No-huddle = no TDs by starters in first three games

Lori

Bills no-huddle attack also producing no TDs

By John Wawrow

The Associated Press

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. (AP) — Trent Edwards and the Buffalo Bills no-huddle offense is suddenly better known as the no-touchdown attack. And no T.O. either.

With Terrell Owens still out nursing a sprained toe and the Bills starters scoring a mere 3 points in three games this preseason, questions already are being raised regarding Edwards' effectiveness and whether the new offense will be ready for the start of the regular season in three weeks.

"When it starts for real, we're going to have to be very good," coach Dick Jauron said Monday. "So we've got a long way to go."

Yikes. Some ugly statistics in that story, Mr. Wawrow -- although, as you noted, "having Owens on the field would help."

This quote bugged me a little, though: "Added receiver Josh Reed: 'That's not the Buffalo Bills. That's not what we want to be known as.'"

That's not the Bills? The offense that improved to 25th in yardage and 23rd in scoring last season, from 30th in both categories the year before? And on that third-and-goal handoff vs. Chicago to set up the FG, I could have sworn that it looked EXACTLY like the Bills I've been watching the last few seasons ...

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"You just can't do that and win football games," Jauron said. "Nobody was happy with what happened."

OMG lol, jw being sneaky bastard on us there...

That quote is what worries me though, DJ seems to sound like a stuck record. Is he not getting the message accross or does he simply revert back to a playbook with media quotes to spew?

Preseason performance aside Sal and Jim Kelly their reports didnt exactly make me smile either.

Good article.

To me the story below the surface is the lack of leadership and acknowledgement of how bad this offense has been and maybe still is. I know we are not privy to what happens or what is said behind closed doors but Trent still talks like he is a rookie and he is not responsible. So what that the whole playbook has not been installed? Arguably this makes the situation worse because they can't execute on the limited number of plays that have been installed. I am now left to wonder is this "no huddle" strategy a cruel way to "put lipstick on a pig."

I know there have been many cries of "this is only preseason" on the board. You accept this from a winning veteran team or a younger one that has established the ability to win. The current Bills are neither. The outcome on the scoreboard in preseason games does not matter. The ability to execute plays, development of team presence and creation of a winning attitude, or in the case of the Bills the lack of all these things, does matter.

I for one am sick of hearing we learned a lot by watching film or we know we can do better. We have heard this line from the current roster for at least a couple of seasons. It is time to show that what is learned in the film room or on the practice field translates to results.

Perhaps things will change in September and the Bills will learn how to win. The history shown in the Jauron years strongly suggests otherwise. I have hope for the Bills as an organization and I remain a fan but this hope is erroding by the minute as I see what is happening on the field in these "meaningless" games.

Hmmm, the 20/25 made me curious how our qbs were doing rating wise so far...

Trent Edwards 20/25 for 158 0 td 2 int for a passer rating of 59.7 average gain of 6.3 yards/att.

Larry Fitzpatrick 21/43 for 316 1 td 1 int for a passer rating of 71.5 average gain of 7.3 yards/att.

Gibran Hamdan 23/31 for 263 1 td 1 int for a passer rating of 96.6 average gain of 8.5 yards/att.

This is a direct result of Jauron's system. This is a trend that comes with his style/philosophy...don't make mistakes, and hopefully good things will happen....meanwhile successful teams are making their own success. Successful teams like the Pats, Steelers, and Colts attack their opponents on all fronts. Good things will happen more often than not with this philosophy.

Bills no-huddle attack also producing no TDs

Yikes. Some ugly statistics in that story, Mr. Wawrow -- although, as you noted, "having Owens on the field would help."

This quote bugged me a little, though: "Added receiver Josh Reed: 'That's not the Buffalo Bills. That's not what we want to be known as.'"

That's not the Bills? The offense that improved to 25th in yardage and 23rd in scoring last season, from 30th in both categories the year before? And on that third-and-goal handoff vs. Chicago to set up the FG, I could have sworn that it looked EXACTLY like the Bills I've been watching the last few seasons ...

Hey...why try to score a TD when you have a 3rd down 14 yards from the end zone when you can hand it off and kick a FG?

9 drives, 3 games, 0 touch downs. Absolutely abysmal preseason thus far for the first team offense. Makes you wonder if they'll try and show something, anything this weekend against Pittsburgh. At some point just sheer pride has to kick in, right?

Hmmm, the 20/25 made me curious how our qbs were doing rating wise so far...

Trent Edwards 20/25 for 158 0 td 2 int for a passer rating of 59.7 average gain of 6.3 yards/att.

Larry Fitzpatrick 21/43 for 316 1 td 1 int for a passer rating of 71.5 average gain of 7.3 yards/att.

Gibran Hamdan 23/31 for 263 1 td 1 int for a passer rating of 96.6 average gain of 8.5 yards/att.

Who is Larry Fitzpatrick? <_<

This guy????

This is a direct result of Jauron's system. This is a trend that comes with his style/philosophy...don't make mistakes, and hopefully good things will happen....meanwhile successful teams are making their own success. Successful teams like the Pats, Steelers, and Colts attack their opponents on all fronts. Good things will happen more often than not with this philosophy.

Quick, what do all those teams have in common?

GO BILLS!!!

got tied up with a few things today, so haven't been able to log in.

as noted in story, this is preseason and i still think T.O. being on the field makes a big difference in opening up attack.

from looks of it, Owens may not play until at least preseason finale at the earliest.

i think Fred's injury is worrisome, though we might not know how bad/good? until we get an update tomorrow.

jw

OMG lol, jw being sneaky bastard on us there...

That quote is what worries me though, DJ seems to sound like a stuck record. Is he not getting the message accross or does he simply revert back to a playbook with media quotes to spew?

Preseason performance aside Sal and Jim Kelly their reports didnt exactly make me smile either.

thanks bladiebla. you may not know it, but i do go by the handle of "Bastard." it's the name of my hockey fantasy pool team, "The Bastards," which is actually short for "Bastards of Young," the anthemic cult hit produced by my favorite band, The 'Mats, which of course is short for "The Replacement."

sorry, couldn't help but get in that plug.

jw

from looks of it, Owens may not play until at least preseason finale at the earliest.

Is it because he's getting the Bruce Smith treatment, or is the injury really serious?

i think Fred's injury is worrisome, though we might not know how bad/good? until we get an update tomorrow.

jw

Did Jauron or anyone else say how the injury happened? That could give a hint of the severity.

Oh yeah, was Bell back at practice?