bill polian

why did we ever let this guy go, what was the reason

this is a great interview into how the bills were made!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmDRiXBeA6o

He did not get along with people on Ralph's staff (Jeff Littman, Linda Bogdan).

Before this discussion goes any further, however, and in response to the dozens of "woe unto us for allowing Bill to leave" Jeremiads that have been sprinkled across TSW like so many pinches of pixie dust hindsight in the last weeks, months, and years, please allow me to ask a question that has been nagging at me, namely:

Bill Polian was fired more than 16 years ago. (February 1993!) Does anyone really think that if he had not been fired then that he would somehow magically still be Bills GM today? John Butler, who followed in Polian's footsteps, was ready to bail by 2000 realizing that the end of the line had come... would Polian have been any different?

One might as well mourn the Lamonica trade. It still hurts, and worrying over it has exactly the same practical effect.

Carry on!

it just all depends, maybe the bills would have been better prepared for a roster turnover with polian, clearly after 99 this team fell off big time... with polian maybe that wouldnt of happened....

Since Butler was a Polian disciple, I rather doubt it. Bill wanted--and got--the challenge of building up teams from scratch. (That was what Butler wanted too, which is why he cut and ran in 2000 to go to SD. Nothing wrong with that, but itneeds to be said.) Polian did a wonderful job in all three places has has been GM, but did not manage "roster turnover" in either Buffalo or Carolina. Whether he will in Indy remains to be seen. I will wager that his genius will last until Peyton retires.

He called ralphs daughter a c#$t. That was the final straw for Ralph. Stupid move yes, but there is no way in hell I fire the best GM in Football.

But alas, Ralph lucked into Bill. He felt he could take 'anyone' on his staff and they be a great GM and continue with the talent they had. Well, look at the Bills after he left and look at what Bill has done with the two teams he has been with since he left.

Bad move Ralph.

He called ralphs daughter a c#$t. That was the final straw for Ralph. Stupid move yes, but there is no way in hell I fire the best GM in Football.

But alas, Ralph lucked into Bill. He felt he could take 'anyone' on his staff and they be a great GM and continue with the talent they had. Well, look at the Bills after he left and look at what Bill has done with the two teams he has been with since he left.

Bad move Ralph.

I'd knock his @ss out. How could any self respecting person allow any male to insult his daughter?

Polian is a really good GM. But is it really had to draft Bruce Smith and Peyton Manning #1 overall? Polian picked his spots well and got in situations where he got really high draft picks with dominant, franchise changing players on the board.

picking andre reed, steve tasker, will wolford kent hull, signing jim kelly and taking a risk with thurman trading for bennett, hardly luck man, he was the best!

Oh he was very good but he was also very fortunate. Without Bruce, we don't go to Super Bowls. Without Manning, the Colts are a very average team.

Oh he was very good but he was also very fortunate. Without Bruce, we don't go to Super Bowls. Without Manning, the Colts are a very average team.

Every year there is a number 1 pick and it is a total crapshoot. Did you forget about Alex Smith who was taken 20+ before Aaron Rodgers? It is hardly luck. His Indy team has won 11 games in something like 7 or 8 years in a row . Peyton has lot to do with it but he has an amazing supporting cast and they were all drafted. They don't do fee agents in Indy.

I'd knock his @ss out. How could any self respecting person allow any male to insult his daughter?

How do you expect Ralph to "knock his @ss out? It was a lot easier for Ralph to fire Polian than to take him on physically. Ralph ain't knocking anyone on his @ss. Plus Ralph is a little too smart to get physically violent, even when he was in his 70s he was too old for such nonsense.

Every year there is a number 1 pick and it is a total crapshoot. Did you forget about Alex Smith who was taken 20+ before Aaron Rodgers? It is hardly luck. His Indy team has won 11 games in something like 7 or 8 years in a row . Peyton has lot to do with it but he has an amazing supporting cast and they were all drafted. They don't do fee agents in Indy.

I've said Polian is a very good GM. I just think he is a tad overrated. If you look at Indy's draft history, they have taken a lot of skill players and defensive backs high. "Draft experts" on this board had said this is the wrong way to build a team. Indy's draft have been very similar to ours. Difference is they got a chance to draft Peyton Manning with a #1 overall pick.

does anyone honestly think if we had Manning instead of our scrubs that we would be in a decade long drought?

Bad move Ralph.

First of all, I don't believe for one minute Polian used that word to descibe his bosses daughter, and I challange you to prove it. Secondly, if he did hate her that much, and we all know he had a quick temper, that was his fault, since no matter how great a GM he was for the Bills, and he was, nobody can put down the owners' daughter, and win.

Polian's current boss, Jim Irsay, thanked the Lord when he won the SB. Do you think this devout man would allow Bill Polian to call his daughter a c... and get away with it? Polian should have controlled his temper, despite his young age, back then, and continued to lead his great Bills to a SB WIN, before he quit or got fired.

Bad move Ralph.

I think Polian forced Ralph's hand. Polian had tired of Ralph and his minions so he dispensed with respect for Ralph and co., knowing he could get another GM gig without any real effort. I mean, how do you deal with gross insubordination which was the path Polian apparently had chosen?

First of all, I don't believe for one minute Polian used that word to descibe his bosses daughter, and I challange you to prove it. Secondly, if he did hate her that much, and we all know he had a quick temper, that was his fault, since no matter how great a GM he was for the Bills, and he was, nobody can put down the owners' daughter, and win.

Polian's current boss, Jim Irsay, thanked the Lord when he won the SB. Do you think this devout man would allow Bill Polian to call his daughter a c... and get away with it? Polian should have controlled his temper, despite his young age, back then, and continued to lead his great Bills to a SB WIN, before he quit or got fired.

He didn't just walk down the hall and call her that. Linda fashioned herself as an NFL scout, conveniently on her father's team. I believe Linda was in the draft room and Polian wanted her out. He ended up saying something to her and that was that...

I have no idea if Linda knew if a football was filled with air or stuffed with feathers, but the place to prove that was on another football team, not her father's.

Whatever Polian said to her was probably out of line, but seriously - the owner's daughter in the draft room?

He didn't just walk down the hall and call her that. Linda fashioned herself as an NFL scout, conveniently on her father's team. I believe Linda was in the draft room and Polian wanted her out. He ended up saying something to her and that was that...

I have no idea if Linda knew if a football was filled with air or stuffed with feathers, but the place to prove that was on another football team, not her father's.

Whatever Polian said to her was probably out of line, but seriously - the owner's daughter in the draft room?

The owner's daughter was a real NFL scout at the time. She had every right to be in the draft room if she wanted to be a part of the process. What the hell was the problem with Polian and Linda Bogdan anyway? They managed to co-exist well enough to build a 2-14 joke into a 3 time SB team in 7 years, and then all of a sudden, they have this huge argument that leads to Polian getting fired?? Only in Buffalo.

The owner's daughter was a real NFL scout at the time. She had every right to be in the draft room if she wanted to be a part of the process. What the hell was the problem with Polian and Linda Bogdan anyway? They managed to co-exist well enough to build a 2-14 joke into a 3 time SB team in 7 years, and then all of a sudden, they have this huge argument that leads to Polian getting fired?? Only in Buffalo.

Like I said, I have no idea what she did or didn't know, so I can't make any judgments on her football knowledge. I do know that she was employed by her father and like it or not - that raises red flags. Apparently Bill didn't think too highly of her and he wanted her out of his way.

Now, you said she has every right to be in the draft room. Really? Why would you think that? I'm thinking the GM is there and whomever he wants to be there. Does every member of the Bills organization get to be in the draft room if they want to? I'm thinking "no".

I've said Polian is a very good GM. I just think he is a tad overrated. If you look at Indy's draft history, they have taken a lot of skill players and defensive backs high. "Draft experts" on this board had said this is the wrong way to build a team. Indy's draft have been very similar to ours. Difference is they got a chance to draft Peyton Manning with a #1 overall pick.

does anyone honestly think if we had Manning instead of our scrubs that we would be in a decade long drought?

To say Polian is overrated is insane. Peyton would make a difference on every team but again, who are there big ticket FA's? They draft well, they stay true to their system and manage the cap well. He also drafted Mavin Harrison, Reggie Wayne, Edge, Adai, Saurday, Clark.....get it? Peyton is great but Polian puts him in a position to be the best. We draft Lil Donte, they draft Bob Sanders. Look what he did in Carolina, he makes all of the difference.

Guest dog14787

Glad you explained it properly, tempers flare sometimes and I can only imagine what its like in the draft room during a draft.

Especially if she's trying to tell him what to do, granted it was RW's daughter, but still.