Question about the existence of a "gay gene". IF it exists..

There was some discussion on this in another thread a few weeks ago...and I was thinking about this but didn't have time to post it. I am no biology Ph.D., but I do have a basic understanding of genetics.

If there is a gay gene and therefore, if you have it, you are born gay, you can't change your genes, right? I can't wake up one day and change my hair color. My DNA says it's the color it is. I am aware of gene therapy...but that's not the point.

More importantly, those people who insist that being gay is not a choice, and that it is a scientific certainty that they were born that way....are saying that the opposite must also be true = people are born straight. In fact, this entire argument depends on there being a definitive, causal gene that works like a light switch.

Essentially, this argument then leaves only two options: straight or gay. But, reality tells us that "switch hitters" exist. Within the confines of this argument, bisexuals are either gay or straight, but choose to be "deviant" once in a while. Doesn't their ability to choose invalidate the entire "born this way" argument?

Unless it's possible to have a % of a gene. I suppose it's possible to look at it like hair color = there are more than 2 answers, and sometimes they blend together....but wouldn't that mean that there's no such thing as being 100% gay or 100% straight? Instead, is there is a sex line...and what you are depends on how close your "gay gene" is to one extreme or the other?

Therefore, wouldn't that mean that you can't in fact be born gay or straight, but rather some blend? And therefore, you choose to act on the part you feel more comfortable with? In that case...it could be argued that choosing to be gay is simply acting on your impulses. And, that bisexuality is simply acting on the impulses you feel today. Both of these are clearly choices and not predetermined. Not every person that is born with a predisposition to depression kills themselves. They simply choose to either ignore or get some sort of treatment for their condition.

Ultimately, it seems to me that bisexuals throw a serious wrench into the entire "born gay" argument. I'm just not sure what the effects of it are, or whether we are talking wrenches or apple pies, but it seems clear that people who claim to be born gay, can't be claiming civil rights protection, along the same lines as gender or race, as long as there are bisexual people running around mucking up their arguments. :wallbash: Sucks to be them.

There was some discussion on this in another thread a few weeks ago...and I was thinking about this but didn't have time to post it. I am no biology Ph.D., but I do have a basic understanding of genetics.

If there is a gay gene and therefore, if you have it, you are born gay, you can't change your genes, right? I can't wake up one day and change my hair color.

Dude I stopped reading right there. Thousands and thousands of people change their hair color every day. Do you really believe Ronald Reagan had black hair into his 80s?

Ultimately, it seems to me that bisexuals throw a serious wrench into the entire "born gay" argument. I'm just not sure what the effects of it are, or whether we are talking wrenches or apple pies, but it seems clear that people who claim to be born gay, can't be claiming civil rights protection, along the same lines as gender or race, as long as there are bisexual people running around mucking up their arguments. :thumbsup: Sucks to be them.

Some animals prefer sexual relations with their own sex. Some like the opposite. Some like both. BFD. Who cares? Born gay. Choose to be gay. What adults do with their privates is their business.

Some animals prefer sexual relations with their own sex. Some like the opposite. Some like both. BFD. Who cares? Born gay. Choose to be gay. What adults do with their privates is their business.

And if being gay is not caused by genes, but by hormonal imbalances... is it then ethical for parents to use hormone therapy to "cure" their children?

The majority of genetic effects seen are not simply one single gene being "on" or "off."

For example, in East German scientists, there's two that determine intelligence.

But it does only take one to make a silicon-eating dinosaur truculent.

The majority of genetic effects seen are not simply one single gene being "on" or "off."

A lot of people can't wrap their heads around the process of recombinative genes. IF (And based on what I have seen I have no reason to believe there isn't a biological basis for home/hetro sexuality and bisexuality) there is a "Gay gene" It isn't likely to be one gene but rather a process of multiple genes expressing themselves in a fashion that produces an affection for sexual desire in either gender or both genders so Bisexuality isn't the smoking gun for there not being a gene.

The only people that think Homosexuality can be cured are hardcore Christian zealots (And that is coming from a guy who goes to church every Sunday) and I am talking about being cured with prayer not things like gene therapy which I am not sure is possible but it might be at least I can't rule it out 100%. Just accept people for what they are gay people don't hurt anyone and they aren't going to try and recruit your children either.

The only reason some zealots can't accept a biological basis for homosexuality is than that would mean God created them that way and they would look stupid to persecute someone for the way God made them. So they cling to the lie that Gays can be cured and its a choice. Let them get married, if they are capable parents let them adopt kids. Lets practice some of that tolerance Jesus was talking about.