How do we stop the NO offense?

toddgurley

OK Bills fan, we have a big home game coming up this week vs the NO Saints and their very high scoring offense. My question to you, is HOW TO WE STOP OR CONTAIN THEM?

The D looked good vs the Bucs, but the bucs dont nearly have the skilled players the Saints do. I really like how the Bills used the "rex ryan D" vs the Bucs and blitzed them early and often. In my opinion, that's why Tom Brady lit us up in the 4th quarter-BECAUSE HE HAD ALL DAY TO THROW!

So with that being said, I would think that we (Bills) would like to pressure Drew Brees. So it looks like we may have to blitz him, but take this into account:

Drew Bress stats vs Phil Link:http://espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=290920021

D. Brees 25/34 311 yards 9.1 avg 3 td's 1 int 118.6 rating

However, according to ESPN when the Eagles blitzed 2+ people (which happened 10 times in this game)

Brees was 6 of 6 for 96 yards and 1 td when he passed the ball. THe other 4 times the Saints ran the ball vs this Blitzing Eagles D.

So to sum it up, the Saints dropped back to pass 34 times, 10 of which the eagles used a Blitz package, during this Brees was 6 for 6 with a td. So how do we stop them?

Should be pretty interesting, to say the least

Guest dog14787
OK Bills fan, we have a big home game coming up this week vs the NO Saints and their very high scoring offense. My question to you, is HOW TO WE STOP OR CONTAIN THEM?

The D looked good vs the Bucs, but the bucs dont nearly have the skilled players the Saints do. I really like how the Bills used the "rex ryan D" vs the Bucs and blitzed them early and often. In my opinion, that's why Tom Brady lit us up in the 4th quarter-BECAUSE HE HAD ALL DAY TO THROW!

So with that being said, I would think that we (Bills) would like to pressure Drew Brees. So it looks like we may have to blitz him, but take this into account:

Drew Bress stats vs Phil Link:http://espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=290920021

D. Brees 25/34 311 yards 9.1 avg 3 td's 1 int 118.6 rating

However, according to ESPN when the Eagles blitzed 2+ people (which happened 10 times in this game)

Brees was 6 of 6 for 96 yards and 1 td when he passed the ball. THe other 4 times the Saints ran the ball vs this Blitzing Eagles D.

So to sum it up, the Saints dropped back to pass 34 times, 10 of which the eagles used a Blitz package, during this Brees was 6 for 6 with a td. So how do we stop them?

Should be pretty interesting, to say the least

Controlling the clock and time of possession would be nice, but that's not happening.

Hopefully we can put some pressure on Brees without blitzing. Our defense is geared to stop a high powered offense in my opinion. Our DB's need to make some plays, cause a couple of turnovers.

Offense needs to be firing on all cylinders.

!@#$ (run through the middle; no language filter dodge) the zone defense and go press coverage with the safeties to stop the ones that do get completed and manage to get away from the CBs. LBs cover the TEs and are run support, line pressure only.

Instead we'll go blitz bonanza with zone coverage and get burned for lots of smaller completions and loose big time.

While I'm not an Ellison hater like a lot of people, given his weakness in the passing game, I think he's a liability out there next week. I'd like to see Youboty in the game matched up against Shockey. We've gotten torched by TE touchdowns two weeks in a row; Shockey is sure to get a lot of looks. Youboty is physical enough to help against the run and has shown promise blitzing.

I also think we see that standing DL set-up they like to run (I can't recall the name of the formation), with different guys falling back in coverage and blitzing (DL and LB). I think if we leave the safeties deep, press the WR's, try to keep Shockey out of game, and give them different looks from the front, it could be enough to slow them down.

Obviously it is a new year, but this was a high powered offense last year too, and here are some of the results:

Lost @WAS 29-24 week 2. Washington held the ball for 34minutes, intercepted Brees twice, ran 15 more plays, but only had two sacks.

Lost @DEN 34-32 week 3. Despite 421 yards passing for Brees with no INTs, and Denver losing ToP 27 to 33, Denver won a normal shoot out sacking Brees only once, but just having the little things go their way and putting up points.

Lost @ MIN 30-27 week 5. Brees threw for 330, but only 1 TD and two INTs. Only sacked once, and MIN won the ToP 32 to 28. Despite Peterson rushing for only 32 yds on 21 carries and giving up a Reggie Bush punt TD, Minnesota had the little things go right to win.

Lost @ CAR 30-7. Brees only 21/39 for 231 and no TDs, 1 INT. Carolina only sacked him once, but won ToP 33-27 and managed to force a lot of incompletes.

Lost @ATL 34-20. Brees passed for 422, but was picked off 3 times including first play from scrimmage, only sacked once. 31-29 ToP for ATL.

Lost @TB 23-20. RAIN!!!, Brees picked off three times, sacked once, even ToP.

Lost @CHI 27-24 Overtime Brees only 232 yards and 2 INT, Bears win even though Orton is terrible and the team doesn't run the ball. Brees sacked only once, NO wins ToP 26-36, but KO Return for TD helps Bears stay in it.

Lost at home against CAR, 33-31. Brees goes for 386, 4TDs, 1INT. Car gets a TD of a fumble return to build an early lead, and wins ToP 37-23. Brees throws three 4th quarter TDs to almost rally from down 30-10 to start the 4th. DeShaun Williams rushes for 178 in building that Carolina lead.

So as you can see, most of their losses were 30-27ish on the road, and in many Brees got his yards, but the opposing teams managed to pick him off or hold him to FGs a few times.

Sacks were not part of the losses, and he clearly knows how to get rid of the ball, but interceptions were almost always a factor.

Based on that, I think we play our game offensively, hope for some good special teams, a pick or two, and don't cry if they get in the end zone a couple times, just try to make it 2-3 times and not 4-5.

I think this could be the kind of game that has fans worried and mad during the game, blaming Jauron for doing dumb things, and then we find a way to come out on top 30-27. Rain would be nice too...

The Bills can't stop the NO offense completely, but can hopefully contain it. Play the cover 2 and mix in some other coverages to keep Brees guessing somewhat. I don't think this is a guy to blitz a lot. Force him to throw short and then tackle immediately. Brees has a tendency to force things in these scenarios and when he does, capitalize with 2-3 turnovers throughout the game.

Brees will probably throw for a lot of yards, but the Bills should hope to keep them out of the end zone when they get to the red zone. Schobel should also be able to get pressure because the Saints offensive line is banged up at Left Tackle.

If the Bills hold them to FGs and the offense can play up to its potential, like the last 2 weeks, they should be in a position to win the game at the end.

Blueprint from Giants against the K-gun. Change up the D. Drop a lot of people into coverage one down, pressure up the middle another. Dare NO to run the ball. Playing them in Buffalo is a plus.

Brees is throwing it up to tall receivers. Colston, Henderson and Meachem are all taller guys fighting for the ball.