Offensive Line

In reading through Mark Gaughan's excellent editorials today on the state of the Bills (Bills test improv skills and It's now or never for Jauron and Bell won't get ahead of himself) I came across an interesting fact that Gaughan researched regarding the vast lack of experience on the Bills O-line. The exact quote is this:

The Bills’ starting offensive line has a combined 56 career starts. That’s the lowest number for a team to start a season in seven years, since the New York Giants opened the 2002 season with a unit that had a combined 54 starts.

A quick visit to Pro-Football Reference shows that the 2002 New York Giants team that Gaughan cites ended up with a record of 10-6. That team started from left to right, Luke Pettigout, Rich Seubert, Chris Bober, Jason Whittle, and Mike Rosenthal.

That unit was a tough, smart, overachieving group that played well enough to help the team to the NFC wild card game where they lost to San Francisco, 39-38.

So, there is a recent precedent for a team with very little O-line experience to play well and make the playoffs. Incidentally that O-line was coached by Jim McNally, who all of us here know. Sean Kugler, our present offensive line coach could be fairly said to be a McNally disciple.

The other cause for optimism would be that the Bills do succeed in signing Jon Runyan and install him at his natural right tackle position, move Butler back to right guard. That would free up Eric Wood to play any of two other positions, probably left guard.

If this were to happen, the Bills would have a smart, tough unit with good veteran leadership in Runyan and Hangartner. Even if the Runyan thing does not happen, there is a glimmer of hope that this unit will succeed in short order.

I thought this topic would be a nice diversion from "the sky is falling" threads which have darkened our usual optimism.

oh man, the end of that wildcard game was nuts. The botched field goal leading to miracle heave and blown call by the officials.

I think our line is just a giant question mark. It's been shown though, as you point out, that young offensive lines CAN be good enough to get you into the playoffs. Another example that comes to mind is the Ravens just last season.

I think our line is just a giant question mark. It's been shown though, as you point out, that young offensive lines CAN be good enough to get you into the playoffs. Another example that comes to mind is the Ravens just last season.

After doing the research, you're mostly right. Last year's Ravens O-line featured four players with a combined 67 starts. Right tackle Willie Anderson however was a 12 year veteran.

If the Bills were successful in signing Runyan, they would have a similar composition to the 2008 Ravens O-line experience-wise.

Anyways I think it's very encouraging that the 2002 Giants had an even less experienced O-line than we do and yet they made the playoffs with it.

After doing the research, you're mostly right. Last year's Ravens O-line featured four players with a combined 67 starts. Right tackle Willie Anderson however was a 12 year veteran.

If the Bills were successful in signing Runyan, they would have a similar composition to the 2008 Ravens O-line experience-wise.

Anyways I think it's very encouraging that the 2002 Giants had an even less experienced O-line than we do and yet they made the playoffs with it.

The OL certainly put the league on notice during the preseason games.

Good find. The line is definitely, at the very least, a long-term cause for optimism. As down as we all are (except CBiscuit97) on the coming season, the fact that they finally addressed the interior o-line this offseason bodes well for the future, and if Bell is a player, it's all even better. Toughness along the line has been an issue here for years, and while these guys may get overmatched at times, there's little question that they're fighters. I'll take that.

That Giants team was pretty fluky they fell apart right after that 10-6 season (7-9 the next year and 4-12 the year after). Collins had his last good season as a Giant (4000 yards) while Schockey, Tiki Barber, and Toomer had good years as well. Michael Strahan carried the D to be a respectable bunch. As you pointed out the O-line put a good enough year.

To me this O-line is a crap shoot and a work in progress. Bell, Wood, and Levitre all have huge ceilings but you don't know what they will do this year. Butler and Hangartner while the more proven starters on this team have shown nothing but average this pre-season. To me if both of those guys can be solid and if Wood, Bell, and Levitre could play better than expected (Especially Bell and Levitre) at times and grow as the year goes on than the line could be a cause for optimism down the line.