Comments from Edwards, Evans...

eball

Shonert was the biggest part of the problem... that's why he was fired. edwards/evans/et al wasn't released, jauron wasn't fired, depth chart changes weren't made, there wasn't some sort of public outcry from the team... Shonert was fired. This team has problems, but since he was let go, he's obviously at the top of the laundry list. Plus, if he was such an offensive dynamo as he claims to have been (by his comments about being held back by dicky j), he'd have been picked up by now. Say what you want about their timing, who they got to replace TS, or whatever, this team made a change to improve. Nothing negative should be said about that!

Which is exactly what they want you to believe.

Schonert may be an arrogant dick, but the players weren't executing much of anything very well. At some point the players have to actually execute their assignments on the plays. All the advice and input from numerous sources doesn't change that.

Guest dog14787
Which is exactly what they want you to believe.

Schonert may be an arrogant dick, but the players weren't executing much of anything very well. At some point the players have to actually execute their assignments on the plays. All the advice and input from numerous sources doesn't change that.

The Bills QB had problems finding the proper passing lanes last season and in my opinion some of the remnants of Fairchilds original offense along with smallish WR's was causing the problem. DJ wanted some of the formations the Bills offense was using eliminated and Shonert was against it. I agree with DJ and AVP stands a good chance of doing better then Shonert because its hard to do worse.

After going all of last season and never getting in sync its obvious we have a problem and its more then not executing in my opinion.

::sigh:: No. I don't know that and either do you. The current players HAVE to say it is a positive situation no matter how they really feel. Consider the following 2 possibilities for a media interview with Trent a week before the season opener:

Interviewer: So Trent, what is you opinion of Turk being replaced by AVP?

Trent: I think it was a horrible mistake of epic proportions. I'm not sure how we can possibly win more than 3 games this season now. You need more than 1 week with a OC before you go live in a game. We are doomed.

or

Interviewer: So Trent, what is you opinion of Turk being replaced by AVP?

Trent: I think it was unfortunate that it had to be done. But that is in the past and I have every confidence that Alex will step in a do a great job. When you think about it, it's not a huge change. Alex has been with this team for years. It's not like an outsider coming in.

Which are you most likely to read? I'm not saying I know what Trent or the rest of the team believes. All I am saying is that what you read/hear in interviews does not tell you either. They have to tow the party line.

Lee doesn't have to tow the party line, given the huge extension they gave him last year. Trent would, since his future is in question. But these 2 haven't said anything complimentary towards Schonert for almost a year now. Heck I don't even recall them being that excited about him becoming OC last year. And the offense has been crap, so why would anyone think that anyone was happy with Schonert's OC'ing?

I can't help but wonder how many other OCers don't do the same as Schonert...I could be wrong, but I've never worked anywhere where any boss gave a crap about input from anyone but other bosses...I would assume football is no different....again I say I could be wrong...maybe its just my crap job experiences that have influenced this thought process...lol...anyways, it's good to hear that he sounds like he's getting his confidence back...sounds like he could be back to his 5-1 start play style and not his play style from the last half of season 2008...can only hope

You're missing one key point. From what has been reported, Schonert wasn't even taking advice from other bosses/coaches. Heck he wouldn't even take advice from HIS BOSS (Jauron). Schonert was the mouthy guy talking about how much better things would be if he were in charge and how he should be in charge.

To me it's simple. When even Peyton Manning is talking about simpler being better when running the hurry up, it holds ALOT more water than Turk and his complicated plans. To me the key is that you need an OC that works with his QB to be successful. If it's nothing but a power struggle it's a long, unproductive season.

The Bills QB had problems finding the proper passing lanes last season and in my opinion some of the remnants of Fairchilds original offense along with smallish WR's was causing the problem. DJ wanted some of the formations the Bills offense was using eliminated and Shonert was against it. I agree with DJ and AVP stands a good chance of doing better then Shonert because its hard to do worse.

This is all your conjecture, right?

When Fairchild left, this board was rife with this same sentiment. Fairchild didn't know anything about offense, he wasn't listening to anyone, Jauron was promoting a guy that would do things his way, the right way. :flirt:

And, then Todd Haley fired his OC and we know the rest.

After going all of last season and never getting in sync its obvious we have a problem and its more then not executing in my opinion.

Well, yeah. Still, sometimes the plays called were just fine. People not blocking, dropping the ball, and other mistakes were the problem.

This is all your conjecture, right?

When Fairchild left, this board was rife with this same sentiment. Fairchild didn't know anything about offense, he wasn't listening to anyone, Jauron was promoting a guy that would do things his way, the right way. :flirt:

And, then Todd Haley fired his OC and we know the rest.

Well, yeah. Still, sometimes the plays called were just fine. People not blocking, dropping the ball, and other mistakes were the problem.

Should the Bills have kept Schonert as OC? What is your stand on that issue? Are you "dance with who you brung" or a "change could be good?"

Should the Bills have kept Schonert as OC? What is your stand on that issue? Are you "dance with who you brung" or a "change could be good?"

I have to give credit for the move to Todd Haley. If he doesn't fire Chan Gailey, who was a hold over, then the Bucs and Bills probably stick with the girl they brought to the dance (at least for a few games).

Your question is a good one. First, I have no idea what the situation was really like on the inside. It may be as much that Schonert quit as it was that Jauron fired him. (That was the situation in Tampa, I hear.) I'm not gullible enough to swallow whatever those that are left are willing to put out there hook, line, and sinker. I never thought the Schonert promotion was inspired or really all that good of a move. I would've tried to hire an experienced OC.

Just at face value though, if I had a young OC that was struggling, I probably would not have fired him on the doorstep of the season. I'd have to expect mistakes from a 1st/2nd year OC. I'd have to expect them but be confident enough in our system that we could get things corrected. And, I'd have to consider the alternatives, which would be to put someone with even less experience into the situation. But, that's just face value and we don't really know the level of chaos that was going on in the coaching staff.

We'll have to wait and see if this was the right move. I hope it was, like I was hopeful that Schonert would be able to turn the offense around, and like I was hopeful that Fairchild would be able to turn it around. So far, my hopes have all been shot down.