Wait, Now Its 30 Million?

BillsNYC

What he said: There are now more than thirty million American citizens who cannot get coverage.

What he meant: I know I said as recently as last month that there 47 million uninsured, but I’m changing the baseline.

Nope, 17 million people did not just find insurance in the last month. The adjusted figure is part of the White House’s effort to distance itself from claims that health reform will cover illegal immigrants. Census figures, which will be updated Thursday, show there are 47 million uninsured – but about 10 million are illegal immigrants. Another five to seven million are people who could go on Medicaid, but have not. That leaves about 30 million that the president needs to cover under the bill. Expect to hear this number instead of the larger figure from now on, according to White House aides.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0909/26969_Page2.html

And how many of those just don't want health insurance?

And how many of those just don't want health insurance?

At least 10 million from estimates I've seen. I know people that make six figures and opt out of the health plan. And much higher if you include the so-called 'poor' who somehow can afford satellite TV, new I-pods and I-phones and every other useless gadget under the sun.

I'm still waiting to hear why he simply doesn't propose to build some additional free health clinics in low-income areas to serve the uninsured. Probably save a few trillion along the way.

At least 10 million from estimates I've seen. I know people that make six figures and opt out of the health plan. And much higher if you include the so-called 'poor' who somehow can afford satellite TV, new I-pods and I-phones and every other useless gadget under the sun.

I'm still waiting to hear why he simply doesn't propose to build some additional free health clinics in low-income areas to serve the uninsured. Probably save a few trillion along the way.

The so-called poor. HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

The frustrating thing about this discussion is that the 30 million, or whatever the number is, is only part of the point. First off these folks tend to be middle class young adults who don't pay into the system and are generally healthy unless something catastrophic happens to them, the old 10 foot tall and bullet proof mentality, or they are small business owners who just can't afford it on their own and tend to be of the ranks of the middle class. Without reform the middle class will keep getting screwed by the trickle down theorists, with reform there is a chance they might get some adequate service.

Heck there are a lot of folks that can barely afford the premiums they are currently paying, but they have a family and suck it up, despite the service for these plans being woefully inadequate. In one of the other posts from OH, I saw the exception to pre-existing conditions and I had to laugh... sounds like a credit card statement basically the fine print says you are screwed.

So yes the current system needs to be reformed, no I don't like insurance companies... the question on "Morning Joe" this morning...Would rather have insurance cos invest your money or the government?... My answer... T-Bills and government bonds sound a whole lot more attractive for a non-player like me than some broker at AIG... At least I will have money when I retire and I won't spend it right now and I am not depending on the market to keep going up for the next 20 years without a significant downturn when I am ready to retire.

In my case, I actually diversify in all of the above to make sure I have something left at the end, even if one goes in the crapper. Still, healthcare should be accessible and affordable and for one of the richest countries in the world not to provide it consistently is unconscionable IMO, however it is done.

The other element of it is that the numbers reflect who just doesn't have any insurance at all the entire year. That number, of legal Americans, is in the 30-38 million range. If you count people that don't have insurance for parts of the year whether it be 11 months or 7 or 4 or whatever, studies have that at around 80-90 million.

Of course they changed the numbers from 47 to 30 Million. The information is out, the only way you can come up with that number is by including illegals.

So the number has been changed so that there is less confusion about the illegals getting coverage and a stronger argument that it will cost less.

Simple

It would be useful to go back to the Clinton years and recall their rhetoric, predictions, etc...

I remember "40 million Americans" as being uninsured. Does anyone remember what the projected future number was to scare us into HillaryCare? 80 Million?