Five Must Haves For A Sports Bar

Dante

Having not lived in WNY for nearly 30 years I've spent many a Sunday in sports bars. Well lately at least the first few weeks of the season anyway. I belonged to the Orange county Bills backers club many years ago and we used to take over a bar in Buena Park/Huntiington Beach area. Here are what we and and should be required for all sports bars.

1. Each big screen...and I mean BIG dedictated to the Bills and only the Bills.

2. Fans of other teams need to relegated to some other room, preferrably by putting a TV for them in the smellier of the restrooms.

3. The ability to crank "Shout!" through the sound system whenever the Bills score.

4. Allow WNY natives to tend bar even if they're not an employee of the restaurant.

5. Open the doors at 9:00am so we get a good hour of booze in before the game starts.

6. Use a recipe for your wings (at least for game day) that you got from someone who is from WNY and knows the authentic process...ME!

7. Belly bumpers to slam dance one time for each point the bills have after they score (loved those 35 point days)

8. Cabs on call for the ride home

9. And finally if your coctail waitresses don't know where Buffalo is, I don't care how big their hooters are, give them Sundays off.

yeah...i didnt get the whole wifi thing...i guess its so people can stay logged into see their fantasy status rather than watch the games

I kinda get though. Once your game is done or your team doesn't play until later you still can have fun following your team. It's not like you spend the entire time looking at your phone. Just to check points. Nice feature to have for those who want it.

Having not lived in WNY for nearly 30 years I've spent many a Sunday in sports bars. Well lately at least the first few weeks of the season anyway. I belonged to the Orange county Bills backers club many years ago and we used to take over a bar in Buena Park/Huntiington Beach area. Here are what we and and should be required for all sports bars.

1. Each big screen...and I mean BIG dedictated to the Bills and only the Bills.

2. Fans of other teams need to relegated to some other room, preferrably by putting a TV for them in the smellier of the restrooms.

3. The ability to crank "Shout!" through the sound system whenever the Bills score.

4. Allow WNY natives to tend bar even if they're not an employee of the restaurant.

5. Open the doors at 9:00am so we get a good hour of booze in before the game starts.

6. Use a recipe for your wings (at least for game day) that you got from someone who is from WNY and knows the authentic process...ME!

7. Belly bumpers to slam dance one time for each point the bills have after they score (loved those 35 point days)

8. Cabs on call for the ride home

9. And finally if your coctail waitresses don't know where Buffalo is, I don't care how big their hooters are, give them Sundays off.

:wallbash::unsure::lol: However on point 9 hooters can make up for many other faults :lol::w00t:

yeah...i didnt get the whole wifi thing...i guess its so people can stay logged into see their fantasy status rather than watch the games

Same here. I've never seen someone in a bar on a football Sunday with a laptop. Hope I never do.

#1 is unbelievably annoying and I have seen it more times than I can count. And not only are the bartenders/waitresses invariably clueless about what the clientele is there to watch, but for some reason, 80% of the time they have no f---ing idea what channel the game is on. Hello? It's CBS or Fox! It's not like we're asking you to find the Romanian soccer game. :rolleyes:

Also agree on drink specials, although that shouldn't even be necessary. If you are sitting at a bar drinking for 3-4 hours and don't get at least a couple of free beers, it's not a place you should ever return.

As for kids? Eh...same rules apply as in any other situation. Kids are fine as long as they are under control by the parents and not running wild. And yes, in a bar they should expect to hear lots of four letter words. Especially if the Bills are on.

Same here. I've never seen someone in a bar on a football Sunday with a laptop. Hope I never do.

#1 is unbelievably annoying and I have seen it more times than I can count. And not only are the bartenders/waitresses invariably clueless about what the clientele is there to watch, but for some reason, 80% of the time they have no f---ing idea what channel the game is on. Hello? It's CBS or Fox! It's not like we're asking you to find the Romanian soccer game. :rolleyes:

Also agree on drink specials, although that shouldn't even be necessary. If you are sitting at a bar drinking for 3-4 hours and don't get at least a couple of free beers, it's not a place you should ever return.

As for kids? Eh...same rules apply as in any other situation. Kids are fine as long as they are under control by the parents and not running wild. And yes, in a bar they should expect to hear lots of four letter words. Especially if the Bills are on.

The bars I've been to here in CA have all the TVs labeled way in advance. I remember though one year the local Bills Backers were at the bar (a new choice for that year) to watch game one of the new season. 9:50am....nothing. 9:55am......nothing. 10:00am....nothing. 10:10am, 10:15am....nothing. We all bailed to find a place that had it. The owner of that place looked scared shiitless and he had every reason to be. Don't !@#$ with Bills fans at 10:00am week one.

Depends on the bar, most places that can get the bartender fired.

As to kids, I worked this one bar that was decidedly a bar. A chain called Hueys in the Memphis area. Well, lots liked to bring their kids in after a softball game or whatnot. The kids could be amused by trying to shoot frill pcks with a straw into the ceiling (and at each other). The parents would drink beer and sneak to the bar for a shot. No big deal, the regulars would tolerate it as they knew the little ones would move on.

However, enter the Dizzy Dean World series which was like 2 miles from the Hueys I worked at. The place would be packed with several teams at a pop with all their families. It drove the regulars out for that week and more. Many would not come back for ages. So we were told to try and rein in the kids. When the manager left, the bartender (me) was in charge. So we get two teams in one night and the kids are running all over the place looking for the "playground" no doubt. There is a crowd of about 12 at the front door alone making it almost impossible for new people to come in. I approach the table those kids are from and ask who is in charge of the group. Everyone points to this one lady so I approach her and say, "Hi, we are glad you decided to come in tonight. However, your children are running around and disturbing the other customers (we never said guests and it was frowned on actually). They are also blocking the door and making it hard for new customers to come in. I would appreciate it if you could have them return to their seats." She stammered out something to the effect that she would see what she could do.

About 5 minutes later (kids still treating the place like a playground) the waitress comes up to me and said that the woman said, "You tell that bartender that I can't control these kids and if he can, I will suck his big toe."

Now besides the bizarreness of admitting the parents have no control over the kids, she brings toe sucking into it? At least it wasn't at the end of my shift... :rolleyes:

So I approach the group of kids at the front door and say, "You kids can't be up here. You need to return to your seats and wait on your meal." Oddly, they all did. I waited till they were all at the table and walked by winking at the woman. I wanted to pull up a chair, take off my sock and shoe and say, "Your turn."