What Is the Rationale Behind the NFL Starting the Next 2 Home Games at

Sblesq

...the NFL starting the next 2 home games at...what?

Anyone! Can't you read? ;)

What's really interesting is that the vast, vast majority of west coast teams that come into the east coast and play 1pm games lose them. Which makes Buffalo's SF loss last year even more embarrassing.

IMO, all west coast to east coast games should start at 4pm. Why this game is at 4, I don't know, but I don't mind it.

looks like a play to get more left coasters involved in watching right coast teams.

more viewers, better ratings, higher return for the league?

Oh, yeah. If I were from, say, Los Angeles, I'd be dying to watch a matchup with two 0 - 1 teams, Buffalo vs. Tampa Bay. This'll definitely fire left coast enthusiasm for correct coast football.

Agree 100%

The other thing with 4 PM games is that it's getting to dusk, I get tired, and it just seems depressing. I think I have lots of bad memories of hearing Pat Summerall's boring drone on some really "dark" 4 PM Vikings/Cowboys broadcasts.

I can't stop chuckling at this post. If this doesn't describe the 1960s- and 1970s- dreary gray late afternoons in upstate New York, nothing does. Well done, JR! I think I watched every one of those games right beside you!

I think I also have to add the fact that I (and, I'm sure, MOST of the 0ver-21-Crowd on this forum) are usually half in the bag by the 4:00 game. Even with big-screen HDTV, I just miss a lot more "Xs" and "Os".

I think I also have to add the fact that I (and, I'm sure, MOST of the 0ver-21-Crowd on this forum) are usually half in the bag by the 4:00 game. Even with big-screen HDTV, I just miss a lot more "Xs" and "Os".

Great point! I am usually napping by 4:15pm. Of course that could be the result of the previous 3 hours of torture watching the Bills, they do wear you out.

CBS has the doubleheader this week. So on CBS you'll have the early regional games, plus the national game which this week is for most of the country Chi @ Pitt. Fox gets to show one game, mostly early games. However in cities like NY, Tenn, and whomever else is hosting an early game on CBS, rather than have the FOX game going up against it, they get to instead choose a late FOX game. Well there's only one west coast NFC road team playing, Sea @ SF so Fox then needs to move some other normal early start game to late so there are two games to pick as they always want to have a minimum of two games to choose between.

Since most people will watch the CBS Chi @ Pitt game, Fox isn't going to move one of their better early games like Atl @ Car, NO @ Phi, or the Arizona game (Super Bowl team) to late. So the least likely watched game was the Buffalo game and that one got moved to 4:00 The only other possible choice was St Louis @ Wash, but Wash has better rating than Buffalo or Tampa, so Bills Tampa lose out.

I think the 4pm start may help negate some of Miami's home field advantage with regard to the heat. The temp and humidity should be lower at that time. Also most of the crowd will leave at halftime so as not to miss their early bird dinner special at the diner.

;)

I can't stop chuckling at this post. If this doesn't describe the 1960s- and 1970s- dreary gray late afternoons in upstate New York, nothing does. Well done, JR! I think I watched every one of those games right beside you!

I always liked those. You feel like you're missing something in Sept when it's sunny and 75 degrees out and you're watching the 1pm game. When it's a cold dreary December at 4PM after a big Sunday dinner and some beers around, the easy chair parked in front of the TV is a nice cozy place to be.

Growing up in WNY cloudy days don't really bother me like they do some ppl. Every day in November is cloudy some years.

I don't mind the 4pm games so much...Usually the more interesting games are on at 1pm, and I get stuck watching a Skins/Seahawks or a Niners/Rams matchup at 4pm because nothing good is on. When the Bills are on at 4, it gives me an extra incentive to watch the 4pm games

Anyone! Can't you read? ;)

What's really interesting is that the vast, vast majority of west coast teams that come into the east coast and play 1pm games lose them. Which makes Buffalo's SF loss last year even more embarrassing.

IMO, all west coast to east coast games should start at 4pm. Why this game is at 4, I don't know, but I don't mind it.

Thats the oddest part about this, NO and TB are not West Coast Teams. I thought the NFL made the rule last year that games featuring a West Coast Team traveling to the East had to be played at 4? Yet the Cards are going to Jax and playing a 1pm game, yet Buffalo and TB play at 4