Text of Owens conference call with Boston media

Beerball

As soon as I read the article I knew he was kidding. How anyone could take that seriously is beyond me. It's the whole "TO is going to start a controversy" mentality. JMO

Exactly, or more like HOPING TO is going to start a controversy.

Him just being a normal player and answering questions like they all do isn't a story, so even a glimpse of his antics makes most reporters run with it full speed.

To be fair, my initial (and brief) story did question Owens' initial comment, while noting he did express concern of being winded and referred to the offense as being "all right." Other media had already reported the comment well before I went to the wire.

Upon listening to the actual audio of the conference call, it was still unclear as to whether he was joking or not. He laughed, but there was a pause. There was enough doubt there that it became evident to question Owens' intent.

After he posted on Twitter, it became clear he was joking. Though why he started his answer the way he did -- and in these turbulent and sensitive times in regards to the offense -- is open for debate.

jw

This is one of the well-known problems of the digital age, unfortunately, and it's a problem for both writers and readers. Writers are under greater pressure than before to push out product quickly, and don't have the time to spend even a few hours digging below the surface before submitting an initial story for publication. Since stories can be corrected so easily--it's not like we have to wait for another paper edition of the publication to come out now--I suspect that editors and publishers push speed over depth (I do mean depth and not accuracy here; there's nothing to suggest that the initial story was inaccurate). So you writers are faced with the problem of having to guess, at times, when it comes to issues of nuance, intent, etc. That can't be fun.

On the other hand, there's a bunch of us readers out here, each eager to get the news as quickly as possible, and each eager to draw conclusions from it. And of course, since some readers are also media members, stories containing just facts get picked up by others, who add their own conclusions and spin, which it appears ESPN did here.

Imagine if--for example--someone quickly reported the Walker release, just the facts. Then an online columnist picked up on those facts, and opined--just speculated, not reported--that Walker may have been because really, he was very close to Turk Schoenert and may have objected to the firing. Then a radio host reads that opinion and reports the opinion in an authoritative voice, leading more people to conclude that it's a fact that Walker was released because he supported the old OC. And then, the front office has to deny that, which also gets reported, spun, re-reported in the same fashion. Now, we have the story, the story about the story, the story changing the story, etc. It's a mess.

I find myself reading as much internet news as ever, but I'm not drawing conclusions from it as quickly. I try to let a day go by. But rarely do I find that the initial reporters are to blame when something blows up and becomes messy (not that this has risen to that level).

And John, if you can tolerate it, please stick around; it's interesting to read you and Tim when you talk about your jobs.

As soon as I read the article I knew he was kidding. How anyone could take that seriously is beyond me. It's the whole "TO is going to start a controversy" mentality. JMO

It's not dissimilar to BSPN making Ralph look like a doddering old fool with his "I didn't understand it" joke after that joke of a CBA was signed and all the other owners where whooping it up and popping champagne like they'd just scored some major victory. Some people are just too dull to grasp humor. :pirate:

To interrupt the ESPN-bashing for a second, the story Owens commented on was actually the first update John filed, not an opinion presented by any of their writers. Other reporters (New England-based, and unaffiliated with ESPN) shared his initial reaction. And as he noted earlier in the thread, he revisited the piece after listening to the audio of the conference call.

Thanks for stopping by to provide some additional clarification, John.

Carry on ...

And John, if you can tolerate it, please stick around; it's interesting to read you and Tim when you talk about your jobs.

I agree. I really enjoy hearing from John, Tim, Lori, and others that are news/sports journalists. A few of JW's preseason write-ups have appeared in my local newspaper (Illinois) and I almost feel a connection to him because of his posts here.

They could post at other Buffalo Bills fan sites but they chose this one and I'm glad they did and they provide insight to the Bills that most of us do not have (insert SKOOBY joke here). I personally do not care to read baseless attacks on their character and credibility.

Owens also poked fun at the Patriots, after being asked whether he had anything special prepared for the game.

"I might bring my spy camera," Owens said.

:pirate: That comment makes his signing all worth it to me!! :D

I gotta agree there - we haven't had anyone on this team in 10 years that's had the balls to say something like that about the Pats. That statement was worth at least $5 mil.

It's not dissimilar to BSPN making Ralph look like a doddering old fool with his "I didn't understand it" joke after that joke of a CBA was signed and all the other owners where whooping it up and popping champagne like they'd just scored some major victory. Some people are just too dull to grasp humor. :pirate:

You may comfortably include yourself in with Ralph in this regard.