Enough Talk of Preparing for the 3-4

K-9

Lost in all this talk about how our offense is at a disadvantage because we never practice against a 3-4 look is the total disregard for how our braintrust prepares the D for the various offenses they'll see. How do the Bills prepare for the Pats'* spread offense run out of the shotgun? Who simulates Moss, Welker, and Brady? Seems our D gets blown out more by their offense than our offense gets blown out by their defense and that always leads to playing from behind which always leads to looking like crap against those NE* defenses.

I demand equal investigation as to how our coaches prepare our defenses for who they're gonna see.

C'mon geniuses. Tell me how they do it.

GO BILLS!!!

They can't simulate Brady-to-Moss any more than they can simulate Ray Lewis and Terrell Suggs, because those players aren't on the Bills' roster.

However, they CAN set up a scout-team D to give Edwards a full-speed look at what happens when 3-4 LBs drop into coverage. So far during training camp, they have apparently chosen not to, instead doing the entirety of their work against that formation during walkthroughs ... with Chuck freaking Lester lined up at safety.

And if the Bills D had been blown out more often than their O, they probably wouldn't have ended up ranked 14th in both points and yardage allowed last season. Not great, but certainly nowhere near the offense's ... offensiveness. Just sayin'.

They can't simulate Brady-to-Moss any more than they can simulate Ray Lewis and Terrell Suggs, because those players aren't on the Bills' roster.

However, they CAN set up a scout-team D to give Edwards a full-speed look at what happens when 3-4 LBs drop into coverage. So far during training camp, they have apparently chosen not to, instead doing the entirety of their work against that formation during walkthroughs ... with Chuck freaking Lester lined up at safety.

And if the Bills D had been blown out more often than their O, they probably wouldn't have ended up ranked 14th in both points and yardage allowed last season. Not great, but certainly nowhere near the offense's ... offensiveness. Just sayin'.

I'm speaking specifically of what happens when we play the Pats*, Captain Stats. That's the new moniker I gave you in the "Tribute to Lori That Turned Into a Bust Beerball's Balls" thread on the OTW board, BTW. Agree entirely with you with regard to our D.

We always seem to get way behind against the Cheats* and then they just T-off on our O at will. And then Bellyache gets all this credit for being a genius but it's really just SO much easier to play D with big leads and well...

Now I'm sick.

GO BILLS!!!

Lost in all this talk about how our offense is at a disadvantage because we never practice against a 3-4 look is the total disregard for how our braintrust prepares the D for the various offenses they'll see. How do the Bills prepare for the Pats'* spread offense run out of the shotgun? Who simulates Moss, Welker, and Brady? Seems our D gets blown out more by their offense than our offense gets blown out by their defense and that always leads to playing from behind which always leads to looking like crap against those NE* defenses.

I demand equal investigation as to how our coaches prepare our defenses for who they're gonna see.

C'mon geniuses. Tell me how they do it.

GO BILLS!!!

It is called practice. The Bills have scout teams during the season. What is wrong with using the concept during camp once and a while?

The D actually held its own against teh Cassel version of the Pats last year. In two games, the offense combined for a grand total of ten points, with the lone TD on a one-play, 14-yard drive with the score 20-3 NE and less than 2:00 left in the game.

Okay, now I'M sick.

It is called practice. The Bills have scout teams during the season. What is wrong with using the concept during camp once and a while?

Nothing's wrong with it, per se. What's wrong with running the scout team's OFFENSE in camp?

But while nothing is wrong with it technically, training camp is designed for a completely different purpose than the practice time alloted in the regular season. Player evaluations, scheme implentations, etc. Things you can't spend much time on during the regular season when all your time is spent preparing for specific opponents.

Has anybody asked the Bills coaches the direct question, "Why don't you run scout team 3-4s for the offense to practice against in training camp?" I honestly don't know if the question has been asked directly. If so, I'd like a link to what the coaches' responses were. I know there's a lot of hype in the media about our dismal record against 3-4 teams last year and certainly a lot of angst around here. I'm just not sure there weren't a lot of other reasons we played poorly against those teams than simply because they lined up in a certain front seven alignment.

GO BILLS!!!