The Secondary

Coach55

It has been repeatedly discussed that our secondary is above average in all material respects and that we are especially deep at corner. Everyone has been complaining that if we had a pass rush, that they would make more plays. Has anyone else felt that this really isn't the case and that our coverage has been servicable at best? Starting QB's this preseason have hit 73% of their passes, with all QB's averaging 66% of their passes. We have been particularly bad on 3rd down. I know that improving the pass rush will help these issues, but quite honestly the coverage hasn't been all its cracked up to be.

We could have deion sanders, champ bailey, ronnie lott and ed reed back there and it wouldn't be any better if the QB's have enough time to enjoy a cocktail before the rush hits them.

A better pass rush makes any secondary look that much better. I think we have a decent secondary but they can't cover all day. Speaking of -- has anyone noticed drayton florence in the pre-season. Has he been injured? I thought he was a good signing but now I question if he even makes the team???

It has been repeatedly discussed that our secondary is above average in all material respects and that we are especially deep at corner. Everyone has been complaining that if we had a pass rush, that they would make more plays. Has anyone else felt that this really isn't the case and that our coverage has been servicable at best? Starting QB's this preseason have hit 73% of their passes, with all QB's averaging 66% of their passes. We have been particularly bad on 3rd down. I know that improving the pass rush will help these issues, but quite honestly the coverage hasn't been all its cracked up to be.

The Bills have good cornerbacks, but that's it. The safeties leave much to be desired.

I wonder if Youboty could play safety. The guy is a really good one-on-one tackler. If he could only stay healthy. Really hoping they don't cut him.

Cover 2 = prevent.

1. All DB's at least 10 yards off the LOS? Check.

2. Speedy, lightweight CBs playing the short and mid zones passes, and ready to tackle RBs that have a head of steam? Check.

3. Slower, heavier safeties in place to combat shifty, speedy WRs that have a head of steam? Check.

4. LBs in position to contain and not attack? Check.

Cover 2 = prevent.

2. Speedy, lightweight CBs playing the short and mid zones passes, and ready to tackle RBs that have a head of steam? Check.

3. Slower, heavier safeties in place to combat shifty, speedy WRs that have a head of steam? Check.

5. Nobody available to cover the TE? Check.

Cover 2 = prevent.

You must have missed the requirements part

* Effective Pass Rushing DE's

*playmaking safety

*Effective Pass Rushing DE's

*Lb's who can cover

*oh and did I say Effective Pass Rushing DE's?

Right on Rubes. I swear had there not been bad weather during the Browns game Winslow would of had near 200 yards recieving, he was wide open so often. A LB like Aaron Curry would fit the Bills.........er bill. :ph34r: I know, he went 4th, I'm just saying a guy like that would be a big piece to the puzzle of solving the 3rd and long woes....as for the rest of the secondary, I've never seen so many passes completed into heavy traffic, we have nobody that intimidates whatsoever.

The Bills have good cornerbacks, but that's it. The safeties leave much to be desired.

I wonder if Youboty could play safety. The guy is a really good one-on-one tackler. If he could only stay healthy. Really hoping they don't cut him.

Has he played or practiced at all this year ?

I have been trying to become a better student of the game. If anyone is better versed in the actual X's and O's please help.

It seems to me by design our safeties are rendered nearly useless. The back safety who I will assume is the free safety appears to be so deep that their only value is tackling someone after a 15 yard pickup.

Isn't one of the benefits of the cover 2 that you have safety help deep?

Shouldn't this allow our CB to play tighter or even bump and run coverage on opposing WRs?

Why do I see LBs covering WR's and getting burned on 3rd downs?

By the numbers our defense is respectably ranked in the top half of defenses but it looks like they could be so much better!

+1

The pass rush would help alot, but we need atleast one ball-hawking S back there as well. A guy like a Bob Sanders, Troy Polamalu, Ed Reed, or Michael Griffin. Whitner and Scott are solid against the run and both are decent tacklers, but they are not known for their coverage abilities. Hopefully Byrd is that guy.

We could have deion sanders, champ bailey, ronnie lott and ed reed back there and it wouldn't be any better if the QB's have enough time to enjoy a cocktail before the rush hits them.

A better pass rush makes any secondary look that much better. I think we have a decent secondary but they can't cover all day. Speaking of -- has anyone noticed drayton florence in the pre-season. Has he been injured? I thought he was a good signing but now I question if he even makes the team???

So you're saying that the best DBs in the league are/were only good because they are defending against a QB who is forced to throw poorly because of uniformly intense pass rushing?

Nonsense. While the value of a great pass rush is self evident, these guys were able to cover and make plays--even on perfectly made throws by QBs with great protection. Before the ball's in the air, a great back is in position to make a play on the ball.

No D-line is going to get to the QB everytime he drops back.

No D-line is going to get to the QB everytime he drops back.

No, but you don't have to "get" the qb all of the time to have a good pass rush. You need DEs to pressure the qb, and DTs that can push back blockers and upset the timing of the qb. These things cause interceptions and incompletions, and take pressure off of the dbs.

Now, think of the 08 Bills. We had virtually no pass rush, and dbs playing a mile away from the ball. Couple that with small DEs and DTs getting shoved around and you have yourself a mess.

Can Maybin and the return of Schobel make a difference? It's possible.

Can an improved Poz help to mask our weakness at DT? Probably to some extent.

In all, we are still 3 or 4 big guys short of being a strong, contending team imo, and I sure hope that I am wrong.

No, but you don't have to "get" the qb all of the time to have a good pass rush. You need DEs to pressure the qb, and DTs that can push back blockers and upset the timing of the qb. These things cause interceptions and incompletions, and take pressure off of the dbs.

Now, think of the 08 Bills. We had virtually no pass rush, and dbs playing a mile away from the ball. Couple that with small DEs and DTs getting shoved around and you have yourself a mess.

Can Maybin and the return of Schobel make a difference? It's possible.

Can an improved Poz help to mask our weakness at DT? Probably to some extent.

In all, we are still 3 or 4 big guys short of being a strong, contending team imo, and I sure hope that I am wrong.

I agree with the importance of the pass rush in disrupting the QBs timing. But I would venture that many ints are not due to this. Most are due to poor throws (even with protection), or, more commonly, tight aggressive coverage by the DBs.

Look at the leaders in ints over the past few years--they aren't all on teams with great pass rush or top 5 sack numbers.

DBs don't have to play off WR like they do on the Bills.

I agree with the importance of the pass rush in disrupting the QBs timing. But I would venture that many ints are not due to this. Most are due to poor throws (even with protection), or, more commonly, tight aggressive coverage by the DBs.

Look at the leaders in ints over the past few years--they aren't all on teams with great pass rush or top 5 sack numbers.

DBs don't have to play off WR like they do on the Bills.

It would be very hard to get numbers like these. Also, I think that both of us failed to bring up the question of who is quarterback. For instance, give JP Losman all day to throw and he just might hit Evans with a 60 yard, in stride strike that is a thing of beauty. Pressure him and he will roll right and the play was sure to be a disaster.

Otoh, guys like Brady and Manning are smart and can feel pressure better than others. Then there are those who fall in between.

Either way, count me as one who thinks that games are won up front. The secondary is just that imo.