Need some help. Throwin around the idea of getting a pool.

zevo

I live in the western new york area and need some opinions about putting in an inground pool. From what I can see these things arent cheap and for a tiny inground liner with landscape and concrete its going to run 30,000 plus. My questions are for those pool owners who live in this area would u do it again or advise not too. What is the effect on the value of the home? I get some that say there is no value and can hurt the home or can increase the home value. Thoughts and advice???

What is the effect on the value of the home? I get some that say there is no value and can hurt the home or can increase the home value. Thoughts and advice???

value all depends on if the pool takes up the entire yard, or if there is plenty of space after the pool is installed. alot of people would rather have a yard than a pool

I live in the western new york area and need some opinions about putting in an inground pool. From what I can see these things arent cheap and for a tiny inground liner with landscape and concrete its going to run 30,000 plus. My questions are for those pool owners who live in this area would u do it again or advise not too. What is the effect on the value of the home? I get some that say there is no value and can hurt the home or can increase the home value. Thoughts and advice???

Your house will increase in value some but nowhere near what you will pay to have the pool put in. You will be lucky to see your home value step up by much more than 20% of what you spend on the pool. In some cases it may even push potential buyers away as a pool is another thing that has to be maintained and may be a safety hazard for a family with very young children.

Also keep in mind you will have upkeep to pay for once it is installed. I have no idea what your costs may run in WNY (as the heat here in Dallas arguably makes it harder to maintain the chemistry). I estimate that my pool probably costs me about $150 per month in electricity and chemicals (I do my own upkeep). Also with an inground pool you will have to replaster and install new tile about once every 10 -12 years. Two years ago this (along with resurfacing my concrete deck) ran me about $8K.

Bottom line is that I wish I would have convinced my wife when we were buying a house here that a pool is a money pit. we use it little and it costs us much. Next house we buy will not have one.

value all depends on if the pool takes up the entire yard, or if there is plenty of space after the pool is installed. alot of people would rather have a yard than a pool

I live in East Amherst so my yard is rather small to begin with. So I guess this would be a negative to some people. My wife and I are not looking to move until retirement (im 27 and she is 29) so I guess the value concern might be a moot point but I am a numbers and value guy so it is always a concern.

Your house will increase in value some but nowhere near what you will pay to have the pool put in. You will be lucky to see your home value step up by much more than 20% of what you spend on the pool. In some cases it may even push potential buyers away as a pool is another thing that has to be maintained and may be a safety hazard for a family with very young children.

Also keep in mind you will have upkeep to pay for once it is installed. I have no idea what your costs may run in WNY (as the heat here in Dallas arguably makes it harder to maintain the chemistry). I estimate that my pool probably costs me about $150 per month in electricity and chemicals (I do my own upkeep). Also with an inground pool you will have to replaster and install new tile about once every 10 -12 years. Two years ago this (along with resurfacing my concrete deck) ran me about $8K.

Bottom line is that I wish I would have convinced my wife when we were buying a house here that a pool is a money pit. we use it little and it costs us much. Next house we buy will not have one.

great, honest post. Couple of things though. we open the pool around june and close september so the cost of running it would only be for 3 to 4 months. I am not loking for the gunite pool just a liner. Thanks for your input. I personally could take or leave a pool. My wife is a fish and she just loves to swim and it pleases me to see her enjoy something so much.

great, honest post. Couple of things though. we open the pool around june and close september so the cost of running it would only be for 3 to 4 months. I am not loking for the gunite pool just a liner. Thanks for your input. I personally could take or leave a pool. My wife is a fish and she just loves to swim and it pleases me to see her enjoy something so much.

Good man! ;)

Be sure to factor in the cost of fencing, or upgrading what you have. Check with your homeowner policy carrier before you spring for a pool. There are liability items to discuss.

I live in East Amherst so my yard is rather small to begin with. So I guess this would be a negative to some people. My wife and I are not looking to move until retirement (im 27 and she is 29) so I guess the value concern might be a moot point but I am a numbers and value guy so it is always a concern.

above ground is way cheaper, and when you are ready to sell, the buyer can easily remove it if they are not a fan

Good man! ;)

Be sure to factor in the cost of fencing, or upgrading what you have. Check with your homeowner policy carrier before you spring for a pool. There are liability items to discuss.

Smart! I didnt even think of that! Thanks! The yard is already fenced so that should not be a prob.

Given that you're in WNY I'd put the money into a home alarm system instead. Your insurance will be reduced and it's a great selling point. Ours is for burgalry and fire. Yes I have pool but we're talking So. Fla. the pool water temperature was 89 degrees the other day.

above ground is way cheaper, and when you are ready to sell, the buyer can easily remove it if they are not a fan

No offense if you have one and I agree they are way way cheaper but to me they are an eyesore. A nice inground with landscape, I feel is beautiful.

Given that you're in WNY I'd put the money into a home alarm system instead. Your insurance will be reduced and it's a great selling point. Ours is for burgalry and fire. Yes I have pool but we're talking So. Fla. the pool water temperature was 89 degrees the other day.

Boooo. Thats a no fun answer!

Smart! I didnt even think of that! Thanks! The yard is already fenced so that should not be a prob.

You'll have to figure out the best way to lock the gate. If there's a utility pole only accessible from your yard, that locked gate will make your neighbors angry if it blocks repair access from the utilities and cable folks.

Be sure to ask your ins. co. about fence heights (4 ft. might be deemed inadequate). Also ask the town authorities about zoning.

You violated the terms of this board.

You mentioned wife/girlfriend and failed to provide photos, especially of her in a swimsuit, in order for board members to comment on her hotness.

;)

Thats why i always include photos of old girlfriends in my avatars

what about small children? Yours or guests? A pool alarm might be an investment if you go for a belowground pool

A pool alarm is a must if you have small children. I have a cousin who had a child drown in their pool. Just lost track of him for a few minutes and that's all it took. I can't even begin to imagine dealing with that....

what about small children? Yours or guests? A pool alarm might be an investment if you go for a belowground pool

Aren't they mandatory for new inground pools now? I thought I saw something about that on the news. May want to look into that as well to factor in the cost.

Edit

After a quick search, yep.

http://www.tonawanda-news.com/local/local_..._207130127.html

The New York State Residential Code changed last year and now requires pool alarms for new or substantially modified pools more than 24 inches deep. Above-ground and in-ground pools constructed prior to January 2007 are not required to have pool alarms, but must have adequate barriers or fences around the pool.

A pool alarm is a must if you have small children. I have a cousin who had a child drown in their pool. Just lost track of him for a few minutes and that's all it took. I can't even begin to imagine dealing with that....

horrible. my inlaws have an inground pool with gates and a fence that keep the kids away, and i still get freaked out when i'm sitting there and my 1yr old is playing. too easy for something bad to happen

True the pool "season" here can run from May to October (without a solar blanket or heater - you could probably go year round if you want to mess with these things). Anyway, we have to run the filter and pump system year round and longer during the day in the summer (I was taught at least an hour for every 10 degrees of temp so given that our summers are 90 - 100 that is 10 hours per day for 3+ months).

I am not sure what a liner does for your upkeep and future expenses. I assume it has to be replaced periodically so you should check on that.

I am also not sure with a liner if you can use a "creepy crawly vac." I assume so. Check with your local pool store as these things are not cheap. I am meticulous about maintaining mine so I got five years out of it. Guy at the pool store said usually people only get three. They can run about $500 to -$1,000 depending on brand etc. Depending on the system they may also require an additional pump. Regular maintenance on it probably runs around $50 to $100 per year in parts - hoses valves, etc. (they are pretty simple things but with sun and chlorine parts wear out).

Not sure with the weather in WNY if salt system is an option. People here that have them swear by them. However, when I had the work on my pool done the guy who was responsible for overhauling anything mechanical im my system said that they were a waste of money. He said that while he would make money on the install he would not spend the money if it was his pool. In-line chlorinator which is likely standard on a new system is a different story. Well worth the money.

Good luck.

I take you sell alarms.