whitner assures team will be ready

bigskyfan

Does anyone besides me wonder why going into the fifth week of training camp, and knowing the team will be facing a 3-4 most of their games, they have not already been practicing against it?

Ridiculous thing to think about. Maybe they think that the defense won't be ready if they don't practice the schemes they intend to use, which is the 4-3...that's the only thing I can think as a reason why the offense doesn't practice against the 3-4. That's no excuse to not practice against it, but we are talking about the Bills here.

I remember the last time the Bills made the playoffs...I didn't have ANY grey hair then. We were one of only a couple teams using the 3-4, I believe. We were also the #1 rated defense in the league that year. Now the 3-4 is all the rage, and the Bills seem to have no idea how to react to it...not the first clue. Everyone in our division uses it, for crying out loud. It should be near the top of their list of things to focus on offensively, yet Chris Brown says that he's NEVER seen the Bills defense using it in practice.

It's too late now, but maybe the Bills should switch to a 3-4 next year. They should be using it in practice A LOT though. How else is the offense going to get better against it? Wait till the real games?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How many plays would any player make when the team is completely unable to put pressure on the QB under any circumstance?

There isn't a Safety in the National Football League who plays on an island and it's no secret that the best ones don't play on teams that don't have a single impact pass rusher.

Virtually ALL turnovers and big plays on defense are the result of pressure or disruption on the opposite side of the line of scrimmage. The BILLS get virtually no penetration whatsoever when they rush 4. NONE. The fact that the BILLS get almost no interceptions in the center of the field is not a coincidence.

Whitner is known for playing his position while most of the guys around him are getting blown the !@#$ up. And our fan base blames him for circumstances that are obviously (to football people) beyond his control.

Thank you and the rest of the "football people" in the know who make excuses. I've seen many outstanding defensive players on bad or mediocre teams and despite the lack of talent around them it was obvious that they were great players.

So what you're saying is that he'd be on the level of a Sean Taylor, Ed Reed or Troy Polamalu if only he were on a better defensive team?

Thank you and the rest of the "football people" in the know who make excuses. I've seen many outstanding defensive players on bad or mediocre teams and despite the lack of talent around them it was obvious that they were great players.

So what you're saying is that he'd be on the level of a Sean Taylor, Ed Reed or Troy Polamalu if only he were on a better defensive team?

There are elevators and there are the elevated. Go figure.

Name some. Make sure they are safeties.

Like Taylor? Probably not. Their games are different. Like Reed? Probably not. Reed has ball skills that few in this game have ever possessed. Like Polamalu? Yeah, I could see that. Of course we have to keep in mind that Whitner has played FS for all of one season in his life.

Steelers are gonna be our scout team this week? Nice!

Hope they don't do none of that game planning---just lay there and let us figure it out!

The Steelers have their own pre-season problems...Their QB is out, their backup looked sh-- against Washington, thier 3rd stringer is out with a shoulder separation.....Limas Sweed has been dropping balls left and right.....

Yet...they have that #1 defense......which is a 3-4 defense that likes to pin its ears behind and go after the QB...It will be a solid test for our OL and Edwards....

The biggest problem with the Bills actually is not Edwards, but its inability to run the ball in the pre-season. If the running game cannot get yards consistently on 1st and 2nd downs, the passing is going to struggle....Green Bay truly exposed our running game and the inability of the offense to be one-dimensional.

Name some. Make sure they are safeties.

Like Taylor? Probably not. Their games are different. Like Reed? Probably not. Reed has ball skills that few in this game have ever possessed. Like Polamalu? Yeah, I could see that. Of course we have to keep in mind that Whitner has played FS for all of one season in his life.

Larry Wilson, Ken Houston, and Kenney Easley just to name a few. These guys consistently kicked butt regardless of being on lousy teams or not. Does Donte?

Having a # 8 pick in the entire draft "not be horrible" is just not good enough!! That's exactly why the Bills are mired in mediocrity!

That is exactly right.

Whitner is a leader in mouth only. I don't want to hear his playoff guarantees or his pleas for fans to not give up. He should keep his mouth shut and make a play - so far his arrogance is way out of proportion with his playmaking.

Larry Wilson, Ken Houston, and Kenney Easley just to name a few. These guys consistently kicked butt regardless of being on lousy teams or not. Does Donte?
More recently, it wasn't until last year that Arizona was any good, yet Adrian Wilson was a very solid safety. The Rams D is pretty bad, yet O.J. Atogwe has proven to be a nice playmaker. And the Packers D was not very good last year, yet that didn't stop Nick Collins from being an impact player at S.

If Lil Donte showed ANY sign of potential re: being an impact player, you could almost excuse his lack of production & blame it on the garbage surrounding him. But outside of a few plays, he has shown nothing in 3 years.

How many plays would any player make when the team is completely unable to put pressure on the QB under any circumstance?

There isn't a Safety in the National Football League who plays on an island and it's no secret that the best ones don't play on teams that don't have a single impact pass rusher.

Virtually ALL turnovers and big plays on defense are the result of pressure or disruption on the opposite side of the line of scrimmage. The BILLS get virtually no penetration whatsoever when they rush 4. NONE. The fact that the BILLS get almost no interceptions in the center of the field is not a coincidence.

Whitner is known for playing his position while most of the guys around him are getting blown the !@#$ up. And our fan base blames him for circumstances that are obviously (to football people) beyond his control.

I dont blame Whitner. I blame the pick, you ask anyone from that Tampa Bay D why they were so successful and they will tell you we were able to pressure the QBs with their front 4. You can put Whitner, Byrd or Scott where ever you want and it wont make a bit of difference because our front 4 is garbage.