Poz already working out

JÂy RÛßeÒ

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2009/09/21/p...dy-working-out/

Paul Posluszny is almost a week removed from the broken arm he sustained in the season opener, but he was cleared by doctors to resume cardio workouts today after meeting with doctors Sunday.

“They’re going to take it week to week, I was allowed to work out today,” said Posluszny. “Now we’re slowly going to work out, do some cardio, get the arm movements back and when I see doc next Sunday he’ll give me the next update and tell me what I can do next.”

His surgery last Tuesday went very well and the follow up examination Sunday confirmed that the new plate in his arm has taken well.

“I talked with the doctors yesterday and they said everything looks great,” said Posluszny. “They took another x-ray and that looked solid. So I’m just waiting week to week to get the next update and move forward.”

can anyone verify that there is any chance at all of him coming back this year, even if his rehab went AMAZINGLY?

Yep, the expectation is to have him around the bye, and if it were not possible he would be on IR already. Expect him back and able to play at a top level.

Yep, the expectation is to have him around the bye, and if it were not possible he would be on IR already. Expect him back and able to play at a top level.

thanks, i was gone on vacation all of last week and didnt catch many reports as to the severity. i didnt know if it was "we hope he's back for the last part of the season, maybe" or a more short term outlook.

glad to hear that he'll hopefully be back soon.

Nice grab! That's interesting wonder if it could lead to a malpractice suit.

Let's wait to hear from a MD/orthopedic surgeon before we bring up medical malpractice. Geez! And people wonder why doctors are pushing tort reform as part of the healthcare overhall. :rolleyes:

Let's wait to hear from a MD/orthopedic surgeon before we bring up medical malpractice. Geez! And people wonder why doctors are pushing tort reform as part of the healthcare overhall. :rolleyes:

He puts any repair at risk every time he plays. No suit here.

Maybe he should swipe some of his grandma's Boniva.

Ouch!! Poz had an unfortunate but not unexpected complication of internal fixation of bone fractures. Talk of malpractice strikes a very raw nerve with the medical profession.

I had a fracture of my upper arm from skiing accident, repaired with plate and screws, then refractured the next summer on a canoe trip. Was very difficult to paddle home with a broken arm.

The length of the plate had nothing to do with the refracture. It is the rigid nature of plates that makes fractures adjacent to a plate very common.

When you receive a strong force to a bone, it can bend some, deform some and the force is spread out. As a result, you don't usually get a fracture. When you repair a bone with rigid metal plates, the bone looses the ability to bend or deform, energy is now concentrated at the bone just at the edge of the plate, and fractures occur. The longer plate was needed to cover the fracture site, but Poz is still at risk for fracture adjacent to this plate.

The idea of calcium and vitamin D was good. Some energy disipating padding would be good. I am not sure a haircut will do too much. Hopefully, at some point he can have enough bone healing to get the hardware removed.