Historical Game of the Week

KRC

Love this stuff Ken. Thanks.

LA's Pacific Coast team never played there because they're from Chicago. :wallbash: Sounds like Forest Gump talking about his 'Nam buddies nicknames..

2 questions: With all the Texans invading our roster and renaming them the Rangers, what was our name in '25?

Didn't Tuffy Maul play for Buffalo at one time as well?

Love this stuff Ken. Thanks.

You're welcome!!

LA's Pacific Coast team never played there because they're from Chicago. :wallbash: Sounds like Forest Gump talking about his 'Nam buddies nicknames..

An LA team playing out of Chicago against a Buffalo team made up of Texans. You can't beat that. ;)

2 questions: With all the Texans invading our roster and renaming them the Rangers, what was our name in '25?

Buffalo Bisons.

Didn't Tuffy Maul play for Buffalo at one time as well?

There was a Maul on the 1917 All-Tonawanda Lumberjacks, but I do not think it was Tuffy. Tuffy was pretty much a west coast guy, IIRC. He only had one year of pro ball from what I know, and that was with LA.

I thought I would dig deeper into the archives and discuss the first game against the Buccaneers. However, instead of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, we will talk about the Los Angeles Buccaneers and instead of the Bills, it is the Buffalo Rangers of the early NFL.

October 24, 1926: Los Angeles Buccaneers vs. Buffalo Rangers

Love it, love it, love it! Thank you KRC.

One question, though, and forgive me if I missed it in the article; where (or whereabouts) was the game played?

One question, though, and forgive me if I missed it in the article; where (or whereabouts) was the game played?

It was in there: "This would be the first time in local history that a Pacific coast team played in Buffalo ..."

So those Bucs were essentially one of the barnstorming nomads of the late '20s, Ken?

Nice work, as always.

Bison Stadium (Michigan Avenue and East Ferry Street)

So those Bucs were essentially one of the barnstorming nomads of the late '20s, Ken?

Pretty much. There were several of them. You would also see some of the regulars become barnstorming teams after the season. One of the famous ones was the Bears after the 1925 season. They get Grange and decided to take him on the road immediately. He, of course, left them and formed his own league: the first AFL.

You also had the Hawaii team of the USFL (the 1940s flavor) that was to be based out of Cincinnati. The league never played a game, however.

That's what I wanted. Thank you, KRC. One of the things I love about reading the 100 years of Buffalo baseball book a few years ago was hearing about the long since gone stadiums and what it must have been like to be in Buffalo in its true heyday.

The PFRA has a committee dedicated to stadiums. They are trying to put together a book on all stadiums that hosted a pro football game, including pictures and stats. No expected publication date at this time. Sounds like that book would be a good fit for you.

The PFRA has a committee dedicated to stadiums. They are trying to put together a book on all stadiums that hosted a pro football game, including pictures and stats. No expected publication date at this time. Sounds like that book would be a good fit for you.

KRC, please, please let us know when you have updates. Also, feel free to consider me the first purchaser. Oh, and keep up the damn good work you guys have been doing!

:wallbash:

KRC, please, please let us know when you have updates. Also, feel free to consider me the first purchaser. Oh, and keep up the damn good work you guys have been doing!

:thumbsup:

No problem. You can always keep an eye on the first page of the PFRA website. I always advertise books written by PFRA members there. I am also have a section where you can see book signings and other events being held by PFRA members.

Thanks for the compliments!!