Cozumel

Chilly

Anyone ever been? We're staying at the adults only sabor section of the all-inclusive wyndham resort. Any suggestions on what we should do?

Thanks.

ummm .... how about eat a lot, drink a lot, get a lot of sun and have a lot of sex?!?

ummm .... how about eat a lot, drink a lot, get a lot of sun and have a lot of sex?!?

Hard to argue with that . . . ;)

but there are a lot of Mayan ruins in the Yucatan. You could check out some historic sites. . . guided tours are all over the place . . . Oh, and swim with the dolphins! We stopped at Cozumel on a cruise a few years back and the dolphin encounter was one of the best experiences of my life!

Hard to argue with that . . . ;)

but there are a lot of Mayan ruins in the Yucatan. You could check out some historic sites. . . guided tours are all over the place . . . Oh, and swim with the dolphins! We stopped at Cozumel on a cruise a few years back and the dpolphin encounter was one of the best experiences of my life!

go ahead, but only if it doesn't interfere with the drinking or the sex. Don't have sex with the dolphin though.

Anyone ever been? We're staying at the adults only sabor section of the all-inclusive wyndham resort. Any suggestions on what we should do?

Thanks.

Was there a couple of months back during a cruise. We did not have enough time to explore but did go to the Mayan ruins at San Gervasio and Paradise beach.

I would have liked to go to the ruins in Tulum for which you have to take a ferry from Playa del Carmen and a bus/taxi from there. Also go to Aktun Chen caverns.

You don't need too many guided tours. You can bargain with and get a cab to take you around. The cab drivers in Cozumel speak English. Also, don't shop in the touristy areas as they gouge you. Find the smaller shops in mid-town and take your time browsing and haggling.

I went a couple years back to Playa del Carmen and rented a jeep and drove down the coast. Some awesome scenery, seclusion once you get a few miles away, and some great snorkeling. The beaches are like something you'd see in a movie (as long as you stay away from Cancun). The beaches on Cozumel were cool, too, but kind of crowded when we were there.

The best day that we had was when we found a great little beach bar, got some food, drank beer all day, and found a local who sold us a joint. We sat on the beach for about 8 hrs and mingled with the locals and just relaxed.

Good advice for traveling in general! Many of the tips would apply to Toronto or New York City, or (fill in the blank). :nana:

We stayed in Playa del Carmen last year and the best time we had was on Cozumel. I would recommend taking the ferry to the mainland and then walking as far away from the touristy pier as possible.

I would rent a car/bike on Cozumel but not on the mainland. When I was there (February '09) driving was not fun on the mainland.

Personally, I love Puerta Vallarta and the west coast better than the small part of the Yucaton I saw. I do have to say the water in Cozumel and Playa del Carmen is the most beautiful I have ever seen - clear when you are in it and extraordinary colors from a distance. This was our 5th vacation in Mexico.

We avoided Cancun. That is not Mexico to me. :sick:

At the all-inclusive, tip the bartenders and hotel staff (maids) well on the first day and they will make your stay more pleasant (drinks ready, rooms clean!).

Do not "talk down"to the locals. There are a lot of wonderful people there, who appreciated courtesy and will open right up to you, if you treat them as the equals they are. Yes, there are scam artists, but most of the people are terrific.

Thanks.

If you go into town a must place to go for lunch/dinner is Guido's.......... awesome food! Service is good and the owners are usually on hand. Italian family that relocated from NYC. We went back for dinner later in the week we were there the food was that good.