Dick LeBeau named Seniors candidate for HOF

Lori

http://www.profootballhof.com/enshrinement...enior-nominees/

Cornerback Dick LeBeau and running back Floyd Little have been named by the Pro Football Hall of Fame’s Seniors Committee as finalists for election into the Hall of Fame with the Class of 2010.

LeBeau and Little will join 15 still-to-be-named modern-era candidates on the list of finalists from which the Class of 2010 will be selected. The Hall of Fame selection meeting will be held on February 6, 2010, the day before Super Bowl XLIV in South Florida. To be elected, the former standouts must each receive the same 80 percent voting support that is required of all finalists. The Hall’s Board of Selectors can elect a maximum of two senior candidates and five modern-era candidates for a class no smaller than four or larger than seven during next February’s meeting.

------

LeBeau was originally drafted by the Cleveland Browns in the fifth round of the 1959 draft. After being cut by the Browns, he was signed by Detroit where he starred for 14 seasons at cornerback for the Lions. He intercepted 62 passes which he returned for 762 yards and 3 TDs. His interception total ranked third all-time in NFL history at the time of his retirement following the 1972 season. Today, it remains a Lions team record and is tied for 7th among all-time NFL interceptors.

His single finest season came in 1970 when he intercepted a NFC-leading nine interceptions for 96 yards. LeBeau currently serves as the Pittsburgh Steelers defensive coordinator and is entering his 37th year of coaching. As a player he was voted to three Pro Bowls. He received his Pro Bowl nods in 1965, 1966, and 1967.

Yes. LONG overdue.

I'm with the side that thinks coordinators should be given a stronger look for HOF status. Not all of them, but there have been some true game changers. In recent memory (so to not exclude any of the real good 60s/70s/80s coordinators i may not be familiar with), i'd suggest guys like LeBeau, Monte Kiffin, and the late Jim Johnson should all be under consideration for what they've introduced on the defensive side of the ball.

Interestingly, if he doesn't get in as a seniors candidate now he will or should get in on the regular ballot after he retires from coaching for his dual careers in the NFL (outstanding player and DC).

People generally don't have their playing careers and coaching careers considered 2x by the HOF, right? You are in or you aren't, you aren't voted on as a player and then as a coach? So shouldn't he have to retire completely before becoming eligible?

The only restriction is that a player and coach must have been retired at least five years before he can be considered.
HOF FAQs

Either way--or both ways--he deserves it.

kj

Although I'd argue that his contributions to the game as a coordinator should have an impact on his candidacy, I believe the Seniors Committee judged only his playing career.