2004 Season Opener

Jerry Jabber

Last night after seeing McKelvin fumble on the kickoff, it eerily reminded me of the 2005 Season opener vs the Jags. All Nate Clements had to do on 4th down was knock the ball down, instead, he tries to be a hero, go for the INT and gets outmuscled by the Jags WR. The next series, the Jags score a TD and win 13-10. If we would have won that game, we would have been 10-5 going into the season finale vs Pittsburgh, already having a wild card berth.

Last night, instead of doing the smart thing and kneeling down 4 yards in the endzone, McKelvin tried being a hero and screwed up big time. I hope this game doesn't cost us a shot at the playoffs like in did in 2005.

Last night after seeing McKelvin fumble on the kickoff, it eerily reminded me of the 2005 Season opener vs the Jags. All Nate Clements had to do on 4th down was knock the ball down, instead, he tries to be a hero, go for the INT and gets outmuscled by the Jags WR. The next series, the Jags score a TD and win 13-10. If we would have won that game, we would have been 10-5 going into the season finale vs Pittsburgh, already having a wild card berth.

Last night, instead of doing the smart thing and kneeling down 4 yards in the endzone, McKelvin tried being a hero and screwed up big time. I hope this game doesn't cost us a shot at the playoffs like in did in 2005.

don't worry, this team is so mentally weak they're going to fold like a lawn chair. I don't want to see Donte Whitner crying, I want to see him get mad. Instead everyone's feeling sorry for themselves, and Poz is out for half the season.

It's over johnny, it's OVER

In that Jag game, I believe we also had them stuffed on the 4th down before they scored on the last play but Fletcher got flagged for taunting. Also, in 2007 we lost a beauty of an opener against the Broncos in that "Running Field Goal" game. They won it running to the line of scrimmage and snapping the ball as time expired, kicking the 49 yarder to win the game.

Nobody can match the tragic, cursed history of the Buffalo Bills.

In that Jag game, I believe we also had them stuffed on the 4th down before they scored on the last play but Fletcher got flagged for taunting. Also, in 2007 we lost a beauty of an opener against the Broncos in that "Running Field Goal" game. They won it running to the line of scrimmage and snapping the ball as time expired, kicking the 49 yarder to win the game.

I agree. We've had to endure a lot of major letdowns.

That was 2004 but I see what you're smebbin'

I laugh at the ignorant eagles fans that i live among when they say they're the most cursed franchise in the league.

I know it didn't, but my point behind the thread is that being a hero (Clemens & McKelvin) costed us two games. The one in '04 made the difference of us not making the playoffs. I hope that's not the case this year.

i know what you're saying, Jerry. yet, Bledsoe's sack-fumble-returned-for-TD with bills ahead -- and after Clements int return put Bills ahead -- had the chance of making up for season-opening loss.

in my humble opinion, i rank the Pittsburgh loss as the more devastating one, considering everyone knew at that point what was on the line and Bills were facing Steelers' second-and-third stringers (though, very good second- and third-stringers as it turned out -- Willie Parker, James Harrison).

jw

i know what you're saying, Jerry. yet, Bledsoe's sack-fumble-returned-for-TD with bills ahead -- and after Clements int return put Bills ahead -- had the chance of making up for season-opening loss.

in my humble opinion, i rank the Pittsburgh loss as the more devastating one, considering everyone knew at that point what was on the line and Bills were facing Steelers' second-and-third stringers (though, very good second- and third-stringers as it turned out -- Willie Parker, James Harrison).

jw

I agree, Bledsoe blew it even before kickoff. The coaches wanted Bledsoe to take the kickoff in one direction (the direction all the points were scored in), but Bledsoe took the opposite. It was horrible to see us get burned by backups.