Official preseason excuse thread

I was firmly in Trent's corner when he came on to replace JP. He looked so confident, in control, and yes, POISED. It didn't take long for him to earn the reputation of Captain Check down. He never showed the ability to throw a deep ball and trust his receiver to make the catch at a predetermined spot. He still hasn't shown that ability and has actually appeared to regress.

Indeed he has. And that's on the coaching.

We are just not playing very well right now. But I like our guys. They work really hard. Obviously, we have a long way to go.

"Would we have liked to perform better, certainly. We're obviously disappointed in our performance and we'll have to go back and look at the film and learn from our mistakes. We'll have the guys back in on Wednesday and hopefully we'll be able to improve".

So it's Dicks fourth year in charge. He determines the offensive and defensive philosophies. He has had a say in player acquisition. He chose to invest heavily in the backfield as well as in lightweight defensive linemen. The results have been 3 consecutive 7-9 seasons which include going 0-6 in the division and finishing 2-8 in his last campaign. The starting O has managed 0 touchdowns in 4 preseason games.

I want to hear what the happy-go-lucky, overly optimistic, rose colored glasses wearing, complete homer crowd has to say at this point about Dick Jauron and this football team. I've heard some of the favorites already so I'll get the ball rolling....

- It's just preseason.

- The Steelers won the Super Bowl, you can't expect us to compete with them.

- They game planned against us.

- The Bills are keeping their superpowers hidden until the Monday night opener.

- I love the this old standby - "If you don't like it, then find another team to follow".

All right, I don't want to use them all up but I seriously think that you would have to be mentally retarded to think that this team has any chance of success in the regular season. But I know that some of you view the freight train headed your way as the light at the end of the tunnel, so I would like to hear what you have to say.

How about its pre-season and it doesn't count. Now I am not one to say they will make the playoffs but to say 0-16 based off of pre-season is exactly the opposite extreme to go to. I mean they start 0-0 pre-season doesn't count

Obviously the Steelers gameplanned this one. Just like last when the Pack gameplanned that one last week.

Jesus God, we are awful.

On the Steelers post game show they said they did not game plan for this game.Rostisburger and Farrior mentioned that.Makes you wonder how bad this team really is.Maybe they should have had 2 aday practices in pads like 31 other teams in the league.Jauron is a joke and needs to resign. :thumbsup:

Trent has sucked with TO out of the lineup. He sucked with Reed out of the lineup last year.

He looked absolutely miserable out there.

No coach could win a game with a QB playing as chicken sh-t as Trent did tonight.

You've watched the games as I have and I don't know if you've seen any throws I could've made down the field. If you want to call the plays and throw the ball down field, that's fine but I'm taking what the defense is giving me, continuing to go through my reads and that's the way I'm coached. We have coaches that are paid a lot of money to coach me that way and that's the plays that are being made and that's what I need to do and not get outside of it.

Linky

On the Steelers post game show they said they did not game plan for this game.Rostisburger and Farrior mentioned that.Makes you wonder how bad this team really is.Maybe they should have had 2 aday practices in pads like 31 other teams in the league.Jauron is a joke and needs to resign. ;)

Please tell me who on the Bills any opponent needs to game plan for. :thumbsup:

Come on homers, step on up, I know who you are, don't make me call you out by name. Step on up and explain this one away.

Yeah, you are so right. The sky is falling! We will be longing for when JP fumbled us to 7-9 seasons and Mike Gandy was our LT.

And all will be lost when we drop that opener in New England because without beating New England on the road we have no shot in our other fifteen games.

And if you can't win in Pittsburgh in preseason you have no chance for anything good to happen all year!

Okay, whoa, I had sarcasm lock on...just fixed it.

1) We are not a great team and will not be a great team this year. Winning the Super Bowl is really really unlikely this season, but clawing and scraping and hoping to get back to the playoffs and build on something instead of a 7-9 season seems pretty good to me right now. We should be heavy underdogs for every road game against an elite team, and if we rolled into Pittsburgh and took it to them and came away with a first half victory (the final score doesn't matter so much) it would be a shocker. Easier matchups than tonight: Weeks 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17. That's good, because we are not going to be better than the best teams this year, and beating them will take some luck and good bounces.

2) Our O-Line is going to be a work in progress. I have said from the start that Walker is the weak link, and we should be hoping/praying for not-so-bad to pretty-good from him. I would love to see Bell slide in, but I don't see the coaches having the balls without injury. However, I would have every reason to expect a constant progression from our line as they come together, as Butler gets back to his old tricks, as the rookie guards get their feet under them, and as the team learns how much they might have to help Walker to keep him from hurting us. I expect better out of week 10 than week 3, and I sure as hell expect better as the season progresses than a practice game in August.

3) We need TO. We know this. We need his ability to get open, to make catches, but also to draw attention. Roscoe and Reed aren't real #2s and Lee has his problems as the #1. Trent is in a funk of not taking a shot downfield, and I think that is a problem I really would have liked him to get out of this week even if there were middle/deep interceptions in the process. But when TO is back things are different.

4) Our D held the champs to one first half touchdown and came within inches of breaking up a number of the Hines Ward catches. I think those inches are likely made up against more middle of the pack opponents.

5) To paraphrase Allan Iverson, we're talking about pre-season (repeat until you think it is funny). I would love to see things clicking, to see Trent go 10 for 10, most importantly to get the ball in the end zone, but preseason play is a TERRIBLE predictor of success. I am not worried about the big numbers, the QB ratings, the points or victories. I _am_ however concerned with failures on individual plays and our execution.

6) A good thing is that we have a couple more weeks before it counts, since we have a week 1 bye. (Sorry to get down on that game guys, but it is one we would need a last minute acquisition of Lawyer Milloy to compete, and is one that is most likely an L in the breakdown of a 6-10 season and most likely an L in the breakdown of a 11-5 season). We need to work out a lot of this crap before September 20th, because that is a game penciled in as a W in both 6-10 projections and 11-5 projections.

7) Dick is still not a great head coach, will never be, and gravitates towards safe results, which is only good when you are better than your opponents (like in his 13-3 season). The bad news is I think we have a good chance of being a lot better than people feel around here right now, and that means he keeps his job and another year at least.

Go Bills!