JETER....JETER...JETER!!!!!

The Poojer

Its just a shame how everyone in the NY metropolotian area is going nuts over Jeter for setting a club record. A record as you pointed out no one knew who owned this record a year ago. BUT Marty Brodeur sets NHL records that might never be broken and no one cares. Brodeur is Jeter except with League wide records yet no one cares.

And he plays for New Jersey. :doh:

Its just a shame how everyone in the NY metropolotian area is going nuts over Jeter for setting a club record. A record as you pointed out no one knew who owned this record a year ago. BUT Marty Brodeur sets NHL records that might never be broken and no one cares. Brodeur is Jeter except with League wide records yet no one cares.

No one knew?

I grew up in WNY listening to the Yankees on AM radio every game. It's what was for breakfast in the 60's. I understand the haters, but there are far move lovers like me from our area that did know 'the Pride' had the most hits ever, than your limited sphere of reference would imlpy.

Congrats, Derek!

its been low through almost 26 world championships......

Exactly. The two are uncorrelated and thus meaningless.

Now if you want to talk about stats that mean something, Jeter's lifetime Adjusted OPS+ is 121, good for a tie for 307th all-time. Gerhig's was 179 (4th). Williams was 191 (2nd). Babe Ruth's was 207 (1st).

Disclosure: I was brought up to be a Yankee-hater. I ended up being a Phillies fan, and still am. My favorite player was Mike Schmidt (career OPS+ 147). I don't hate the Yanks with as much passion as I did as a kid. I actually like Jeter & Posada. I liked Brosius, O'Neill & Leyritz (before everything that went down). I think Yankees fans should appreciate Mariano Rivera more (try enduring Mitch Williams AND Brad Lidge in the same lifetime). I think the Red Sox are just about as bad a the Evil Empire now. But I'm okay with it. You know why? Because the Phillies are

(NSFW) That's why.

:doh:

Exactly. The two are uncorrelated and thus meaningless.

Now if you want to talk about stats that mean something, Jeter's lifetime Adjusted OPS+ is 121, good for a tie for 307th all-time. Gerhig's was 179 (4th). Williams was 191 (2nd). Babe Ruth's was 207 (1st).

I don't see how that stat means anything either. None of those players were leadoff hitters at any point in their career. I'm not saying that Jeter would ever approach the greats of the game in that regard but that was never going to be his role anyway.

Many of the things the guy does are beyond measure, not the least of which is not be a total douchebag despite being the Captain of the New York Yankees. I think the little B word fest that Rice put up a couple of weeks ago illustrated that perfectly.

Disclosure: I was brought up to be a Yankee-hater. I ended up being a Phillies fan, and still am. My favorite player was Mike Schmidt (career OPS+ 147). I don't hate the Yanks with as much passion as I did as a kid. I actually like Jeter & Posada. I liked Brosius, O'Neill & Leyritz (before everything that went down). I think Yankees fans should appreciate Mariano Rivera more (try enduring Mitch Williams AND Brad Lidge in the same lifetime).

I don't think you'll find a Yankee fan who doesn't appreciate Rivera equally to Jeter. They're synonymous with excellence.

I think the Red Sox are just about as bad a the Evil Empire now.

Just about?

But I'm okay with it. You know why? Because the Phillies are
(NSFW) That's why.

:doh:

Enjoy that title. :doh:

Derek Jeter from day one has been the consummate professional and has personafied excellence, in every facet of the game . Without question in my view there has been no greater leader and captain in the last twenty years as Derek Jeter. His recent record is amazing, but for me, his greatest moment was the day he dove in to the stands and made the catch, against the Red Sox no less. That was the day he engraved his name with the rest of the Yankee Legends.

Hockey is a niche game... Nobody really cares. :doh: