Poz already working out

JÂy RÛßeÒ

Ouch!! Poz had an unfortunate but not unexpected complication of internal fixation of bone fractures. Talk of malpractice strikes a very raw nerve with the medical profession.

I had a fracture of my upper arm from skiing accident, repaired with plate and screws, then refractured the next summer on a canoe trip. Was very difficult to paddle home with a broken arm.

The length of the plate had nothing to do with the refracture. It is the rigid nature of plates that makes fractures adjacent to a plate very common.

When you receive a strong force to a bone, it can bend some, deform some and the force is spread out. As a result, you don't usually get a fracture. When you repair a bone with rigid metal plates, the bone looses the ability to bend or deform, energy is now concentrated at the bone just at the edge of the plate, and fractures occur. The longer plate was needed to cover the fracture site, but Poz is still at risk for fracture adjacent to this plate.

The idea of calcium and vitamin D was good. Some energy disipating padding would be good. I am not sure a haircut will do too much. Hopefully, at some point he can have enough bone healing to get the hardware removed.

Did you stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night?