Trent Edwards / Checkdown FACTS

rpcolosi

ok i can't handle this. the people on this board are just plain nutz. so here are some facts about good quarterbacks and "checking down." please read this if you are a trent hater to get your facts straight about his apparent "checkdown" or training wheel status. Read, learn, and get behind him and this team.

and inregards to someone elses post with Sanchez and Flacco see points 1 and 2:

1.) Sanchez had one game that he played well in, behind a far superior O-line and a far worse opponent than NE.

2.) Flacco is much like Rothlisberger - balt rides a strong D and good running game, and limit his throws per game, reducing his on field command, but allowing him to take 3-4 scripted shots down the field.

3.) Trent runs an offense. He played against a superior front 7 than either of the prior mentioned QBs. He played behind a far more inexperienced O-line. He did EXACTLY what most QBs would do in his situation which is take what the D gives you. If anyone understands how defense works, then you would know Belicheat put his team into a similar cover 2 that the bills play. He kept 2 safties on top and essentially doubled the wideouts all day. That leaves your TE, RB and slot WRs. That takes away your 30-40 yard "bombs." So, by the irrationality of this board, if Trent doesn't throw outside or deep to TO and Lee because its taken away, then he is a checkdowner, and if he does and throws an INT, then he is careless and a bad decision maker.

4.) Watch a full game of Peyton manning please. rather, lets look at one full season of his as well... Tell me how many times he "checks down." I'm going to venture a guess and say at a minimum 1/2 the time his passes go to slot WRs, RBs or TE's. Last night, Trent threw 2/3's based upon a system that dictated such. He did the right thing.

Here is your Bill Polian built (thanks again Ralph for letting him walk) 1999 colts and yes, you can pick any of the colts season, this is just a random one i chose:

Manning Completions : 331

Rec by top TE/RB/ slot (3rd)WR : 158

rec by top 2 WRs : 157

here's 2008 -

Manning Completions: 371

Rec by top 2 WRs (I included 1/2 Gonzo, because he played outside 1/2 the year too) - 175

Rec by slot wr (other 1/2 of Gonzo), top TEs and RBs: 203

YEs i know this doesnt exactly add up , im not counting every single pass to a WR, TE, or RB, i just counted those who had a significant number (5 or more).

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/clt/2008.htm

moral of the story - get behind trent for the year, and trust that he will take the shots when they are available!

If anyone understands how defense works, then you would know Belicheat put his team into a similar cover 2 that the bills play. He kept 2 safties on top and essentially doubled the wideouts all day. That leaves your TE, RB and slot WRs. That takes away your 30-40 yard "bombs." So, by the irrationality of this board, if Trent doesn't throw outside or deep to TO and Lee because its taken away, then he is a checkdowner, and if he does and throws an INT, then he is careless and a bad decision maker.

but then how does that explain Moss and Welker getting 12 catches each?