Bill Gates Applies For Patent Which Would Be A System

Steely Dan

Linkage

CNN) -- Hurricane experts are throwing cold water on an idea backed by billionaire Microsoft founder Bill Gates aimed at controlling the weather.

Gates and a dozen other scientists have raised eyebrows by submitting patent applications for a technology to reduce the danger of approaching hurricanes by cooling ocean temperatures.

It's a noble idea, given the horrible memories from Hurricane Katrina, which slammed into the Gulf Coast four years ago this week.

The storm, which rated a frightening Category 3 when it made landfall in Louisiana, was blamed for $81 billion in damaged and destroyed property and the deaths of more than 1,800 men, women and children.

Skeptics applaud the motive of the concept but question its feasibility.

I should patent my idea for dealing with hurricanes. I've noticed that water swirls around my sink while draining and that if I put my finger in the center it greatly impedes it's swirling. So my idea is to build a huge finger that can orbit in space and then be deployed when necessary. I rule!

Without clicking the link....

Have the Hurricane install Vista?

I can see it now. Hurricane Katrina has just been upgraded to a Category 3 Hurricane. Oh, wait whats that? Nevermind, Katrina just BSoD with stop code IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Wow! You discerned all of that without reading the article. You hit the nail on the head. Amazing, you should be a psychotic. Oh wait, I think you already are.

Just another way man would :rolleyes: with Mother nature and likely lose in the long run. How about building less in coastal areas prone to hurricanes? Then those that elect to do so should be left on their own and not be saved by a government bailout. Sorry but you play against the odds you will lose at some point.

The arrogance of man, gotta love it. When will we realize that we don't control the world, it controls us?

Wouldn't cooling the oceans enough to downgrade a hurricane cause environmental damage?

I think kegtapr hit the nail on the head in his post above. :)

That's why my giant finger idea is so great. It doesn't cool the oceans and whatnot. :lol: Just as a reminder. I rule!

Linkage

CNN) -- Hurricane experts are throwing cold water on an idea backed by billionaire Microsoft founder Bill Gates aimed at controlling the weather.

Gates and a dozen other scientists have raised eyebrows by submitting patent applications for a technology to reduce the danger of approaching hurricanes by cooling ocean temperatures.

It's a noble idea, given the horrible memories from Hurricane Katrina, which slammed into the Gulf Coast four years ago this week.

The storm, which rated a frightening Category 3 when it made landfall in Louisiana, was blamed for $81 billion in damaged and destroyed property and the deaths of more than 1,800 men, women and children.

Skeptics applaud the motive of the concept but question its feasibility.

I should patent my idea for dealing with hurricanes. I've noticed that water swirls around my sink while draining and that if I put my finger in the center it greatly impedes it's swirling. So my idea is to build a huge finger that can orbit in space and then be deployed when necessary. I rule!

Why doesn't he concentrate first on writing one piece of software that doesn't suck?!?

Yup, lets attempt to cool down a few hundred thousand square miles of ocean/gulf in a couple of days. Tell me how that works out. Never mind the fact that you'd probably cause a complete collapse of the oceanic ecosystem by pumping all of that cold water to the surface.

This idea would be like dick jauron and the Bills all of a sudden deciding that the way to make the offense more effective would be to install the no-huddle. oh wait :)

So he reverse engineered Cheney's weather machine?

That would be an interesting patent fight.

Oh man...talk about a battle of superpowers. Superhero Gates valiantly defending black populations against hurricanes sent by evil arch-enemy Cheney!

Laugh as you will... I always thought about this for some time... Hurricanes are like sitting ducks out there... Just find some way to break them apart... You see what orograghy does to the storms... Look how the mts in Taiwan break typhoons... Even super typhoons apart.

I look at it like this... If they can seed a cloud, they can weaken a hurricane/tropical cyclone/typhoon.

Actually speaking about typhoons... They should go practice out in the pacific... Don't they happen all the time there?

Laugh as you will... I always thought about this for some time... Hurricanes are like sitting ducks out there... Just find some way to break them apart... You see what orograghy does to the storms... Look how the mts in Taiwan break typhoons... Even super typhoons apart.

I look at it like this... If they can seed a cloud, they can weaken a hurricane/tropical cyclone/typhoon.

Actually speaking about typhoons... They should go practice out in the pacific... Don't they happen all the time there?

Can they isn't the question. It's should they. And for that I vote with a unequivocal no. Don't try to alter mother nature, you will lose.