The elephant in the room - The O Line

It is apparent from the preseason games so far the Bills have a long way to go before the talent adn chemistry needed for consistent 0-line play is achieved to be a playoff contender. Yes there appears to be some talent there. But with two rookies and others playing out of the usual spots, I don't see how the Bills even come close to 8-8 this year.

The D-line is still struggling and both have been neglected or mismanaged the last 10 years. We have all seen teams succeed with superior lines and mediocre skill talent, but rarely the other way around.

I am surprised that there has not been more discussion on this board, more crap given the DJ and the front office for their lack of continuity and busts and for their priority placed on anywhere but the O-line and to a lesser extent the D-Line. Party of me hopes that the Bills suck this year so that they can draft well at these positions, but I am not counting on their ability to intelligently draft.

So who in the college ranks or prospective free agents next year would you recommend the Bills going after?

The o-line is the wild card for this team. We see some indication that they will be okay, but other indications (low scoring, perhaps the reason for TE being unwilling to go deep?) are that we are not. DJ's job and our season depend on the o-line putting it together.

This O-line will not be ready until the end of this season. After the season we will replace the LT, RT, RG and center for next year by moving Wood to center, Butler back to RG, we will draft a LT with our 5th pick of the draft, and insert Bell at RT. Only Levitre will be starting in 2010 where he started in 2009. Our 2010 line will gel by the end of the 2010 season. After that season ............

This O-line will not be ready until the end of this season. After the season we will replace the LT, RT, RG and center for next year by moving Wood to center, Butler back to RG, we will draft a LT with our 5th pick of the draft, and insert Bell at RT. Only Levitre will be starting in 2010 where he started in 2009. Our 2010 line will gel by the end of the 2010 season. After that season ............

:lol: Sounds like a plan. Let's hope the Bills have one.

It is apparent from the preseason games so far the Bills have a long way to go before the talent adn chemistry needed for consistent 0-line play is achieved to be a playoff contender. Yes there appears to be some talent there. But with two rookies and others playing out of the usual spots, I don't see how the Bills even come close to 8-8 this year.

The D-line is still struggling and both have been neglected or mismanaged the last 10 years. We have all seen teams succeed with superior lines and mediocre skill talent, but rarely the other way around.

I am surprised that there has not been more discussion on this board, more crap given the DJ and the front office for their lack of continuity and busts and for their priority placed on anywhere but the O-line and to a lesser extent the D-Line. Party of me hopes that the Bills suck this year so that they can draft well at these positions, but I am not counting on their ability to intelligently draft.

So who in the college ranks or prospective free agents next year would you recommend the Bills going after?

Maybe you're reading the wrong board?

...with two rookies and others playing out of the usual spots, I don't see how the Bills even come close to 8-8 this year.

8-8? I think we have firmly established that the high expectation for any Dick Jauron coached team is 7-9.

well we went 7-9 without one last year. I guess I think we do have an o-line. Screens, draws and even runs to the outside weren't an option last year because our interior line was so immobile. The Pats won 10 games last year basically only running screens, draws, quick slants and the occasional out pattern to Moss. We ran basically none of those plays last year. Cassel was also the most sacked qb in the league.

My concern lies more with our ability to gameplan, especially on offense. It was an act of mercy that Turk didn't get fired for his performance last year and his inability to adapt as defenses caught on. This year they say things should be different, but we'll see. At least now he will be able to call basic pro level offensive plays.

Last season, we didn't have an interior line, but our tackles were decent. This season should be the opposite. The lack of an offensive line will condemn an otherwise mildly promising offensive unit to mediocrity at best. If the Bills can add a quality LT in the offseason (ideally with their first round draft pick), then next year's squad could be a lot better.

:wallbash:

Maybe I should re-phrase, the O-line as a topic the last couple of weeks has not been seen often on this board. I would expect it to be raised every day since that is the number one problem with this team IMO. ?Why didn't the Bills go after a left tackle??? Why are they starting two rookies??? Why did they draft so many DBs and then not resign them when they proved themselves, leaving draft picks for the O-line???

I remember a lot of the great teams such as the Steelers and Hogs, Redskins and Raiders were built with #1 draft picks. Heck, none of the Redskin Superbowl teams had good quarterbacks and yet they won by not screwing up and by have great O and D lines. The Bills Superbowl years had some great O-linemen.

Why did it take so long for them to focus on the O-line? What now we have wait another 3 years before they can get this one to jell. Back to watching the Sabres struggle and DR not finding a decent playmaking free agent center.

Maybe I should re-phrase, the O-line as a topic the last couple of weeks has not been seen often on this board. I would expect it to be raised every day since that is the number one problem with this team IMO. ?Why didn't the Bills go after a left tackle??? Why are they starting two rookies??? Why did they draft so many DBs and then not resign them when they proved themselves, leaving draft picks for the O-line???

You seriously don't think these things have been discussed over and over and over again? Its been rehashed so many times I wanna vomit. I don't know where you've been.

Consider that a marketing guy is running the show for the Bills. Then put on your Bills marketing hat and ask yourself, "What is going to cause more people to run out and buy season tickets, signing a flash skill player who gets lots of press like T.O., or a stud lineman?"

And it worked, season ticket sales shot up after the T.O. signing. Over 55K season ticket sales two years in a row which has never happened before in franchise history, not even when the Bills were a fixture at the superbowl. And happening when the Bills haven't even sniffed the playoffs, much less the superbowl, this century.