player assesments

abqmarko

Just a few random thoughts on some coaches-players

1) Jauron put together a good gameplan, the no huddle worked, the Pats defense DID seem to slow down as the game progressed. Kudos to Jauron for having the guts (a little late, but better thanb never)to pull the plug on the Turk and hand the reigns over to Van Pelt. Also for cutting Walker and allowing Bell to take the reigns. Risky move, it paid off.

2) OC-Van Pelt-great job! the Bills O looked as good as it has looked since Jaurons been the coach-Give him a little more time to work things in and lets see what happens.

3) C-We finally have a center-Great job Hangartner! It felt good to see Vince Wilfork no longer dominating games. Give him more time with the rookie guards and look out.

4) OG-Levitre and Wood-great job against a strong defense that always come in with solid game plans. I'm sold on the combo of Wood, Levitre and Hangartner being the building block for the interior line for years to come.

5) OT's-Bell, take the penalties away and the guy played solid, great upside and he's athletic enough to handle the edge rushers. Butler-solid game.

6) RB-Fred Jackson-solid as always.

7) QB-Trent played very well and seems in sync with Van Pelt-light years away from the preseason-it shows what impact the OC has.

8) DE-Schobel, say what you will, the guy played VERY well. Maybin needs to develop a different move than just exploding off the ball (which he does very well) he was consistently just ridden out of range. Give him some time and look out.

9) LB's-decent but no big plays, Poz was very solid first half, I'm not sure on Ellison, he lead the team in tackles but it seemed like the Pats seemed to focus on exploiting him after Poz left it seemed like he played as the MLB-I wouldnt mind seeing Nic Harris a little more.

10)DB-Didnt get beat deep and played decently, no big plays even though the DL seemed to bring some pressure causing Brady to have some passing inaccuracys. McKelvin had some problems as I'll expalin below.

THREE BIG PLAYS WE MISSED

1) Owens dropping the ball in the first half that would have been a needed third down conversion.

2) McKelvin missing the open field tackle on Kevin Faulk on a third down conversion-totally whiffed.

3) McKelvin A) taking the ball out of the endzone-which I can live with but B) Struggling to pick up an extra yard with three defenders trying to strip the ball-fall down and the games over with a Bills win.