D Bell contract status

zazie

I am sure he is getting next to nothing on a 7th round contract and now he seems to be doing a credible job as a starting LT.

Does Russ try to hold the line for 2 years on this deal or you think we may see some proactive steps at line long term development?

Parker's lost a lot of face with the Crabtree situation, and hopefully players will stay away from him or at least back off his strategies a little bit. Ugh. But it's all well and good when you start making your players an extra $5M by holding out, or getting a new contract a year or two sooner, or force a trade, etc.

Parker's cost Crabtree millions of dollars right now, if this really is all his doing and not the player's (and if you're a player, you want an agent who will also tell you to shut up and take the deal, even when you are the one who's pushing for more). Crabtree could reasonable stand to lose $35M in this whole affair if he goes back into the draft.

Oh, and as to the specific case: I think the Bills are the ones who should re-negotiate this one sooner rather than later. If they trust Bell, he'll be getting more expensive every single year, and it's clear that his best seasons will come after this contract expires. Extend him for four seasons after this one, with good money and a no-holdout clause, and we're in business.

Link

7/1/2008: Signed a four-year, $1.762 million contract. The deal included a $56,500 signing bonus. 2009: $385,000, 2010: $470,000, 2011: $555,000, 2012: Free Agent

IIRC, the Bills renegotiated Peters' contract without him asking so I think they'd do the same for Bell.

This is a case where he can learn from the Jason Peters experience. The worst thing he can do is prematurely sign another contract. If Bell believes that he is capable of being a good LT then he should wait for his contract to expire and then go for a market rate salary. The LT position is a high cost position. Signing prematurely, as Jason Peters did, will only give leverage to the organization instead of gaining the leverage for himself.

There is an assumption on my suggested approach: That D. Bell will get better as he plays the position. If he turns out to be a very good left tackle then there will be a demand for services by other teams when his contract expires. The player has to look out for his own interest in the long run. Relying on the organization to do what is best for the player when their interest (understandably) is to keep the price down.

Parker's lost a lot of face with the Crabtree situation, and hopefully players will stay away from him or at least back off his strategies a little bit. Ugh. But it's all well and good when you start making your players an extra $5M by holding out, or getting a new contract a year or two sooner, or force a trade, etc.

Parker's cost Crabtree millions of dollars right now, if this really is all his doing and not the player's (and if you're a player, you want an agent who will also tell you to shut up and take the deal, even when you are the one who's pushing for more). Crabtree could reasonable stand to lose $35M in this whole affair if he goes back into the draft.

I've recently (2006) started collecting and selling football cards. I wonder what will happen to Crabtree's rookie card value if he does re-enter the draft. :rolleyes:

This is a case where he can learn from the Jason Peters experience. The worst thing he can do is prematurely sign another contract. If Bell believes that he is capable of being a good LT then he should wait for his contract to expire and then go for a market rate salary. The LT position is a high cost position. Signing prematurely, as Jason Peters did, will only give leverage to the organization instead of gaining the leverage for himself.

There is an assumption on my suggested approach: That D. Bell will get better as he plays the position. If he turns out to be a very good left tackle then there will be a demand for services by other teams when his contract expires. The player has to look out for his own interest in the long run. Relying on the organization to do what is best for the player when their interest (understandably) is to keep the price down.

Of course, the CBA expires the year before his contract, so whatever lessons he learns from Peters' situation may not apply anyway.