The ONLY problem with the Bills and the playoffs

tennesseeboy

and I say they have not and I'm not the only one, many of us view the O-line as a work in progress as it should be viewed including the coaching staff. Its also why the coaching staff has probably instructed TE to not take any unwarranted chances in preseason.

I certainly view it that way too (a Work in progress) but Trent is not a proven commodity and needs the work too.

The O-line has indeed pass protected well though. You can say no but its not really accurate, atleast relatively speaking -

Walker held up extremely well vs. the Steelers vaunted right side rush.

The linemen who do get pushed back are maintaining their position instead of getting "Olayed" or put on their backs like past seasons.

Center play has been 5 times better than any of the recent guys manning the position.

The inner 3 seem to play as a unit, elbow to elbow, instead of the individuals they have been in past years.

multiple Sacks have come on plays where TE has a man crossing open in front of him.

Trent has played better in the past behind worse groups of linemen.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

We have the folks that seen our O-line play poorly, folks who seen our RB's play poorly, and folks who seen our QB play poorly, I myself seen the whole offense play poorly.

Maybe You don't remember because you were to busy watching our QB play poorly which he did, but all you have to do is read some of the other posters for instances or watch the game again.

So you can be single minded about it or say it was a collective effort, but anyone who knows football well will tell you it starts with the O-line, the o-line plays poorly, the offense plays poorly, its as simple or as complicated as you want to make it.

Tell that to Ben Roethlisberger and the 2008-09 Steelers, who gave up 49 sacks and won the Superbowl.

I finally sat down and watched the Buffalo Pittsburgh game all the way through. The offensive line is not doing the job, and at least at this moment is crippling every other element of the offensive game. Losing Peters, not drafting an offensive lineman as a first choice are the worst decisions the bills have made in years, and that includes a lot of bad decisions.

It is a wonder Edwards LIVED through that game. TO and Evans could have been open downfield, but TE would have been lying on his back long before he got a chance to throw. I was buying the argument of many that it was TE...but it ain't so. I have to LAUGH that we think bringing in another RECEIVER will help. Randy Moss, Jerry Rice and Andre Reed won't help if the quarterback doesn't have time to throw. Jim Kelly would be on his ass with this line. Joe Montana would be on his ass with this line. Unless we see better play from the o-line i'm seeing four wins as a major achievement.

I am not disagreeing that our line needs time to get it together, but did anybody watch Cutler dink and dunk the sh-- out of Denver this past week. He was under a lot of pressure until he started hitting his tight ends in short patterns and he walked right down the field that way. I know it might be slightly off topic, but just an FYI if you want tosee how TE is supposed to o it.

It all loops back. When Trent started he had no trouble getting the ball downfield. Jauron pretty much cut his balls off. The end result is what you see.

PTR

from nfl.com:

Season Pass Avg.

2007 6.1

2008 7.2

2009 Preseason: 5.0

Trent Edwards First Game in the NFL: 4.9 avg

First 3 games in the NFL: 6.4 avg

And finally, just b/c I noticed a pattern in these:

Bills record when Trent Edwards throws for more than 6.5 yards per attempt: 11-1 (1 exception is last year's first jet's game, where Trent threw at 8.3 ypa)

Bills record when Trent Edwards throws for less than or equal to 6.5 yards per attempt (excluding last year's ARI game): 1-10 (one win was 2nd Jets game 2007, when Trent threw at 6.2 ypa. I believe Trent was injured in that game, and it was won by a JP losman to evans bomb in the 4th qtr)

Dick Jauron is the only problem between this team and a winning record. Period.

Weak leadership from the top and not holding players accountable for their play has been this team's dirty little secret and it's what ails them the most.

Yep, we have five all pros on our line- a real group of maulers..........We have an inadequate right tackle playing left tackle, a half way decent right guard at right tackle, two rookies at guard and a joke at center. Our d-line isn't very good either, aside from Stroud.

We have a guy who used to be all pro at WR though, so I guess its a wash

Outside of the Levitre play against Tennessee, when has a lineman been shoved into his face this pre-season? I don't remember any other instances, can you give me one?

I agree he has had more time than some people think, but there was a time or two in the Green Bay game that the right guard was getting bull rushed and pushed right into Trent's throwing bubble, giving him no chance of stepping into a throw.

Guest dog14787
Tell that to Ben Roethlisberger and the 2008-09 Steelers, who gave up 49 sacks and won the Superbowl.

Defenses try to convince Big Ben that he really shouldn't be able to do some of the things he does, but the big dummy defies logic :censored:

Guest dog14787
While Big Ben has a penchant for taking sacks in order to keep plays alive, that 2008-09 Steelers line was atrocious.

twas, twas

from nfl.com:

Season Pass Avg.

2007 6.1

2008 7.2

2009 Preseason: 5.0

Trent Edwards First Game in the NFL: 4.9 avg

First 3 games in the NFL: 6.4 avg

And finally, just b/c I noticed a pattern in these:

Bills record when Trent Edwards throws for more than 6.5 yards per attempt: 11-1 (1 exception is last year's first jet's game, where Trent threw at 8.3 ypa)

Bills record when Trent Edwards throws for less than or equal to 6.5 yards per attempt (excluding last year's ARI game): 1-10 (one win was 2nd Jets game 2007, when Trent threw at 6.2 ypa. I believe Trent was injured in that game, and it was won by a JP losman to evans bomb in the 4th qtr)

Great stuff! Most interesting. Thanks!

Guest dog14787
I'm a Leach fan, but I suspect his strategy might be too radical for the NFL. That being said radical might be just what the nfl needs.

I also think Leach and Graham Harrell (Leach product) are both NFL worthy. :censored:

Defenses try to convince Big Ben that he really shouldn't be able to do some of the things he does, but the big dummy defies logic :censored:

While Big Ben has a penchant for taking sacks in order to keep plays alive, that 2008-09 Steelers line was atrocious.

twas, twas

So I swear I'm not trying to pick on you here, but doesn't that kind of mean that the game doesn't really start with the o-line, but rather with the QB, if a team with an admittedly atrocious line can win the Superbowl?

So I swear I'm not trying to pick on you here, but doesn't that kind of mean that the game doesn't really start with the o-line, but rather with the QB, if a team with an admittedly atrocious line can win the Superbowl?

It might speak to the quality, preparation, determination, and play-calling abilities of the coaching staff. And the front office, as well.

I was thinking about that this morning while listening to WGR and they were bashing

"Captain Checkdown".

I know Trent missed a few receivers and really didn't toss the long ball the last few

games. I place it squarely on the OL, the dude has happy feet because he does not trust

them. Don't know if he's getting killed in practice also, but man, he looks scared and is

pretty much convinced the longer pass won't be there before he even takes a snap. It's

automatic, he gives a quick look past the line, then tosses it to the short receiver.

They better figure a way to complete some passes longer than 5 yards, be it slants or whatnot,

or this guy is going to the garbage heap quickly.

It's going to be a long, long year....

I'm not blaming the OL. Just stating a fact. When the OL can't do its job, the offense can't score, can't even stay on the field and give the D a rest. Things implode from there.

I'm going to give this OL 3-4 games before I hit the "REJECT" button.