Why this preseason matters - not the final scores -

Just to disarm all those who will have an initial reaction you are absolutely correct that if the Bills lose a preseason game it really does not matter. To me what does is what is happening inside of the games. I am guilty of reposting some of my own words from another thread but I feel very strongly about this issue.

The excuse of "this is only preseason" is acceptable coming from a winning veteran team or a younger one that has established the ability to win. The current Bills are neither. The outcome on the scoreboard in preseason games does not matter. The ability to execute plays, development of team presence and creation of a winning attitude, or in the case of the Bills the lack of all these things, does matter.

It also matters that the organization shows its highly supportive fan base that change really is on the horizon. We have had to tolerate the insult of nine years of mediocre teams. We also have lasted through the joke of retaining a coach and his staff that everyone around the league knows should be gone. We endure the insult of making one of our "home" games an "away" game. This is all rewarded with lackluster play, failure to execute and lack of results on the field from our starting units. Yet, we the fans have rallied by buying nearly a record number of preseason tickets as we support a larger belief in what the Bills can be.

Perhaps things will change in September and the Bills will learn how to win. The history shown in the Jauron years strongly suggests otherwise. I have hope for the Bills as an organization and I remain a fan that will endure what may be another losing season. However, my respect for the current coaching staff and roster is eroding by the minute as I see what is happening on the field in these "meaningless" games. Let's see what happens when the games count.

What are your thoughts?

I could care less if the Bills lose all of their preseason games, they are meaningless. Yet I agree with you that what goes on during the games is what's important. I think it is important to look at the preseason as a whole and not just one game, because your starters see limited playing time.

I think many fans overreacted to the Packers game, yes the starters played badly, but you can't let that game alone be the primer for the regular season. I am very upset that the starting offense has not scored a TD, still I think Edwards is playing good in the no-huddle scheme. The O-Line has looked decent, but also atrocious. That does'nt surprise me. We have 3 new O-Lineman on the team, two of them rookies, and two other players in different positions. There is no way that we could possibly expect our O-Line to look like world beaters right away.

It does hurt that Owens is not playing, but I do'nt want that to be an excuse. It is imperative that the offensive starters score a TD against Pittsburgh. It would boost a lot of players and fans morale.

The defense is still a big concern to me. Mainly because of the lack of QB pressure. I hope that Maybin can add something to that department.

Still there are players who are not starting that have made good strides:

Jonathan Stupar- How does this guy not get a roster spot?

Nic Harris- Plays with a great intensity and is learning quickly.

Ellis Lankster- Has made mistakes, but he's also making plays. Can't wait to see him as the season progresses.

Xavier Omon- We need 3 RB's while Lynch is on suspension. Omon is showing he can play.

Demetrius Bell- Still on the learning curve, but I wo'nt be surprised if he's starting sooner than we think.

Steve Johnson- Has'nt played much, but looks more refined. He'll be a factor this year.

Copeland Bryan- Wow. I thought he would be an afterthought, but is there any reason why he can't replace Denney or Kelsay?

Chris Ellis- Let's not forget this guy too. Coming along slowly, but showing signs of breaking out.

Brandon Rodd- Has anyone been paying attention to our back-up Center? He's been doing quite good.

Finally, I agree with you about our coaching staff, especially pertaining to the offense. What real changes are they bringing to this team? Is Jauron & Schonert really keeping everything under wraps and not showing their hand in the preseason and just using a vanilla offense? If they are, how long can they keep it going? They have got to show everyone that there is a reason to be excited this year. So far they have done little to do that.

I am very optimistic about this season. There is talent on this team. Now can this team get back to being a winner?

I could care less if the Bills lose all of their preseason games, they are meaningless. Yet I agree with you that what goes on during the games is what's important. I think it is important to look at the preseason as a whole and not just one game, because your starters see limited playing time.

I think many fans overreacted to the Packers game, yes the starters played badly, but you can't let that game alone be the primer for the regular season. I am very upset that the starting offense has not scored a TD, still I think Edwards is playing good in the no-huddle scheme. The O-Line has looked decent, but also atrocious. That does'nt surprise me. We have 3 new O-Lineman on the team, two of them rookies, and two other players in different positions. There is no way that we could possibly expect our O-Line to look like world beaters right away.

It does hurt that Owens is not playing, but I do'nt want that to be an excuse. It is imperative that the offensive starters score a TD against Pittsburgh. It would boost a lot of players and fans morale.

The defense is still a big concern to me. Mainly because of the lack of QB pressure. I hope that Maybin can add something to that department.

Still there are players who are not starting that have made good strides:

Jonathan Stupar- How does this guy not get a roster spot?

Nic Harris- Plays with a great intensity and is learning quickly.

Ellis Lankster- Has made mistakes, but he's also making plays. Can't wait to see him as the season progresses.

Xavier Omon- We need 3 RB's while Lynch is on suspension. Omon is showing he can play.

Demetrius Bell- Still on the learning curve, but I wo'nt be surprised if he's starting sooner than we think.

Steve Johnson- Has'nt played much, but looks more refined. He'll be a factor this year.

Copeland Bryan- Wow. I thought he would be an afterthought, but is there any reason why he can't replace Denney or Kelsay?

Chris Ellis- Let's not forget this guy too. Coming along slowly, but showing signs of breaking out.

Brandon Rodd- Has anyone been paying attention to our back-up Center? He's been doing quite good.

Finally, I agree with you about our coaching staff, especially pertaining to the offense. What real changes are they bringing to this team? Is Jauron & Schonert really keeping everything under wraps and not showing their hand in the preseason and just using a vanilla offense? If they are, how long can they keep it going? They have got to show everyone that there is a reason to be excited this year. So far they have done little to do that.

I am very optimistic about this season. There is talent on this team. Now can this team get back to being a winner?

Thanks for the thoughtful and well written response. Let's hope the answer to your final question is "yes."

The disturbing thing is how the Bills starters have been dominated by the opponents starters in preseason, both offense and defense.

Correct. The score of the preseason games doesn't matter, what matters is how the 1st teams do against each other. And in the Bills case, they've been taken to school. I expect it to continue in Pittsburgh.