Pepperoni Question

stevestojan

You people are sick. Pepperoni that cups basically gives me heartburn in about 10 seconds. Not sure how y'll can stand all that grease.

I'm no help for this question because I can't get myself to buy pepperoni. I'll pick it up in the grocery store and see the absolutely insane amount of calories and fat (not to mention minuscule serving size), and I just can't do it. I'll order mine from somewhere so I can pretend I don't know how bad it is. <_<

I'm no help for this question because I can't get myself to buy pepperoni. I'll pick it up in the grocery store and see the absolutely insane amount of calories and fat (not to mention minuscule serving size), and I just can't do it. I'll order mine from somewhere so I can pretend I don't know how bad it is. :thumbsup:

My wife's grandfather carried a stick to work everyday for lunch... He died of a massive heart attack.

I'm fairly certain it is the thickness and aging of the pepperoni cut that determines cupping. A very thin slice that's not properly aged doesn't have enough body to cup and just melts into the cheese. A thicker, more aged cut will have enough body to curl and crisp when baked.

You have to either pre-cook the pepperoni or overcook the pizza to get the cupping. Pre-cooking the pepperoni as I've described makes for a delicious slightly crisp and cupped pepperoni.

I've made about 5000 pizzas in my life. Trust me.

I remember a "Molto Mario" show, when he said that a whitish dust here and there was a sign of a good curing - the dust was the dead bodies of fungus and bacteria that ran for the surface then croaked. He said to take a wet paper towel and just wipe it off.

:wallbash:

Same thing with the mold on some cheese... ??

Ahh... The good old days... My grandfather used to laugh how many showers we took... He only bathed ONCE a week: "Didn't want to wash off the "good" bacteria."

Then again... This was the same guy who got frostbite working on the railroad and eventually lost his leg because of the that frostbite and complications with diabetes... He still kicked around to the age of about 70 or so... If he only managed to square it all away, he would have lived another 20 years.

:censored: