Not That This Had Relevance To The Outcome

H2o

It reminded me of that horrible spot that we got in the playoff game against the Titans. I cannot recall where there has been a "horrible" spot in our favor.

in the comeback game don beebe went out of bounds and then caught a touchdown pass and we got away with, we get bad calls in our favor, but no doubt the nfl has its favorites and they ensure those teams get every benifit , a lower team has to beat them and many more poor calls

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate "blaming ref's", but there is merit in the poor spot debate. It may not have changed the outcome of the game, but it may have changed a few play calls (from 3rd and 1 to 1st down), it just boggles my mind that nobody on B-Lo's sideline or booth saw it.

Anyway...we had a chance to shine in the national spotlight and tripped badly. Looking forward to next weeks game, so that's a positive huh?

GO BILLS!

On the second to last drive, in the hurry up offense, Brady completed a pass that the officials ruled a 1st down. The screen showed that they were clearly atleast a half yard short with the system they use to show the ball and yardage to the 1st. Am I the only one who noticed that?

Absolutely! I was waiting to see if anyone posted about this. To me that was one of the more important referee actions in the entire game. No measurement even? No challenge by the Bills of the spot?

Sorry if any of this is redundant but I do not have the time to read through the whole thread.

The other thing that I thought was BS by the refs was after those two illegal formation calls on Bell for being too far behind the line of scrimmage, it sure looked to me like during those two Pats TD drives their o line looked like birds do flying in a V formation - both tackles were way behind the line of scrimmage.

On the second to last drive, in the hurry up offense, Brady completed a pass that the officials ruled a 1st down. The screen showed that they were clearly atleast a half yard short with the system they use to show the ball and yardage to the 1st. Am I the only one who noticed that?

Kelso was going nuts about that on the radio and Murph totally agreed. They thought it was more like a 2 yard difference. And if I remember right, it was on a 3rd down, though I could be mistaken.

Oh, and I'm sure the Pats* wouldn't have converted on 3rd and 1? Harmless error from the refs.

And I don't get blaming Jauron-- he probably had less than 3 seconds to see the spot and challenge the play.

We stopped them twice on 4th and one. We certainly would have had a chance. As it was, we didn't.

PWNED again by the refs. :thumbsup:

I mentioned it in the GDT others did as well.

The thing that really bothered me was the illegal formation calls against Bell. Those appeared to be the most questionable calls.

A national columnist, I forget who, said there were a lot of those calls in many games this weekend. The refs were deliberately making it a point. It wasn't just a Bills-Pats* thing. But you notice that the Pats* lined up correctly.

It's what you get when you start a guy who's never played before.

I have some questions about the QB slide rule

With 1:15 left in the 3rd Brady scrambled left tackle and did a QB slide. It was marked at the BUF 36 for 9 yards. When he stopped his slide, his lead foot was at the 36. The slide mark left on the turf, however, started at least two yards earlier.

Is the rule that the ball is spotted where the QB slide starts , or stops? I would think it should be where it starts.

Additionally, in most plays the ball is placed where the ball is located. At the very least, they placed the ball where his lead foot stopped, not a yard back where the ball was when the slide stopped.

This is a moot point if the QB side rule is that the ball is placed at the most forward progress of any part of the QB's anatomy

Oh, and I'm sure the Pats* wouldn't have converted on 3rd and 1? Harmless error from the refs.

And I don't get blaming Jauron-- he probably had less than 3 seconds to see the spot and challenge the play.

Perhaps the Pats** would've converted, but I imagine the play would've taken more than 5 seconds off of the clock, which would've meant that the TD that the Pats ** scored to cut it to 24-19 would've been at or after the 2:00 warning. That very possibly could have impacted whether McKelvin would have brought the ball out of the end zone on the ensuing KO.

Perhaps the Pats** would've converted, but I imagine the play would've taken more than 5 seconds off of the clock, which would've meant that the TD that the Pats ** scored to cut it to 24-19 would've been at or after the 2:00 warning. That very possibly could have impacted whether McKelvin would have brought the ball out of the end zone on the ensuing KO.

It might of taken 5 seconds off the clock, but the time stoppage to measure for a first probably would have saved 5 seconds at least.

With 1:15 left in the 3rd Brady scrambled left tackle and did a QB slide. It was marked at the BUF 36 for 9 yards. When he stopped his slide, his lead foot was at the 36. The slide mark left on the turf, however, started at least two yards earlier.

Is the rule that the ball is spotted where the QB slide starts , or stops? I would think it should be where it starts.

Additionally, in most plays the ball is placed where the ball is located. At the very least, they placed the ball where his lead foot stopped, not a yard back where the ball was when the slide stopped.

This is a moot point if the QB side rule is that the ball is placed at the most forward progress of any part of the QB's anatomy

It's SUPPOSED to be spotted at where the slide begins.

Spot of the ball is correct. The rule:

Section 4 Dead Ball

Article 1 An official shall declare dead ball and the down ended:

(a) when a runner is out of bounds or declares himself down by falling to the ground and makes no effort to advance.

(b) any time a quarterback immediately drops to his knee (or simulates dropping his knee to the ground) behind the line of scrimmage during the last two minutes of a half. The game clock will not stop during this action.

© whenever a runner declares himself down by sliding feet first on the ground. The ball

is dead at the spot of the ball at the instant the runner so touches the ground.

Note: Since the down is over when any part of a sliding runner’s body, other than his

hands or feet touches the ground, defenders are required to treat a sliding runner as

they would a downed runner.

(1) A defender must pull up when a runner begins a feet-first slide. That does not

mean that all contact by a defender is illegal. If a defender has already committed

himself, and the contact is unavoidable, it is not a foul unless the defender

makes some other act, such as helmet-to-helmet contact or by driving his forearm

into the head or neck area of the runner.

(2) A runner who desires to take advantage of the protection provided to a sliding

runner is responsible for starting his slide before contact by a defensive player is

imminent; if he does not, and waits until the last moment to begin his slide, he

puts himself in jeopardy of being tackled like a regular ball carrier.

am i misreading the rule, or should the ball have not been spotted at the 36?

Wherever the football was whenever his knee/butt/whatever hit. I'd have to look at the play to be sure, but if his leading foot was the only thing at the 36, then it sounds like they were a little generous on that one as well.

No. Check game thread. "Just give it to them" was stamping on band around stack of bills.

It was one of the big things I noticed last night.....the announcers were like "wait oh okkkkkaaaaay"

The other thing was seeing the faces of the patriot fans.....god I was enjoying that right up until McKelvin's fumble.

Each one of those Pats* fans was thinking "Well I wonder how the Red Sox are doing then?"

PTR