Tomorrow is the anniversary of the no punt game

Beerball

As always Beerball, thanks for bringing attention to this important date in Bills history.

As I think about the glory days, I am actually feeling a profound sadness.

As Bill Polian said upon his exit, "Cherish them, you will not see their like again."

I have a good life but one of the few things I wanted to see before I die is our Bills winning a Super Bowl. It seems we are very far away from that ever happening.

After going to San Fran and doing that I just KNEW we were going to win the superbowl that year...

I'd love to have that game on tape. It is THE one I have always wanted to get my hands on.

I'm in the "getting rid of shiit" mood, just unloaded a bunch of stuff in garage sale. Have piles of Bills crap: tapes,media guides (including 1960), posters. I've enjoyed it, now it's time to move on.

I'll be glad to send you the VHS tape of the no-punt game. Any other tapes ou want?, I probably have 'em.

Send message with address.

I hope you don't mind me sharing, but I included a story about this game in my book "Then Levy Said to Kelly...".

Showdown in San Francisco

Jim Kelly had many special games under center for Buffalo. But when the Bills traveled west on September 13, 1992, to meet the San Francisco 49ers, he was spectacular! As was his counterpart, Steve Young.

Kelly completed 22 of 33 pass attempts for an NFL career-high 403 yards and three touchdowns, two to tight end Pete Metzelaars and one to running back Thurman Thomas. Young, meanwhile, passed for a career-high 449 yards and three touchdowns. The teams combined for 1,086 yards of offense, the fourth-highest total in league history. However, they did get into the NFL’s record book by playing in a game where, for the first time, no punts were attempted by either team. The Bills won, 34-31, for their second of four victories to open the season.

"It was one of the most exciting games I’ve ever played in," said Kelly. "When you don’t punt, either team, and you rack up as many yards as we did and wind up winning the game, we were very fortunate. Andre [Reed] was a key. Of course, Kent Hull was a key and Thurman [Thomas] was a big key. But as far as the passing game, Andre was my man. He was the guy that I knew to go to in certain situations. I knew that he was the guy that not many could handle one-on-one on the inside. He was my go-to man, without a doubt!

"Pete was a guy that if I was ever in trouble, I knew I could look for that big ‘ol frame, and he was going to be there. He ran the best routes probably of anybody on the team. Not much as far as run after catch, but Pete was one of those guys who was Mr. Reliable. We were on the same page every single play."

As far as what turned out to be a Quarterback Challenge that was not a made-for-television event and did not involve trying to hit a target on a moving golf cart? "I remember playing him (Young) in the USFL, too," recalled Kelly. "‘The Greatest Game That Nobody Saw’ was the Sports Illustrated caption. We dueled out in Los Angeles and the final score was like, 38-35, or something like that [actually 34-33]. They [L.A. Express] were beating us [Houston Gamblers] by three touchdowns, and we came back to beat them. Every time I played against Steve Young it was a battle."

We all talk about players we need but to me (in addition to QB) we haven't had a really good TE since McKeller or Metz. Jay R was ok, but not the impact the other two were.

I remember in a playoff game against Oakland at home (1993?) metz was going for a football in the endzone and just destroyed one of his fingers. It was a pretty gross injury.

I'm in the "getting rid of shiit" mood, just unloaded a bunch of stuff in garage sale. Have piles of Bills crap: tapes,media guides (including 1960), posters. I've enjoyed it, now it's time to move on.

I'll be glad to send you the VHS tape of the no-punt game. Any other tapes ou want?, I probably have 'em.

Send message with address.

That's ok bud. A friend just sent me a link to a condensed version on youtube. I do appreciate the offer though