Brett Favre - Every Pundit Is Crowing Over His First Win

Steely Dan

Great article! That's my point.

Did you read my explanation of "every" above.

From Lori's link;

Brett Favre competed 14 passes on 21 attempts and was sacked four times. Only four of those passes went six or more yards in the air, which allowed the Vikings (Featuring Brett Favre) to run Peterson more and more often.

Your explanation of "every" is pretty poor.

Favres passes were thrown ON TARGET so the receiver could make yards after the catch unlike Trents which forces the receiver to streach or bend down to make the catch & be immediately tackled.

This article is praising Favre for the win? HUH???

Precisely my point. The first link, the one praising Favre, was obvious satire. The second gives a balanced, unvarnished look at his performance. And both belie the hyperbole of "every" in the thread title.

As a member of the media (albeit of the small-town hack subgenus of the species), absolute statements annoy me.

Precisely my point. The first link, the one praising Favre, was obvious satire. The second gives a balanced, unvarnished look at his performance. And both belie the hyperbole of "every" in the thread title.

As a member of the media (albeit of the small-town hack subgenus of the species), absolute statements annoy me.

It's not an absolute statement. As I mentioned above it's being used in the same way as; "Every time I use this copier..." Every time I start to clean the garage.." "Every time I plan a picnic it rains."

It's not an absolute statement. As I mentioned above it's being used in the same way as; "Every time I use this copier..." Every time I start to clean the garage.." "Every time I plan a picnic it rains."

There's a difference between the "every time" statements and calling out an entire profession, no? Or maybe that's just the way I see it.

There's a difference between the "every time" statements and calling out an entire profession, no? Or maybe that's just the way I see it.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. I've heard it used in the context of an entire profession before; I.E. every politician is on the take. Every mechanic is dishonest. Every construction worker is lazy and I'm sure there's more that isn't coming to mind right now.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. I've heard it used in the context of an entire profession before; I.E. every politician is on the take. Every mechanic is dishonest. Every construction worker is lazy and I'm sure there's more that isn't coming to mind right now.

Fair enough. Just saying, if I were a politician, or mechanic, or construction worker (using those examples), I'd probably be annoyed, too. :D

Every might be a bit over the top when you haven't even been able to provide one example.

Maybe next you should try "Every sportswriter hates free food".

Hiya there Lori. :doh:

Every might be a bit over the top when you haven't even been able to provide one example.

Maybe next you should try "Every sportswriter hates free food".

Hiya there Lori. :doh:

I know Lori did.

From that article; (This is sarcastic)

Nobody in the NFL hands off play after play with such skill; such panache; such glory -- and those analysts who are crediting Brett Favre as such after the game are exactly on point. We are luckier for having seen him again, and I know the Vikings feel the same way. Even the Browns, as disappointed as they must have been to drop their first game, have to know what a special privilege it is to lose a game this way.