Car experts

Richmond_Bills

On the way in to one of my clients this a.m., my 03 Ford Escape lost power while driving and luckily I was able to coast into a mechanic's parking lot. Then tried to start it and heard that awful clicking noise. Told the mechanic and he said he would look at it. I'm waiting to hear from him.

I called my regular mechanic and he said it definitely sounds like a bad alternator and that has drained the battery. I don't know Jack Shiite about cars, so I just wanted opinions. Thanks...RB

It's the alternator without a doubt. Had it happen to a few of POS cars I owned in my late teens, early 20s. THere's really no preventive maintenance for it, parts wear out. You can probably get a rebuilt one. I've actually installed one myself, but if you really have no experience with mechanical issues, just let the professionals handle it.

find a neighbor that knows how...its not hard for anyone that knows how to do it....if you want a good place...firestone on hugeunot is a place that i have grown to trust...get it towed there and they will take good care of you

On the way in to one of my clients this a.m., my 03 Ford Escape lost power while driving and luckily I was able to coast into a mechanic's parking lot. Then tried to start it and heard that awful clicking noise. Told the mechanic and he said he would look at it. I'm waiting to hear from him.

I called my regular mechanic and he said it definitely sounds like a bad alternator and that has drained the battery. I don't know Jack Shiite about cars, so I just wanted opinions. Thanks...RB

It's the alternator without a doubt. Had it happen to a few of POS cars I owned in my late teens, early 20s. THere's really no preventive maintenance for it, parts wear out. You can probably get a rebuilt one. I've actually installed one myself, but if you really have no experience with mechanical issues, just let the professionals handle it.

They'll need to look at serpentine belt condition, any idler/tension wheel along the belt drive path, and batt. cable condition, too.

I'd opine that the battery may now be shot and need of replacement.

Put a volt meter across the battery terminals.....should read around 12 volts DC. If not, battery is either bad or drained.

Then....

Jump it and get it started. Put volt meter across battery terminals.....should read around 14 volts DC. If not, alternator is bad. If it reads 14 volts DC, the alternator is okay and (most likely) the battery is not charging up and is bad.

Good luck.

BTW....bring the battery into an auto parts store & most will check it for free. Plus it is a LOT less expensive to bring it in & replace it yourself.

I have heard that people who own the 03 Escape have had a great deal of success by junking it and buying a 2003 BMW convertible. If you want to that route, give me a call, I happen to be selling one at this very moment. :wallbash:

Wish I could help, I know as much as you bout cars. If you happen to live in the West End, I have always used Cabin Creek Auto near Gayton and John Rolfe. Tell Bubba Lenzy sent you, he is as honest as the day is long. BTW, he was in the paper last Saturday with 650LB Marlin.

I have heard that people who own the 03 Escape have had a great deal of success by junking it and buying a 2003 BMW convertible. If you want to that route, give me a call, I happen to be selling one at this very moment. :lol:

Wish I could help, I know as much as you bout cars. If you happen to live in the West End, I have always used Cabin Creek Auto near Gayton and John Rolfe. Tell Bubba Lenzy sent you, he is as honest as the day is long. BTW, he was in the paper last Saturday with 650LB Marlin.

Thanks to all. It was the alternator - $300. Beats the hell out of a car payment!