Text of Owens conference call with Boston media

Beerball

Link

Here's his full answer to the no huddle question:

Q: Do you like the no-huddle approach?

TO: No, not really. But I got to deal with it. [Laughs] No, it’s all right. It just gets you a little winded. For myself, I haven’t really practiced much the last few pre-season games so I’m still trying to get myself into shape and that’s coming around. We’re doing some things in the offense that will help me get in shape a little bit faster than I need to, especially with the upcoming Monday night game. You know, that’s part of our offense and we’re looking forward to it. I’ve gotten a taste of it since the OTA’s and I know what to expect. That’s sometimes a plus for the offense especially if we can kind of wear guys down and keep them on the field and don’t allow them to make substitutions, but you know, it’s something we’re looking forward to and we’re going to try it out.

Thanks, and WOW. That's unbelievably inaccurate reporting by ESPN, not that it should surprise me. :)

That Wawrow character that was on this board for a while really spun it as though T.O. didn't say "No, it's alright." right after that and as if T.O. left you wondering what he meant by that or whether he was joking. If that's the kind of reporting he's doing, I'm not sorry he had his little temper tantrum and left the board.

That Wawrow character that was on this board for a while really spun it as though T.O. didn't say "No, it's alright." right after that and as if T.O. left you wondering what he meant by that or whether he was joking. If that's the kind of reporting he's doing, I'm not sorry he had his little temper tantrum and left the board.

A temper tantrum? In what thread? I decide to go to work one day and I miss all the good stuff....

Looks pretty balanced to me.

To be fair, my initial (and brief) story did question Owens' initial comment, while noting he did express concern of being winded and referred to the offense as being "all right." Other media had already reported the comment well before I went to the wire.

Upon listening to the actual audio of the conference call, it was still unclear as to whether he was joking or not. He laughed, but there was a pause. There was enough doubt there that it became evident to question Owens' intent.

After he posted on Twitter, it became clear he was joking. Though why he started his answer the way he did -- and in these turbulent and sensitive times in regards to the offense -- is open for debate.

jw

Actually, how he truly feels about it is revealed by what he said in his clarification, after laughing at his initial response, i.e. "it's all right." He neither loves it nor hates it. But he'll still go 110% and produce in it.

The interviewer disagrees with your conclusion.

Unfortunately, no matter what TO says or what he really meant, anything that comes out of his mouth is going to be spun and used by ESPN and the rest to make it look like he is being his bad old self if they can get away with it.

This shouldn't surprise anyone because it is part of the cost of bringing him in.

It is just something we will have to deal with all season.