Your Insurance Cos at work

So it must be all or nothing? Large problems are sometimes best handled in smaller, more manageable steps.

Yes they are, but it's not a parallel to this situation. You do not solve a problem by totally ignoring a major source of the issue and pile more trouble on that one issue which you do not address.

If you want a parallel, then look at California's energy "deregulation" You deregulate the supply, without improving the physical infrastructure to deliver the supply. But you do nothing to curb demand, nor deregulate the rates paid by the users. The result is that once prices started going up, utilities got caught in the middle by wholesalers (Enron traders) charging a lot and not being able to pass that cost to the consumers.

That's what you're in store for here. Add 10-15 million more people to buy discounted medical services, which they will be getting at a huge discount. That will force the providers to charge more to provide services and over time, the system implodes like it did in California.

If you are going to mandate that more people are covered, then you have to share that cost among the covered universe and go after all the sources of waste - which this administration is loath to do because he's indebted to them.

And managed care would have made a difference? You think a bean-counter at an HMO would have said "Your medical judgement is wrong, treat him"? You're stipulating that a lawyer would have saved your brother's life when the doctor didn't?

Because you're missing my point...that being, when doctors' judgement can be overridden by non-medical professionals for non-medical considerations, you will get sh------- care. I'm not talking about getting lawyers and accountants uninvolved in malpractice, I'm talking about getting them uninvolved in care. No doctor should have his medical judgement overturned by non-medical decision makers, and if they do said non-medical decision makers should be subject to the same penalties for bad decisions that doctors are held to.

Ya... But, that is what's going to happen.