What was a trouble spot for the Bills

Simon

With the loss of Paul Posluzny, the Bills second level is now sporting the troika of Buggs, Ellison and Scott. I don't think we can overstate the just how big of a problem this is for Perry Fewell. There is virtually nothing he can do to defend this part of the field w/o significantly compromising the rest of his defense.

While it was certainly a problem area before, now it is a flat out nightmare. :thumbsup:

With the loss of Paul Posluzny, the Bills second level is now sporting the troika of Buggs, Ellison and Scott. I don't think we can overstate the just how big of a problem this is for Perry Fewell. There is virtually nothing he can do to defend this part of the field w/o significantly compromising the rest of his defense.

While it was certainly a problem area before, now it is a flat out nightmare. <_<

Mitchell?

:thumbsup:

While it was certainly a problem area before, now it is a flat out nightmare. :thumbsup:

I just hope they go out and get an LB in free agency, but we know that won't happen.

You missed Mitchell ? It is very evident yesterday that Buggs is no good.

Options:

(1) Suggested in another thread - perhaps it may be good to immediately start training Maybin for a LB spot. Ofcourse that leaves the DE spot lacking depth esp depending on the extent of Kelsay's injury.

(2) Start breaking in Nic Harris

(3) Search desperately for an unsigned LB

(4) Trade for a LB either for a player now or a pick next year

Mitchell?

:thumbsup:

I think he's referring to the middle of the field, which is precisely where this team was victimized in their short zone coverage. Posluszny seemed to more than adequate in the middle, which is where Buggs, Scott, and Ellison will be in the next(hopefully only) few weeks.

Slot receivers and/or crossing routes with a decent QB will give this defense trouble for awhile.

I think he's referring to the middle of the field, which is precisely where this team was victimized in their short zone coverage. Posluszny seemed to more than adequate in the middle, which is where Buggs, Scott, and Ellison will be in the next(hopefully only) few weeks.

Slot receivers and/or crossing routes with a decent QB will give this defense trouble for awhile.

Mitchell to the middle, Harris to Mitchell's spot.

Just MO.

Mitchell is a solid player and will hold his own; I didn't list him because I was only trying to point up the problem spots.

As for moving him to the Mike are you then going to leave him on the field on 3rd down? No way. Will he be even remotely effective trying to cover the deep middle third as the Bills Mike is frequently asked to do? No way. Barring the addition of other personell the Bills have blown a gaping hole in their own foot.

I actually thought that Buggs actually filled in pretty well until the entire defense fell apart in the last 5 minutes. And this looked to be more related to our Defense's inability to keep up with the no-huddle, as Stroud and the rest of our D-line seemed to be winded. Kind of ironic, huh?

During the preseason I felt like Buggs had no business being anywhere near an NFL field, and I didn't see anything last night to change that opinion.

As for the D being winded, I'm just not seeing the irony. A lot of folks were talking about how TOP was going to be an issue with the Bills and lead to some 4th quarter problems. Even though we ran more rotation on the DLine than we ever do, it seems like last night was sort of Exhibit A in that theory.

Mitchell to the middle, Harris to Mitchell's spot.

Just MO.

Mitchell struggled in 2006 as KC's MLB. He ended up in NYG, where they translated his in-line speed to play WLB, which is what Buffalo did with him.

Most knowledgeable fans looked at Buffalo's LB depth and saw a severe shortage of talent AND experience. Harris is another rookie, and with as many of those getting PT, it's a gamble to think there will be no issues translating.

One of the baffling things is still why the FO made nothing more than a token attempt to "improve" the LB corps. Ellison wasn't very good last season and they decide that he should retain his staring job? OBD's failures are going to hurt this team big time this season, especially if Poz is out for a while.

Adding my usual disclaimer about not seeing many Bills' games and so I try to keep comments about their players to a minimum - I did call up the roster and hunted down this and that about the current LB corps.

It looks to me Simon, that they are going to have to scour the ranks of the currently unemployed.

Mitchell struggled in 2006 as KC's MLB. He ended up in NYG, where they translated his in-line speed to play WLB, which is what Buffalo did with him.

Most knowledgeable fans looked at Buffalo's LB depth and saw a severe shortage of talent AND experience. Harris is another rookie, and with as many of those getting PT, it's a gamble to think there will be no issues translating.

It's really amazing to me, how many rookies and 1st year starters we have. And there's more to come IMO.

Maybin, Wood, Levitre, Bell, Hangartner, Nelson and probably Byrd, Buggs and Harris- some time soon. It speaks to the lack of talent last year and defies Jauron's history of not playing rookies. He MUST be feeling the 'heat of the seat', but all these guys are upgrades over last years' team, except Buggs.

As I said in a different thread, why not Harris? We know he has the range and he likes to hit. He was a SS in college so he should be fine with the backpedaling. He's a bit light but heavier than Buggs.

While it might be the best of a bunch of bad options at this point, it's worth noting that throwing another rook out there and then asking him to be a 3down 'backer is an awful lot to put on the kids plate.

While it might be the best of a bunch of bad options at this point, it's worth noting that throwing another rook out there and then asking him to be a 3down 'backer is an awful lot to put on the kids plate.

No question, but I'd rather that than sign a washed-up vet who we know can't cover the same ground (i.e., Zach Thomas). This is where the DiGiorgio injury really costs us. Anyhow, didn't Mayo play on all three downs for the Pats last year?

One of the baffling things is still why the FO made nothing more than a token attempt to "improve" the LB corps. Ellison wasn't very good last season and they decide that he should retain his staring job? OBD's failures are going to hurt this team big time this season, especially if Poz is out for a while.

Not trying to get cute here, but I think it comes down to money. And the fact that contracts were guaranteed before the other day. Rookies are low cost and don't have a professional history.

Tinoisamoa, June, and Keiaho may not be big to play the position, but they'd represent a player with some experience, which is clearly lacking.

I can't remember a time when more rookies were starting or receiving significant playing time.