes back strong next year but I think we can get by without him. Call me crazy, but he's actually the guy who I think we could afford to lose on the line. Here's why; our center is actually playing really well and it'd be devastating to lose him considering the depth there, Wood & Levitre need this season to continue to grow and gain experience and they're both doing a good job so far as rookies, and D Bell is playing the more important tackle spot and doing pretty well (aside from the penalties). Scott did well when he came in and may be a legit option as Butlers replacement. If not, there's always guys like Runyan out there. I don't mean to diss Butler at all, but I just think there's guys out there who can adequately fill in for him until next year. Losing any of the other guys I mentioned would have upset me more. Even Levitre, who is probably the best candidate for guy you can afford to lose on the line, I'd just rather see him in there and continue to grow with fellow draft pick Wood.