Whipping boys playing well.

Kelly the Dog

There are a lot of players on the Bills that I and a lot of others here feel are below average starters, and often get criticized. So when they play well I think we should recognize it a little more.

Kyle Williams has been very good for two games in a row. He looks a lot stronger this year and isnt getting manhandled nearly as much. The play he made on the Whitner INT/TD was spectacular, handling two guys and still falling into the QB to cause the bad throw. He's been surprisingly good, although it helps to not have your starting center Jeff Faine in there.

Keith Ellison, too, although still lacking in pass coverage is coming up and hitting people and not getting blown off the ball like he usually does.

Derek Shouman has been consistent, even as a blocker. Hopefully he isnt lost for the season. When he was carted off it looked that way for sure but he seemed a little more optimistic after the game.

Whitner (although I always liked him) has been a stud. In fact, as a team we're hitting a lot harder than in recent years. We seem to be attacking the line harder and getting some good cracks in, especially from the secondary. All of them are not afraid to hit, even the littler guys like McGee and McKelvin and Corner and Byrd.

Kelsay, too, has not played bad at all. I can tolerate his level of play, which cannot always be said.

If we get this kind of play from our lesser players we're going to be a pretty good team.

There are a lot of players on the Bills that I and a lot of others here feel are below average starters, and often get criticized. So when they play well I think we should recognize it a little more.

Kyle Williams has been very good for two games in a row. He looks a lot stronger this year and isnt getting manhandled nearly as much. The play he made on the Whitner INT/TD was spectacular, handling two guys and still falling into the QB to cause the bad throw. He's been surprisingly good, although it helps to not have your starting center Jeff Faine in there.

Keith Ellison, too, although still lacking in pass coverage is coming up and hitting people and not getting blown off the ball like he usually does.

Derek Shouman has been consistent, even as a blocker. Hopefully he isnt lost for the season. When he was carted off it looked that way for sure but he seemed a little more optimistic after the game.

Whitner (although I always liked him) has been a stud. In fact, as a team we're hitting a lot harder than in recent years. We seem to be attacking the line harder and getting some good cracks in, especially from the secondary. All of them are not afraid to hit, even the littler guys like McGee and McKelvin and Corner and Byrd.

Kelsay, too, has not played bad at all. I can tolerate his level of play, which cannot always be said.

If we get this kind of play from our lesser players we're going to be a pretty good team.

Williams is playing at an elite level right now. He also played well last year and is building on what could be a very promising

career here in Buffalo.

I agree with you on the others especially Whitner, who IMO, has been very average up until this point. If the season ended today he would be in the Pro Bowl, but It's only week 2 and week 3 looks to be one hell of a test.

Props where props are due, but quoting the great Winston Wolf, "Let's not start sucking each others d*cks quite yet."

Kyle Williams hasn't been as much of a whipping boy around here as the others (I'm just happy he's not Tim Anderson...that guy was trash) but I agree he is playing great. Its crazy with all the hype surrounding Dorsey coming out of college that K. Williams has been the better player so far (although not all Dorsey's fault considering he was injured and now is in a scheme that really doesn't suit his style of play).

Agree on the post. I may have missed it being discussed here, but did anybody else fear that Williams was going to get a penalty on that play? Maybe I need to understand the Brady rule better???

Agree on the post. I may have missed it being discussed here, but did anybody else fear that Williams was going to get a penalty on that play? Maybe I need to understand the Brady rule better???
In part because of the season-ending left knee injury that Brady suffered in the Patriots' 2008 season opener against the Chiefs, the league's Competition Committee adopted a clarification of the current rule on hits to a quarterback in the knee area or below. The clarification specifically prohibits a defender on the ground who hasn't been blocked or fouled directly into the quarterback from lunging or diving at the quarterback's lower legs.

Link

I thought Williams got him above the waist?

Excellent points. Perhaps all the young players are finally coming into their own?

The Ellison comment sticks out to me though. Our linebackers typically begin running away from the LOS as fast as they can as soon as the ball is snapped. They get out of position and seem to always arrive late to the play. In the MNF opener and especially yesterday, Perry had Ellison and Mitchell blitzing the passer and generally running toward the LOS with most snaps. And, IMO, they both looked considerably better.

I really hope he's come to the realization that our LBs are not good in coverage. Send them after the QB (taking out the RB along the way) and let all those highly drafted DBs earn their checks. Call it whatever defense you want, but its been considerably more effective - at least to my eyes.