If you buy conventional thinking...

In two games, the Bills have gained 308 yards rushing (154 per game).

In addition the Bills have allowed only 130 yards rushing (65 per game).

While New England has shown so far that they might struggle running the ball, Tampa Bay had 174 yards rushing against Dallas in week one, and we held them to just 57 yards rushing.

As disturbing as our lack of a pass rush is, our ability to run the ball and stop the run is very encouraging.

While New England has shown so far that they might struggle running the ball, Tampa Bay had 174 yards rushing against Dallas in week one, and we held them to just 57 yards rushing.

As disturbing as our lack of a pass rush is, our ability to run the ball and stop the run is very encouraging.

Not that we won't have to stop it, next week the run isn't what is going to have our defense busy all day.

I'd love to see what we could do with a real passrush from our D line.These stats are very encouraging.

What if you don't buy conventional thinking?

That's exactly why I titled the thread as I did.

Bill Walsh also didn't buy into conventional thinking.

The whole West Coast Offense concept is based on unconventional thinking, one of the tenets being, you can pass first to set up the run, as opposed to conventional thinking which is that you run first to set up the pass.

Not that we won't have to stop it, next week the run isn't what is going to have our defense busy all day.

actually the Saints have run the ball well in both games so far as well with Mike Bell looking impressive and would have went over 100 yards again if he didnt leave the game with an injury

the Saints are loaded offensively

actually the Saints have run the ball well in both games so far as well with Mike Bell looking impressive and would have went over 100 yards again if he didnt leave the game with an injury

the Saints are loaded offensively

You're right Max. In the case of the Saints though, you could argue that the passing attack sets up the running attack by spreading out the defense. Many teams in this league run effectively out of a spread attack.

That's exactly why I titled the thread as I did.

Bill Walsh also didn't buy into conventional thinking.

The whole West Coast Offense concept is based on unconventional thinking, one of the tenets being, you can pass first to set up the run, as opposed to conventional thinking which is that you run first to set up the pass.

Bill Walsh the genius. And didnt get his first headcoaching job til he was in his late 40s. Aah the wisdom of the Brown family...

They've sucked recently, but in NFL and in American football history, Paul Brown is a giant.

no doubt...you just gotta wonder how much influence the son was starting to have by the late 70s-That was one horrendous decision.Walsh was really hurt by that-And understandably so.maybe that drove him even more to greatness..Cripe can you imagine Bill walsh coaching those talented Cincy teams of the 80s?

By the way--I'm rooting for Cincy this year...I like the lovable losers....-Time for some new blood in the playoffs:)

Paul Brown---I would say he is a giant along with Walsh, lombardi, Belicheck.

no doubt...you just gotta wonder how much influence the son was starting to have by the late 70s-That was one horrendous decision.Walsh was really hurt by that-And deservedly so.maybe that drove him even more to greatness..Cripe can you imagine Bill walsh coaching those talented Cincy teams of the 80s?

By the way--I'm rooting for Cincy this year...I like the lovable losers....-Time for some new blood in the playoffs:)

Paul Brown---I would say he is a giant along with Walsh, lombardi, Belicheck.

You're right T. Paul Brown would be on the NFL's Mount Rushmore of coaching.

And like Belichick, he was one of those brilliant but flawed people. I read that Walsh was very bitter towards Brown because in the 7 years which Walsh spent in Cincinnati as Paul Brown's offensive assistant coach, several teams wanted to interview Walsh. Brown denied all of those interview requests and actually never told Walsh that there were teams interested in hiring him. Kind of like Edison and Tesla.

You're right T. Paul Brown would be on the NFL's Mount Rushmore of coaching.

And like Belichick, he was one of those brilliant but flawed people. I read that Walsh was very bitter towards Brown because in the 7 years which Walsh spent in Cincinnati as Paul Brown's offensive assistant coach, several teams wanted to interview Walsh. Brown denied all of those interview requests and actually never told Walsh that there were teams interested in hiring him. Kind of like Edison and Tesla.

Sheesh--I wasn't aware of that aspect. Yeah..very much like Edison and Tesla.

I wonder if age also can start to change these guys--make them weirder like it has done to Al davis.Altho Paul Brown wasnt extremely old when he was screwing Walsh over.

Don't be so sure. Fewell's defensive schemes have almost ALWAYS been reactionary, and so the Saints might just prepare their game plan to take advantage of us playing almost exclusively to stop the pass. They could easily gain 150+ yards on the ground, because we'll be giving it to them all day long.

Don't be so sure. Fewell's defensive schemes have almost ALWAYS been reactionary, and so the Saints might just prepare their game plan to take advantage of us playing almost exclusively to stop the pass. They could easily gain 150+ yards on the ground, because we'll be giving it to them all day long.

I guess maybe I worded it wrong, the Saints will run, but it doesn't matter who they play, they are going to be airing the ball out all day. Especially with our No Huddle, where the other team typically has the ball for twice as many offensive plays.