TOTAL LAMP. Made it to Tucson... what a drive

stevestojan

2,447 miles. 37 hours, 45 minutes. According to my very exhausted math thats roughly 64.8 MPH traveling time. Not bad at all. ;)

I'm exhausted but the only things that kept me going were Sirius (mainly Stern), Red Bull, and the thought of the beer I'm going to have in about 20 minutes.

Oh, and for those that commented on the "shipping my dogs" thread, you helped make my decision. Wifey will not be flying, she will be making the same drive (be it in a much longer, more relaxed voyage) with the pups in a couple weeks. I had to be out earlier to get to work.

I will be at the Tucson's Bills Backer's bar Sunday if anyone cares to meet the man, the myth, the legend... (juuust kidding).

Go Bills and whatnot.

2,447 miles. 37 hours, 45 minutes. According to my very exhausted math thats roughly 64.8 MPH traveling time. Not bad at all. ;)

I'm exhausted but the only things that kept me going were Sirius (mainly Stern), Red Bull, and the thought of the beer I'm going to have in about 20 minutes.

Oh, and for those that commented on the "shipping my dogs" thread, you helped make my decision. Wifey will not be flying, she will be making the same drive (be it in a much longer, more relaxed voyage) with the pups in a couple weeks. I had to be out earlier to get to work.

I will be at the Tucson's Bills Backer's bar Sunday if anyone cares to meet the man, the myth, the legend... (juuust kidding).

Go Bills and whatnot.

Glad you made it safely!

2,447 miles. 37 hours, 45 minutes. According to my very exhausted math thats roughly 64.8 MPH traveling time. Not bad at all. :bag:

Go Bills and whatnot.

Glad you didn't kill anyone...

;)

Go Bills and whatnot.

Steve must have missed that you were moving...man thats a long drive!

BTW, how ya doing on da butts? I am still smoke free for 476 days and have now NOT smoked 14,742 Marlboro Reds!

No sleep and you were speeding the whole way (in more ways than one). Glad you didn't kill anyone make more sense now?

Nope, not at all. I got plenty of sleep. I left Wednesday afternoon. The time I gave was driving time. As far as speeding, I took I-80, I-25, and I-10, all of which have speed limits of 75 MPH. I did go 81MPH (cruise controlled) and passed many a trooper who didn't seem to think I was being reckless.

But I truly appreciate your input.

Nope, not at all. I got plenty of sleep. I left Wednesday afternoon. The time I gave was driving time. As far as speeding, I took I-80, I-25, and I-10, all of which have speed limits of 75 MPH. I did go 81MPH (cruise controlled) and passed many a trooper who didn't seem to think I was being reckless.

But I truly appreciate your input.

If you took multiple days to do it, then I withdraw my criticism. Your OP sure sounded like you did it all at once. My apologies.

If you took multiple days to do it, then I withdraw my criticism. Your OP sure sounded like you did it all at once. My apologies.

No way. I went 12 wednesday, 14 Thursday (which gave me a new appreciation for (or fear of) truck drivers) and finished just under another 12 Yesterday.

I slept in a motel in Bettendorf Iowa on Wednesday night. That was as awful as it sounds.

Then a nicer hotel in Colorado somewhere on Thursday.

Now I get to live in a hotel (at least its a suite) for 2 weeks until my house is ready.

No way. I went 12 wednesday, 14 Thursday (which gave me a new appreciation for (or fear of) truck drivers) and finished just under another 12 Yesterday.

I slept in a motel in Bettendorf Iowa on Wednesday night. That was as awful as it sounds.

Then a nicer hotel in Colorado somewhere on Thursday.

Now I get to live in a hotel (at least its a suite) for 2 weeks until my house is ready.

The longest I ever drove in one day was right around 13 hours. I was really numb at the end of it and that was why I was like "37 hours, that's insane." In addition to that my ex wife's dad ( a man that I truly respected) was a trucker. He fell asleep on the road and drove off a bridge, killing himself instantly. Sort of a pet peeve.

The longest I ever drove in one day was right around 13 hours. I was really numb at the end of it and that was why I was like "37 hours, that's insane." In addition to that my ex wife's dad ( a man that I truly respected) was a trucker. He fell asleep on the road and drove off a bridge, killing himself instantly. Sort of a pet peeve.

Sorry to hear about that.

Yeah, by hour 14 Thursday I was at a point where even though I was fairly confident I wasn't going to literally fall asleep, my reaction time had to be slowed. I thought "maybe one more hour" and then thought the better of it. There's only so much music you can listen to and coffee/redbull/or soda you can drink.

But honestly, a good portion of my time was spent wondering how truckers do it day in and day out. To drive with no real destination (other than picking up another load to go somewhere else) would drive me insane I think.

Sorry again about your father-in-law.

Sorry to hear about that.

Yeah, by hour 14 Thursday I was at a point where even though I was fairly confident I wasn't going to literally fall asleep, my reaction time had to be slowed. I thought "maybe one more hour" and then thought the better of it. There's only so much music you can listen to and coffee/redbull/or soda you can drink.

But honestly, a good portion of my time was spent wondering how truckers do it day in and day out. To drive with no real destination (other than picking up another load to go somewhere else) would drive me insane I think.

Sorry again about your father-in-law.

Thanks for being gracious and the kind thoughts. As to truckers, no clue how they do it. I would go insane from listening to talk radio the first week.

Look at it this way, you are in a hotel and have a bit of freedom. No wife dogs etc. Enjoy the moment and realize that you don't have to clean up after yourself (don't make the cleaning staff's job a chore) or pay for your suite. Personally, I would go grab a ton of books, some beer and just relax.

Thanks for being gracious and the kind thoughts. As to truckers, no clue how they do it. I would go insane from listening to talk radio the first week.

Look at it this way, you are in a hotel and have a bit of freedom. No wife dogs etc. Enjoy the moment and realize that you don't have to clean up after yourself (don't make the cleaning staff's job a chore) or pay for your suite. Personally, I would go grab a ton of books, some beer and just relax.

I am intrigued by people who drive for a living. I recently started a 3 day a week job that is an 80 mile drive each way. I think I am going to get a bunch of books-on-tape. I imagine that is how the truckers do it. Or maybe they are really into meditation.

Do you ever notice that NYC cabbies are always in the midst of an ongoing phone conversation on their bluetooth? They don't speak very loud, they just mumble, because I think technically they're not supposed to be on the phone while they have passengers. I wonder who they're talking to...probably other cabbies.

2,447 miles. 37 hours, 45 minutes. According to my very exhausted math thats roughly 64.8 MPH traveling time. Not bad at all. :devil:

Go Bills and whatnot.

tucson is a neat town...not too big....best of luck